Converting an old HH to Woopie Slings

Hello to all,
    I have an older HH with a single line for the ridge and suspension. The line is gray and appears to be made of nylon covered core. I want to convert it to woopie slings and change the ridge line to a seperate line.
    Can someone offer some suggestions on how to best do this?

Hammock
    H Expedition, WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Images
    I have been playing with this same idea. Converting to whoopie's is simple enough, as for replacing the RL the route I was going to go was to use Amsteel Chain Links (one on each end), and adjustable RL (either Amsteel or Zing IT), then either soft shackles or mini-biners to connect it together.

I would recommend doing both upgrades at the same time, when you replace the suspension with whoopies would be a great time to run the chain links (or whatever you choose) through the hammock ends. I would have a couple of biners on hand to loop through the links to prevent loosing the ends one way or another.

Just my thoughts...haven't done this yet as I am toying with selling my HH, so I can only offer my theory on how to approach this.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    since my HH was already using 2 separate lines, when i got it, i thought i would re-post the pics of how it was done, in hope they would help you in your quest

the 1st pic is what i found when i pulled the cover back

the 2nd is how HH had the RL attached to the original suspension

the 3rd is the link i built to replace the suspension & the 4th is the new link in place

once everything was done & the original cover replaced, my snake skins bunch up against the stainless steel ring(i use sailboat/stainless fittings because i am comfortable w/ them & i can just run down to the shop to pick them up)

my WHOOPIES LARKS HEAD to the rings for the purpose of removal when wet

i tied a bit of colored string to the head end ring, for orientation purposes

still working on my fly system

just an old man's attempt @ making things a bit modular for easy(not weight saving, since i cage & M/C camp) assembly/set-up & maintenance

sw
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Thanks folks, great information.
    All the videos I have viewed have the seperate RL. I think I can figure it out, but was concerned about seperating the RL from the suspension line.
    I think if I use a RL and connect it to the suspension like the newer models it will work.

I'll post pics of how it looks later.

Thanks again,

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    do yourself a favor and measure between two reference points so you can put ir back to the original ridge line length. I'd do it when the hammock was hung. YMMV.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Thanks, I was concerned the the length of the RL had to be exact.
    What if I use an adjustable ridge line? Then I woud be able to make it tight after I hung the hammock?.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Personally, I wouldn't mess with the HH ridgeline. It's an integral part of the overall HH design. I replaced the suspension on my HH Expedition Asym Zip with whoopie slings but didn't touch the stock ridgeline.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The ridge line holds up the bug net and compensates for a badly hung hammock. Under ideal conditions it will be snug but not under high tension. Under less than ideal conditions it will keep the slack in the hammock constant for a good lie.

Once you get a length that works for you it is a set it and forget it deal. The exception is if you do not have a bug net or have it zippered. Then some folks like to remove the ridge line when sitting sideways in the hammock. That brings up the other HENNESSY PROBLEM. You cannot really change the length too much or the bug net sags or tears.

If you want to play with ridge line lengths to see what happens and don't want to zipper mod your hammock build a basic one out of 4 yds of nylon. There are several easy ways to do it. Keep some notes and you will learn things. Other folks already ran the experiments but you could be outside what they consider a normal load. ;-)

There is a constant that floats around here of 85% of the hammock length but I expect there is some variation depending one where folks attach the line to the hammock suspension. That is why I recommend folks measure it before they start cutting as then they know what there reference points are.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts