Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    I forgot, thank you for your service! I can only get, at most, a couple of miles into the woods and can't do that if I don't keep everything lightweight. Before I got things together, my husband carried my stuff up to the first group hang I attended. For me, just changing out from a synthetic bag to down under quilt and top quilt made a world of difference. I was also amazed at how much my clothes weigh.
    It will be a challenging adventure for sure ^_^

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    I recommend reading "beyond backpacking". By ray jardine. It's both practical and philosophical in theory of going ultralight. He's done the triple crown, and a few others. Do a few shake down hikes and document what u never used, and eliminate. I've changed systems at least 7 times, so enjoy the ride as u discover what HYOH really means.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma96 View Post
    Now that is the most important thing. LOL. I think the Basic load was about 150 for 5.56 when I was serving.
    Hooah.

That stuff is getting darn expensive and hard to come by nowadays. I am having a difficult time keeping enough for my .45lc just for practice.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky kid View Post
    ... I've changed systems at least 7 times, so enjoy the ride as u discover what HYOH really means.
    I know the feeling.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    I don't take extra clothes other than insulation like a jacket, and sometimes a shirt to sleep in that I haven't been hiking in all day. Honestly, if 90% or more of your waking day is spent hiking and the rest eating (okay so eating will increase in % over time), then you don't need much to keep you warm during the day (on most days), and then just go to bed.
    The PolyPros are like undergarments and insulators.

How do you compensate for the underwear getting stanky and crusty?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    I forgot, thank you for your service! I can only get, at most, a couple of miles into the woods and can't do that if I don't keep everything lightweight. Before I got things together, my husband carried my stuff up to the first group hang I attended. For me, just changing out from a synthetic bag to down under quilt and top quilt made a world of difference. I was also amazed at how much my clothes weigh.
    I saw a YouTube video series with a guy like Red Green that FireInMyBones showed me. He described the underquilt. What is up with the overquilt?

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy View Post

I used to use polypros, but they are too heavy and not very efficient for a thru. Usable, but heavy for their warmth.

What underwear? Kidding... I wash my running shorts (acting as my underwear) every few days.

I saw a YouTube video series with a guy like Red Green that FireInMyBones showed me. He described the underquilt. What is up with the overquilt?
    You mean Shug, right? Underquilt (UQ) keeps your butt warm by haning on the outside of your hammock so you do not compress the insulation and make it useless and an overquilt/ Topquilt (TQ) is like a lightweight version of a sleeping bag with no zipper or hood. Removing the zipper cuts out the weight and contributes to the feeling of your top insulation feeling less constricting. You can tuck it around you like a quilt instead of being zipped up in it.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Merino wool is like the energizer bunny of fabrics, it stays smelling fresh for a long time (but it is expensive). Synthetics get stinky in a flash. Wool is best in winter time. Silk is great for summer, but also expensive.

Each person has his own system, but one idea is to have what you wear, plus one change, plus something to sleep at night.

For an example of clothing over the different seasons, take a look at the link below. Of course, that is what works for that particular person, but it may give you a few ideas. He also has put together a gear list.

http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/2157...othing-system/

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Even if I stay within my weight goal?
    Some of the stuff might get lost in that oversized pack

Going as lite as possible allows you to enjoy the hike. Just don't go so lite you are not prepared for the conditions you will be hiking / camping in.

Lots of good info here and on Whiteblaze on how to reduce your pack weight.

As suggested, get a scale that weighs in grams and ounces. One that weighs up to 5 pounds is big enough. Make a spreadsheet and weigh everything you plan on taking and then take a hard cold look at the spreadsheet. If you are packing something that weighs more than that (other than food and or water) its too heavy and you need to look for a lighter weight solution.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    You asked for advice, so here it is. Understand that what is important to me may not be important to you, etc. Anyway, I see way too much redundancy in this list. You don't need both a notepad and a logbook. Choose one. Discard the hatchet and pick the knife or multi-tool. Better, discard all three and find a lightweight folding knife with about a two and a half in blade. Discard the sharpening stone - you can borrow one a various stops if you really need it. You list "compass & asthmas" and a "button compass". Pick one. You don't need two compasses. Emergency crank radio - too heavy, just get a small radio that meets your needs. You list two books and the bible. This might be a good time to see if a Kindle (the one's without the back light) and see if you can download your book choices to it. The battery life on those are about two to three weeks. You'll need a padded case for it, but it will still weigh less than one book. I know you can download the bible to it, pretty sure you can find a downloadable guide to edible plants. Not sure you really need the US Army Survival, Evasion and Recovery book. We promise not to shoot you if we see you on the trail!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast