Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    try a Klymit Static V insulated pad. It's a wide pad and due to it's shape with the baffles, conforms to the shape of the hammock really well, even when fully inflated. You won't fall off this pad. Then just use your sleeping bag as a top quilt (feet in the box). Just tuck your bag a little around your shoulders and you'll be toasty. No SPE required. I use it even when it's not cold out because it's so comfortable.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    The sky ;)
    Insulation
    Therma-rest
    Suspension
    Atlas straps

BA is BA in my hammock!

Disclaimer: weight savings is less important to me than comfort.

I've been using the Summit Park BA bag with a 25" therma-rest pro, for 2 years now and it is awesome, the only time I'm cold is when I go to bed to warm to be fully in the bag, and then have to crawl in if/when i actually get cold. I keep looking at UQ's but am hesitant to commit because it seems to "uni-tasker" for me. The DIY ones on this site have peaked my interest, but if you are at all thinking that the hammock might not always be your sleeping solution, I cannot recommend the BA system enough.

I'm sleeping in an ENO DN.

Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just purchased a cheap (used one time) BA Fria and love it. It has a half-pocket for the pad and I really like the security as I know i will not roll off the pad. It just wasn't wide enough, so now I am thinking about adding "wings" (like the SPE) to the sides of the pad pocket for my shoulders and knees. I sleep sorta on my side, so that extra width means a lot.
    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    I've been using exactly this approach the last two nights. I don't have an underquilt yet, so I'm using one of the Big Agnes Park series bags (wider than most) with a wide Exped pad. (The width lets it ride up around me a little bit, making an SPE less needed.) It really does work rather well. I'd suggest filling the pad up to "normal" level to make it easier to slip into the sleeve, and then letting a lot of the air out - I think I'm running about 1/3 inflated.

Hammock
    WB BB DL XL
    Tarp
    SilNylon (rectngl)
    Insulation
    BA Insulatd Inflat
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I have been using a BA lost ranger with a BA insulated air core (like another poster here). I agree (as has been stated) that the temp. rating is higher than claimed however the system works for me with the exception of my shoulders. I haven't determined what type of "wings" to get yet.
    I disagree with one poster who says that more air is required in a hammock. I use far less air in a hammock than I do on the ground.
    One more thing - I find it difficult to get much of an asymmetrical lay in my ENO DN. I am quite comfortable though and use a small pillow or my clothing bag under my knees.
    Despite my comfort, I do dream od upgrading to a TQ and an UQ someday.

Lost Ranger

I'm new, but I'll toss in my recent experience. I used a Jarbidge Saturday night and a Lost Ranger sleeping bag. I did not use a pad in the Lost Ranger. Overnight low was around 33-34. I slept really well until around 2 am. After that I was a little "cool". Not uncomfortable, just a "cool" feeling on the lower extremities. I usually do not sleep when I am cold. I had on a pair of boxers and a short sleeve underarmour shirt. When I tore down my hammock, I found that I had forgot to cinch up one corner of the Jarbidge end adjustments and I had a decent gap. Overall, I was pleased with how I slept.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    BA Lost Ranger
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Just wanted to update now that I've had 5 months of hammocking since my last post. I still use the BA Lost Ranger and blue ccf pad combo. Its works great I've been down to 38-40 degrees with no problems. I'm currently looking into getting a BA air core. I think it might offer a little more insulation and a lot more comfort if I have to go to the ground.

Hammock
    Clarke NX-250
    Tarp
    Clarke Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator 0
    Suspension
    Tree Strap/rings
    I sleep in an ENO Hammock and the Big Agnes Encampment sleeping bag (Long) worked well with the Big Agnes Mummy Insulated Core Pad. I did notice that the Velcro on the comparment for the mummy pad seem to wear out quickly.

Well, I know it has been over a year since this thread was started, but I just received my Klymit Static Insulated V and I just put it into the pocket of my Womens size Brooklyn Big Agnes and it fit fine. Width wise it fit fine. It is too long to go into the top pocket but that's fine. I put it in my hammock to try it out (DIY gathered end Hammock) and it fits fine, too! It's summer here in Virginia, so I'll have to wait to test it out in the 30's some night as far as insulation goes. Hope it works!!!

I purchased a Big Agnes Fish Hawk 30 degree bag plus a BA Q-Core SL insulated pad. So far so good. I've spent a few nights in my DL hammock with an average nightly low of around 55-60 degrees. The one recommendation I've read in HF and agree with is to under inflate the pad. It takes a little squirming to get just right, but I like it so far.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast