Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Tried out my new Flex 180

I got my Flex a couple of weeks ago, but didn’t try it out until last weekend in Algonquin Park.

I’m quite pleased with the Flex and look forward to further testing this summer.

M.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Tried out my new Flex 180

That's a fine looking hammock!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Having been given the tour by Mongrel, I can say it looks like a great hammock for those that want some room to either store gear or to share a hammock with someone.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Mongrel,

Looks good!

Did you use 2 or 3 support tie off points ?

Is there a difference in the comfort of the hammock using 2 or 3 support tie offs?

Thanks
    God bless! Brent

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.
    -- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
    -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    That's a fine looking hammock!
    Thanks Mike!

Did you use 2 or 3 support tie off points ?

Is there a difference in the comfort of the hammock using 2 or 3 support tie offs?
    hawkerev, I used 3 tie offs (3 trees); I haven't tried 2 points yet, but there's a thread about using a spreader bar. I got a JRB spreader bar based on the recommendation from that thread for the times I'll only have two trees. I don't expect much difference between the comfort level of two points versus three points when using the spreader bar.

I slept 2 nights in the Flex and was very comfortable. The first night, I slept right through the night and that's rare for me. The second night, I woke up at the urging of my bladder (he was very insistent); I got out to appease him and went right back to sleep. I didn't get up again until well past first light. I've tried a number of other hammocks, but this one is the most comfortable for me. YMMV

A shout out to Keith Hubble, Hiker Philly, russwestwood and others in the Flex 180 threads. Because of their comments, photos and mods, I decided that the Flex was worth a try and I'm very happy I did.

M.

Hammock
    Flex180, BMBH, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mongrel,

What kind of insulation is that? Looks tight and form fitting. Great investment!
    Neo

Family, faith, & friends - all that really matters!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hubble View Post
    Mongrel,

What kind of insulation is that? Looks tight and form fitting. Great investment!
    That's a 20* Zeppelin by Underground Quilt. The UQ didn't need any mods on the gathered end of the Flex, but I sewed a 26" length of velcro for the wide end. The velcro made sure there was no sag to the wide end for drafts to get in. The sides stayed close with the help of soft shackles at the poles. However, I'm not 100% happy with the way the shackles pulled the poles in. I'm going to see if there's a way of keeping the sides tight without pushing the poles in.

As far as quilts go, I love the UGQ's. I also have a 0*. The quality is outstanding and his communications and customer service are the best.

M.

Hammock
    WBRR-WBBB
    Tarp
    Cloudburst-Hanger
    Insulation
    NeoAir-Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch hook
    @ Mongrel, congrats! It's a nice investment. Plenty of room for gear and/or an extra person (kid)

@ hawkerev, a spreader bar works. Nevertheless, i like to use the three ropes separate if possible. If you are alone? The third rope gives you the opportunity to fine tune the flattest position. If you are together with a kid? Than the third rope gives the opportunity to balance the difference in weight between you and the kid.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Question for any of the Flex owners:

Does the flex 180 work well for stomach sleepers? I am a true stomach sleeper, not half way on the side or any other almost on the stomach position. I mean I do my share of flopping around from stomach to side to back etc., but I fall asleep best when I'm on my stomach and my face turned to the right. I have yet to find a hammock that allows me to do that. Hence the reason I do very well sleeping on the ground. I haven't given up on hammocks yet but I'm getting pretty close.

So, any stomach sleepers that love the Flex?

Thanks!

Images
    KP,

I didn't sleep on my stomach, but I tried different positions when testing it out. I found that when my head was at the gathered end and I was diagonal, being on my stomach was not comfortable. However, when I had my head at the wide end, laying on my stomach in a diagonal was quite comfortable. There's a centre ridge created by extra fabric that supported my torso so my back wasn't hyperextended. My legs were at the gathered end towards the edge with the zipper and I could shift them easily as the space was plenty wide (to accommodate a person sleeping end to end). It felt comfortable and I had room to shift and adjust. YMMV There's so much room, I was lying in the middle and spinning in circles on my back. I tucked my knees up to my chest and twirled around inside like I was break dancing.

quiet

(formerly mongrel)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast