Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    I agree on not taking the big compass, but having no compass is not a place I'd ever want to find myself.
    Having a scale is super helpful for keeping everything in check.
    The books are fine for what you want to do, but I mentioned mail drops to you the other day (mailing things to yourself further down the trail so you could have it whe you need it), I recommend using that for yor AT guide. take what you need for the first little while until you get to the first USPS where you have the next section waiting for you.

Several people hardly even use a knife on the AT. However, Hike Your Own Hike (HYOH). If you want to carry something that is most multi-use, I'd take the knife over the hatchet.
    How does one "set up" a mail drop? Does it cost money to reserve the space at the post office?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitino View Post
    The AT is a well-marked trail with plenty of resupply points along the way, so the chances of getting lost and having to rely on eating the vegetation are very low. So you could easily ditch the first two books, and save yourself the agony.

You also probably won't need the hatchet, big knife (something to spread peanut butter will be enough), emergency radio, sharpening stone, and even the compass.

Water bladders are convenient for day trips, but for multi-day outings many folks just prefer to carry a couple of 32 oz. re-purposed Gatorade bottles.

Whiteblaze.net is a sister forum with a huge amount of info about hiking the AT. You can submit your gear list for critique from folks who have a lot of experience hiking that trail. And they have a hammocking sub-forum as well.
    The hatchet is for wood prep and stake driving -in my mind. The Gatorade bottles are a good switch, I think. The books, I planned to downgrade by taking the pages that benefit the most. I can probably leave the AT book in place for those maps. I worry too much about getting lost, I guess

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Wow my back is hurting thinking about all that stuff. I do take an emergency radio myself, no way without one. My pack weighs about 30 lbs with food and 3 liters of water.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma96 View Post
    Wow my back is hurting thinking about all that stuff. I do take an emergency radio myself, no way without one. My pack weighs about 30 lbs with food and 3 liters of water.
    Oh, I know! But the full Army gear is over 200 lbs with an assault pack, armor, ammo, water, and all. We never took that 2K miles, but we had to move fast with it. I hope to be much lighter than that and mosey a bit more. With all the food and water, I need to be . . . idk 25lbs or under?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer4953 View Post
    Welcome from a fellow vet. I'm also planning several long backpacking trips in the near future and personally I am trying to lower my pack weight as much as I can and still be comfortable. I used to carry a lot of items that I rarely used..(a K-Bar that only came out of its sheath for me to sharpen). I've even stopped carrying my canister stove for an alcohol stove that I made myself.

Good luck on your hike
    Thank you.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Fireinmybones is too kind. Take items 27, 28 and 30. Chuck most of the rest. Test hikes ahead of time will show you what you'll use.
    I, uh... I don't really know about that. What about clothes?

I will test my gear out on Memorial Day weekend. I plan to start in early June supposing the VA doesn't tie me down with any stuff.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I forgot, thank you for your service! I can only get, at most, a couple of miles into the woods and can't do that if I don't keep everything lightweight. Before I got things together, my husband carried my stuff up to the first group hang I attended. For me, just changing out from a synthetic bag to down under quilt and top quilt made a world of difference. I was also amazed at how much my clothes weigh.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I don't take extra clothes other than insulation like a jacket, and sometimes a shirt to sleep in that I haven't been hiking in all day. Honestly, if 90% or more of your waking day is spent hiking and the rest eating (okay so eating will increase in % over time), then you don't need much to keep you warm during the day (on most days), and then just go to bed.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy View Post
    ammo
    Now that is the most important thing. LOL. I think the Basic load was about 150 for 5.56 when I was serving.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You should check out a book by Andrew Skurka, The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide. He's also got several videos on YouTube.
    Not all who wander are lost...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast