Bear Mt Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Neo Air All Season
    Suspension
    whoopies

BMBH suspension advice needed…

I am about to change the suspension webbing on my JRB BMBH to whoopies to give me a longer reach between trees and hopefully make set up easier. I thought while doing this maybe I would try to eliminate the metal rings and webbing that makes the rest of the suspension (head and foot end triangle). I plan on keeping the stock spreader bars (for now) which are aluminum with coated notch at each end to accept a metal ring at each corner of the hammock.

What I am struggling with is: what is the best way to connect the whoopies to the hammock while eliminating the remaining webbing and rings. I have a few ideas sketched and would love some feedback - good, bad or a different idea. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Grizzly Adams did an episode of ask Professor Hammock on just this topic.

Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps

BMBH suspension advice needed…

Good sketches. I think either 1 or 3 would work. Number 2 I think would have a tendency to slide from 1 side to the other. I tried it that way on my mini spreader bar tablecloth hammock an it didn't want to stay centered. Might be different with the longer length.

Hammock
    Bear Mt Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Neo Air All Season
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have seen the Profs video - it is partly what inspired me to mod my bridge. But I am sure there are many ways to do this and I was thinking of incorporating whoopie hooks for ease of setup - but maybe I don't need them.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tdilf View Post
    I am about to change the suspension webbing on my JRB BMBH to whoopies to give me a longer reach between trees and hopefully make set up easier. I thought while doing this maybe I would try to eliminate the metal rings and webbing that makes the rest of the suspension (head and foot end triangle). I plan on keeping the stock spreader bars (for now) which are aluminum with coated notch at each end to accept a metal ring at each corner of the hammock.

What I am struggling with is: what is the best way to connect the whoopies to the hammock while eliminating the remaining webbing and rings. I have a few ideas sketched and would love some feedback - good, bad or a different idea. Thanks.
    Leftmost sketch---I don't have a whoopie hook in front of me, but my memory is that the the slot in the hook for cord is very nicely sized for one loop. But will the second loop stay in place??? Don't know if the hook is deep enough to secure that.

Middle sketch. Your hook is not going to stay centered. This is the Voice Of Experience speaking.

Rightmost sketch. That should work, but may lengthen the necessary distance between trees by a little, as the smallest diameter of spiced loops is pretty large.

Of late I have been bringing the two sides of a suspension triangle together using a locked brummel followed immediately by a diamond knot, see below.
    One of the strands and the far side of the knot goes on to be a UCR bury,
    but for this discussion that is beside the point.
    Screen Shot 2013-05-10 at 10.49.23 PM.png

A way you could make a pretty small diameter single strand loop for the hook is to construct the suspension triangle by
    a) measure out enough cord for buried loops at the corners, enough length on the side, and a diamond knot at the top, and cut it.
    b) make the buried loops at each end.
    c) find the center, and make a diamond knot such that the two strands coming in the "bottom" of the knot are from a small loop---the one the hook will grab. On the far side of the knot put in a brummel and some stitching (unless you can put in a locked brummel on one end of a cord, a skill I have not mastered). This last bit is to keep the lines going into the diamond knot more or less parallel, and not trying to pull the knot apart.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Maybe the Dutch Biners will accept both loops?
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Bear Mt Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Neo Air All Season
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Grizz - I think you are right the whoopie hook is probably only deep enough for one section of cord.

Thanks for the suggestion with the diamond knot, I might have to try that although I think it is a bit above my current skill level.

Loki - hadn't thought of that but it should work.

• + New Posts