DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Am I Doing It Wrong?

I have yet another question for you experts. I have a RevX top quilt from EnLIGHTened Equipment that I can't seem to stay warm with. When I used this with my hammock, I always woke up cold during the night at 20+ degrees. This is unfortunate given the bag is for 0 degrees and I have 2oz of overstuff. This is my first down bag. The specs are 6'6", regular width, and the overstuff. I took it out last night and slept on a air mattress. I woke again feeling like I had nothing except a sheet over me. Luckily I had a -40F TNF sleeping bag that I could crawl into I have it tucked around my sides and layered up appropriately but still was cold. Is down just not my thing? Could it be a flaw in the quilt? Would hate to sell it so soon. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Am I Doing It Wrong?

What under quilt are you using?
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    HG Incubator(0F). Wasn't content with the fit on the DB 72 which is why I sold it. Thought this was the case until the last night I used it, I realized I wasn't cold on the bottom as I was through the TQ. I felt the inside on the TQ and it was cold.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Am I Doing It Wrong?

It may still be the under insulation, if cold is getting you from the bottom you will still be cold all over, it's nit really like a missing bolt on a machine, if there is plenty down and it's not compressed it should keep you warm.

If the air mattress you used is unsuitable for those temps then that is probably the problem... the uq you had maybe wasn't dialed in correctly?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Put a Closed Cell Foam pad on or under your air pad and try it. You can think of quilts as top and bottom halves of a sleeping bag. Ideally you have two quits or a quilt and an insulated pad. CCF is good insulation but lousy padding so putting a thin air pad over a CCF makes a good ground setup. In a hammock a CCF will sort of conform to the hammock so it provides the insulation layer. The alternative is a bottom quilt along with the top quilt.

How are you dressed and how was the quilt rated? Some folks like to take off their shoes and crawl in. Some of us sleep in something else like clean dry heavy fleece underwear. That can make a big difference. Depending on how the quilt was rated the maker may or may not be factoring in clothing.

The last issue is what shape you are in before going to bed. If you are hungry, cold, and damp you will have a hard time warming up.

Talk back and someone will point out what to change. We are very good at giving advice! ;-))
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Could be, will order a Darien UL soon and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice guys And if I still am cold, then to heck with the quilts and I'll just rock the TNF sleeping bag

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Were you in the hammock last night? or just sleeping on the air mattress?

Uninsulated air mattresses are terrible insulators, they actually wick the heat out of you.

If you were in the hammock and using the uq and the tq, you should have been comfortable...if not too warm? The air matress will still wick heat away, even with a uq. Thermarest styled air mattresses have built in insulation (a thin pad that lofts and traps heat). Without that insulation, the air moves around in the matress.

I'd be happy to come up and check out your set-up, maybe the uq isnt sealed right?

Give me a pm if you'd like to meet?

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I was sleeping on the ground on a thermarest air mattress but its only a 3 season, but I thought this had to do more with inflation loss than temperature. Gargoyle, if it doesn't work with my Darien UL than I will have to meet you when I'm down in Wyoming(we can meet halfway from there). Didn't realize that it had anything to do with the equipment under me so this brings me hope!

Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Am I Doing It Wrong?

In a hammock, the insulation under you is more important than the insulation on top!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Watch Shug's videos on using UQs. You might not have the UQ snug against the hammock. If there are any gaps, the cold air will find its way in and instant CBS. Try to snug the UQ to the point where it is just starting to lift the hammock and once you are in the hammock have a friend check the ends to make sure there is not a gap. If there is then have the friend adjust the UQ ends to eliminate the gaps.

I use a RevX 0 degree and a 30 degree with 3/4 and FL UQs (down and Sythen) and stay nice and warm. As I am on blood thinners I can be very sensitive to cold and CBS is not fun/
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast