Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps

Reflectix an Option?

So here is my current situation;

Hammock: WBBB XLC (it actually seems to fit me! I'm a big guy)
    Sleeping bag: REI 20 degree down bag
    Under insulation: Inflatable pad

I was out this last weekend and for the most part I was fine at night. The first night was warmer, low 40's or high 30's at about 3900' in the Alpine Lakes area. (PNW) There was some cold but stayed asleep most of the night.

Second night colder, how cold, well when I finally though about getting up it started snowing! So low 30's. All the areas that did not touch the hammock (like the top or side depending on how I moved) was warm an toasty, was almost sweating at night. Also the area ON the pad seemed to do OK, although I think I was pushing through the pad when on my side. (i.e. no or little air at hip bone). But the sides, anyplace that was just the hammock material was a COLD spot.

Making a pad big enough to cover my sides and back and mostly full length would be a rather large pad. Something like 42" to 36" to 24" and 72" long, that's a lot of ccf!

Do any of you think Reflectix would work for this? Maybe with a foam pad in the center for the main body area? I don't think I need a lot of insulation value, but to be honest I really don't know. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

(Also starting a new thread with the same question.)

Wolfman

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Yes. It will work better as wings, butt pad, or foot pad, than it will as a full length, due to the discussed condensation issues. Anything else, like clothes, jacket, hat, gloves, will work too. Don't overlook what you're already carrying. I carry a sit pad, that can be used in the foot box if needed, or placed anywhere else you need to kill a cold spot, but my jacket usually catches anything below my torso, that the pad or UQ can't get to.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DL with Bug Net
    Tarp
    Guid Gear Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Down UQ, SB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Refletix type material

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    So here is my current situation;

Hammock: WBBB XLC (it actually seems to fit me! I'm a big guy)
    Sleeping bag: REI 20 degree down bag
    Under insulation: Inflatable pad

I was out this last weekend and for the most part I was fine at night. The first night was warmer, low 40's or high 30's at about 3900' in the Alpine Lakes area. (PNW) There was some cold but stayed asleep most of the night.

Second night colder, how cold, well when I finally though about getting up it started snowing! So low 30's. All the areas that did not touch the hammock (like the top or side depending on how I moved) was warm an toasty, was almost sweating at night. Also the area ON the pad seemed to do OK, although I think I was pushing through the pad when on my side. (i.e. no or little air at hip bone). But the sides, anyplace that was just the hammock material was a COLD spot.

Making a pad big enough to cover my sides and back and mostly full length would be a rather large pad. Something like 42" to 36" to 24" and 72" long, that's a lot of ccf!

Do any of you think Reflectix would work for this? Maybe with a foam pad in the center for the main body area? I don't think I need a lot of insulation value, but to be honest I really don't know. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

(Also starting a new thread with the same question.)

Wolfman
    I was out this weekend at the Hoosier Halloween hang and I took some reflectix and cut 2 pieces full length and taped them down the middle to make one full width pad and it worked pretty well, Friday night it got down into the high 20's I think and I actually was sweating just a little around the small of my back, and I was able to fold the pad in half and roll it up in my ground tarp and strap it to my pack so it didn't add hardly any weight or bulk to me pack

Hammock
    Fox Outfitters Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / OV Aerie
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I take a windshield shade (reflectix) on all my late fall/winter/early spring hangs. I simply lay it on top of a cheap yoga mat and that gets me by. Of course, I do all of my hangs in MS, AR and AL so it's not ever what I'd call super cold to begin with. I also like the versatility of the reflectix. It's easy to use as a reflector next to the fire to bounce heat back on me. Much better than a rock.

eno.jpg

Hammock
    Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    I think I am going to hit the dollar stores and walmart to see if I can find some cheep pads or windshield covers. I have some of the reflective bubble wrap that Lowe's and HD carry but I just don't think it will be that warm.

Anyone know where to get some of that light blue padding that is about 1/8" thick? I have some that has black foam on one side, and I am thinking that if I could get some more of it, I could make a wide pad that would be light and easy to roll up.

Wolfman

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-See-Um No More
    Tarp
    Hennesey
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    HB - Tree Straps
    I cut a piece of Reflectix the same length as my CCF pad and duct taped them together. Got the idea from a YouTube vid. It works pretty good for me.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 10f
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    If you have a Menard's in your area, they regularly have 2'x25' rolls of reflectix on sale for around $17.

Hammock
    HighlandWare
    Tarp
    Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    HW Buckle & Web

reflectix is a great option

I've had quite a bit of success using just reflectix. I actually stopped using my thermarest pad (the orange lightweight version) in favor of using the reflectix you pick up at the hardware store in large rolls.

It has proven successful for me in temperatures as low as 17 degrees on an exposed, barren (leafless trees) mountain top and have done a lot of winter camping with the set up. I would take two body length rolls of approximately 24" wide reflectix and arrange them inside the hammock so that the two long edges would overlap (I used HVAC tape at one point) so the edges would keep my sides warm as well.

I didn't suffer condensation issues, but I also wrapped myself completely in my down sleeping bag--top and bottom--so that probably helped prevent that problem.

Currently I'm not using the reflectix, though I have some kicking around to use in pinch if needed, as I've got plans on finally making a down UQ. After having fun converting old synthetic sleeping bags into UQ's I'm ready to try my hand at baffle design and some thermodown fun.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tryinhard View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed and I am missing it some where but I'll ask anyway. I work in shipping and recieving and we get boxes in that have a refletix type material inside them. I am curious if anyone has tried a refletix sleep pad? I would have to piece one together out of this material but for budget and weight I'm thinking it might be better than my army surplus sleep pad. Thoughts or ideas?

Brian
    Last edited by wildewudu; 01-19-2014 at 00:17. Reason: mispelling

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    I think I am going to hit the dollar stores and walmart to see if I can find some cheep pads or windshield covers. I have some of the reflective bubble wrap that Lowe's and HD carry but I just don't think it will be that warm.

Anyone know where to get some of that light blue padding that is about 1/8" thick? I have some that has black foam on one side, and I am thinking that if I could get some more of it, I could make a wide pad that would be light and easy to roll up.

Wolfman
    You are on the right track, winshield covers at a dollor store and the thin padding i have seen in the 5 below store being sold as yoga pads for 5 bucks, this works pretty good and is about as inexpensive as it gets, other than free.
    I have also seen those pads on ebay

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234