Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Big Agnes sleeping bag w/ pad?

Has anyone used a Big Agnes sleeping bag and pad system for their hammock? If so, would you mind sharing your opinions of the set-up? I'm still experiencing problems slipping off the pad at times and wonder if the Big Agnes arrangement, where the pad is actually a part of the sleeping bag, would work any better. I'm not adverse to spending the money but don't want to do so if folks haven't found it to work for them.

That's all for now. Thanks for any help and advice you can give me. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Nothing beats an UQ but too answer your question. Big Agnes sleeping bag and pad did a great job compared to just a sleeping bag with pad under it. If you are looking to change I would suggest you look into an UQ and use sleeping bag until you can get a TQ.Just my 2 cents
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Thanks for your reply. I spent last night out with a class I teach and it was my first night out in the hammock. We had a major wind & rain storm and I kept slipping off the pad; which is why I asked my original question. At the moment I'm still committed to pads since I end up in a lot of places and will still have to be on the ground from time to time so an underquilt isn't in the cards for the near future.

That's all for now. If anyone has something to offer I'd love to hear from you. Until then...Be well.

snapper

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Here is another option that may work for you using pads it's called the SPE segmented pad extender, it is in the video below at around 7:50. I would suggest the whole video and the other 9 in the series by Shug...

"I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Actually, I used an SPE last evening; albeit a homemade one. Maybe I'm just still too new to the process but it didn't seem to work as well as I'd hoped it would. Of course, it also took me until 5 AM to finally find the sweet spot in my hammock

Until next time...Be well.

snapper

I use a Big Agnes Fish Hawk that I slide a reflectix pad into. It was a revelation. Now, I'm in a bridge hammock so the sides don't compress my bag, so you might want a pad extender for thearms but, man, it's so "stupid simple" with the pad + big agnes combo.. I love it for the comfort and versatility. Some Big Ag bags use hydrophobic down as well so there's a little piece of mind if you have to go to ground in any given situation.

Slo - Thanks for your reply. I looked at the "Fish Hawk" and see it's only listed as being one ounce more than their "Lost Ranger" but I may still go with the Ranger since the temperature rating is for down to 15 F. I appreciate your suggestion about the reflective pad. That makes sense so I'll look into it. I'm thinking I can velcro another thin pad to the sleeping bag's pocket to handle the area from my shoulders to hips. With a little velcro, and some luck, this may all work out.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Yeah, I found the Fish Hawk on sale for 130.00 when I got it and it was one of the lightest for the price. Hope to hear what your experiences are with this setup

Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    Slo - Thanks for your reply. I looked at the "Fish Hawk" and see it's only listed as being one ounce more than their "Lost Ranger" but I may still go with the Ranger since the temperature rating is for down to 15 F. I appreciate your suggestion about the reflective pad. That makes sense so I'll look into it. I'm thinking I can velcro another thin pad to the sleeping bag's pocket to handle the area from my shoulders to hips. With a little velcro, and some luck, this may all work out.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

I've used two Big Agnes bags in hammocks - Fish Hawk and Moon Hill. Using Volara pads, I've been down to 18F comfortably. For the full length pad mine is 1/2" thick, and then around the torso area I have a second pad that is 1/4" think with dimensions of about 40x45. I use this to provide side protection and additional torso insulation, and that second pad is also my summer pad.

Big Anges Supporter

I'll admit upfront I'm a newbie. Just got my hammock and have not spent the first night in it yet. However, I can offer my $.02 about the Big Agnes. I have the Big Agnes Lost Ranger and I love it. I don't like to be cold, but I think the 15 degree rating is a bit optimistic. I've slept on the ground down to about 22 F. I put a Thermorest Z-lite sol directly on the ground and the Bib Agnes Insulated Air Core in the sleeping bag sleeve. I was a little cool so I tend to use a bag liner (either a liner or a poncho liner). I plan on trying this in the hammock with the air core "deflated" (I think it has around a 3.5 R rating).
    The integrated pocket is wonderful in that you never fall off the pad. I think this will work in the hammock as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast