Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbill winter t
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Fabric choices for quilt

I'm contemplating a MYOG apex 5.0 quilt for 3 season use, to save some money but still have a reliable lightweight sleep system. Here's the different options I've come up with and rough price estimates. Apex would come from Thru-hiker and all the thread, grosgrain, velcro, shock cord, and cordlocks from DIY gear supply.

From Thru-hiker:
    M50 inner and outer = $65
    M90 inner and outer = $60
    Pertex Quantum inner and M50 outer = $78

From DIY gear supply
    1.1 ripstop 2nds inner and outer = $16
    1.1 ripstop 2nds outer and Impetus 1.0 inner = $37

I guess I understand that the higher dollar fabrics can be nicer next to the skin which would be nice when its really hot outside. Just wondering where the cost/benefit curve seems to be the best. This is going to be my first completely DIY quilt. I'm using an old synthetic converted mummy bag right now. If I go with the 1.1 2nds I can probably have enough money left over to make a 2.5 Apex quilt as well which is appealing. I've also had the thought of a single layer of 1.1 ripstop sewn to a single layer of 100 weight fleece for a summer bag when nighttime temps are above 75.

Also, in the interest of disclosure, I am a ground dweller 95% of the time, so this will be used in a silnylon single wall tent.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 dbl layer - Thanks gmcttr!
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    M50 Primaloft TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I am just finishing sewing up my TQ. It is M50 with 6oz Primaloft sport. From a weight perspective, it probably saved about 2 oz vs. the 1.1 oz ripstop. While I'm trying to save weight, I'm not sure it is worth the premium for that alone. You'll have to perform your own cost benefit.

Working with the M50, it has a feel more like a plastic trash bag than fabric. After it is finished with the insulation, the feel is much better. I'm taking it on a Cub Scout overnight trip this weekend, so I'll have a better understanding of the feel and how it sleeps.

In some destructive tests I did, the fabric would stretch like plastic before finally pulling apart. You will want to pay attention on how you install and reinforce any installed grommets or buttons as the fabric could tear in these areas without reinforcement.

My next project will be to make a spare quilt for the kids/wife to take them backpacking. This one will be the same design, but with the 1.1 DIY gear supply seconds.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbill winter t
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks. I ended up ordering 1.1 ripstop from DIY gear supply. Black liner and royal blue shell. Enough for a quilt for me and one for my 4 year old son!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I think you made the right choice. Can't wait to see pictures of those quilts
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings
    I have basically the same questions Nathan had, so I figure I should ask here

1) What does the Pertex offer over the Momentum offerings? It appears heavier and costs much more, and while I'm sure there is some justification, it isn't spelled out on the Thru-hiker site

2) Momentum 50 vs 90 vs Impetus 1.1 shell materials' durability. I'd like to use the tougher of the two for my underquilt outer shell

3) Which couple fabrics have the best hand/feel? I'm planning to make a fairly cold (0-10deg) setup, so vapor handling is important as well. It appears Momentum 90T and Impetus 1.0 are described as nice to the touch; is one nicer than the other?

4) Are any of these a pain to work with? I found sil to be hassle-free on my machine, but I have no experience with these fancier materials.

Thanks for the help, ya'll!

TCB
    www.hammockforums.net --I get it!

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbill winter t
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I made my little boy a quilt first to get the hang of sewing and working with ripstop and apex. Turned out pretty good except for sewing the velcro on to form the footbox. I'm not very happy with how it turned out, but its solid and I'm not going to tear it out. I'll have to do some more studying before I tackle that part of mine. Anyway, here it is. 36x56 with 5.0 apex and 1.1 ripstop. No scale but should be around 12 oz or a little less.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nathan.custer; 05-22-2013 at 18:50.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelToe View Post
    I have basically the same questions Nathan had, so I figure I should ask here

1) What does the Pertex offer over the Momentum offerings? It appears heavier and costs much more, and while I'm sure there is some justification, it isn't spelled out on the Thru-hiker site

2) Momentum 50 vs 90 vs Impetus 1.1 shell materials' durability. I'd like to use the tougher of the two for my underquilt outer shell

3) Which couple fabrics have the best hand/feel? I'm planning to make a fairly cold (0-10deg) setup, so vapor handling is important as well. It appears Momentum 90T and Impetus 1.0 are described as nice to the touch; is one nicer than the other?

4) Are any of these a pain to work with? I found sil to be hassle-free on my machine, but I have no experience with these fancier materials.

Thanks for the help, ya'll!

TCB

bump. Another diy noob here. I have these same questions plus one more,

For a guy with a large torso,will the thru-hiker quilt kit be wide enough for a restless side sleeper? I wouldn't want to complete it only to find out my son just got himself a new quilt.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Baffle View Post
    bump. Another diy noob here. I have these same questions plus one more,

For a guy with a large torso,will the thru-hiker quilt kit be wide enough for a restless side sleeper? I wouldn't want to complete it only to find out my son just got himself a new quilt.
    The easiest way to figure out how wide a quilt one needs is to spend some time snuggled on the sofa under a throw!

Seriously, I took a throw that was rectangular, pinned a footbox into it to try out an idea I had and then spent some time being thoughtful about the width and length and went from there. If you've not got a throw, use a regular blanket folded and pinned to various sizes.

Come to think about it, I've still got that footbox pinned in to the throw, maybe it's time to just modify the darn thing...

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings
    Bump once more;

I've got a pattern for my UQ mocked up in cheap muslin, and I'm ready to buy the real deal now if I can only decide on which fabric to go with

Liner:
    Impetus 1.0 from BWDD--It sounds comfy, but has anyone used it in a quilt, and found it to work well/be downproof?
    Momentum 90T from THer--Also sounds comfy, but is it superior to the Impetus (or basically equivalent?)

Down:
    Bulk pack 1lb 850FP from Wilderness Logics--I only need 15oz (I think) for my 0deg quilt, but this is by far the best deal going

Shell:
    Impetus 1.1 from BWDD--Sounds like a good material, but is described as breathable. Is that a bad thing on a low-temp UQ which may be subject to some wind?
    Momentum 90MR from THer--Seems less wind resistant, and the color selection is (for me) poorer. Does the M90 offer any performance advances over the Impetus?

Lastly--BWDD described the Impetus fabrics as being down tested to 800FP. Does that mean they are rated for down above that level (like the 850FP) or only for down below that level? Lower down has more quills, which are what escape, IIRC, which is why I ask the question.

Thanks for the help, guys.

TCB

**EDIT: Maybe I'm just tired and stupid, but "Impetus" and "Momentum" have disturbingly similar meanings, and fabric properties. They aren't the same thing with different brand names done as an in-joke, or something, are they?

**EDIT:
    Nobull, Impetus, and Momentum are all ~1oz nylon micro-ripstops, all have DWR, and all cost ~10$ a yard. At this point, I will believe them to be identical/interchangeable until shown otherwise
    Last edited by SteelToe; 05-28-2013 at 18:33.
    www.hammockforums.net --I get it!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Watching with vested interest.

How about the Nobul I & II fabrics? Where do they fall in all of this?
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast