Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    Drying clothes on your suspension lines is awesome, unless the wind keeps blowing htem off. You can carry three wood or plastic clothes pins to keep them on the line, ...
    Plastic bread clips make cheap, lightweight clothes pins.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Black Cat
    Insulation
    Exped 7
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    Always carry a bandana. They have 1,001 uses.

I use Clorox Handi-Wipes for a washcloth or towel. They soak up a lot of water and dry really fast.

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    Bandanas rock. Hard to find ones that get soft over time anymore though. The ones I have bought lately stay stiff after washing a hundred times. I've even boiled them with fabric softener. They say 100 percent cotton, but I think they are 100% cotton stems...or worse.

S

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps

Ditch Medicine

I carry a tube of super glue for cuts. Works only on CUTS, no good on scrapes. Once the bleeding slows or stops, hold the cut open and run a bit of glue in it. Then close the cut and dab off the excess. It may sting a bit, but it bonds skin if not instantly, then quickly. Been doing this for years, now I learn they even do it in the hospital. Being on blood thinners after a coupla strokes, I use stick style anti-perspirant as a styptic to slow or stop bleeding. Use anti-perspirant, not deoderant. I use Old Spice brand. crunch some up and rub it into the wound or cut, then apply pressure. Some backwoodsmen claim black pepper does the same, I'm gonna give it a try, but habit makes me grab the old spice.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I read that hospitals use a special kind of superglue...the kind you buy in the store has traces of cyanide and theirs doesn't. But it said that the cyanide level is so low that it shouldn't affect anyone with occasional use, so I carry it anyway.

Never thought about using antiperspirant. I've thought about taking a shaving styptic pencil in my first aid kit, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    .... I've thought about taking a shaving styptic pencil in my first aid kit, though.
    That's a great idea ... a piece of one would do it ... small, light weight ... wouldn't add much to a carry kit at all.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ice man View Post
    It may sting a bit
    That is a nice euphemism to describe the excruciating pain you will experience when doing this. It works well, though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Pulling this bit of insight from my preference of using traditional wet-shaving techniques and equipment over the modern pieces of plastic shaving cr@p that are now standard:

If you prefer to pack a multi-use item, try packing a small piece of a block of alum. It’s mainly marketed as a “chemical free” deodorant, but can also be used in place of a styptic. I rub a block of alum over my face after shaving, taking the place of after shave lotion. It tightens the skin and closes the pores, and is very effective at stopping the bleeding in minor cuts. I doubt it would close a cut that would require super glue to close, though.

I’ve been using the same two blocks of alum at home (one for shaving, one for deodorant) for almost a year, and they both are only slightly smaller than when I first purchased them. Yeah, alum isn’t an antiperspirant, but if all you need is odor protection it’s fantastic stuff and costs a fraction of the sticks and sprays that people normally use.

Sorry, I shave with a straight razor, or occasionally an old Gillette DE, and it’s not all that common that bits of knowledge from that ‘hobby’ can be passed on in another area.
    [/Preaching]

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    re super glue for cuts. medical grade S G is available but the ordinary works ok. get the fast acting stuff, it will slough off in a wk or so, used it on animals for years,(the medical grade of course!) gnome

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    I've used super glue for years, and on some pretty major wounds. One thing I've found that's important is not to close the wound by pouring the glue into the cut, but by "painting" a stitch over the wound while it's closed. If the glue goes down into the cut, you will bear a knotty scar, the other way, hardly any scar at all.

S

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast