Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    That's CRAZY you were still cold with almost 6.0 R-value in pads underneath. I've used my Fish Hawk (30*) down to 20* with my 5.9 R-value downmat in my Ridgerunner.

Slo (and anyone else who may be interested) - I'm back in from an overnight to the Adirondacks with the Big Agnes "Lost Ranger" and my Thermarest Prolite pad. All I can say is it was a wonderful experience compared to my previous nights on top of a CCF pad. Obviously there was no slipping off of the pad and even though my pad is only 20" wide, I didn't experience any cold spots around my shoulders or hips. I think that's because of how the down in the sleeping bag wraps to the bottom of the bag. Whatever the reason, on a night that dipped into the upper 30s, I was very warm and toasty.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Awesome Snaps! Glad to hear your plan came together That's a pretty versatile setup you have now.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    BA Lost Ranger
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    I just spent my first night in my hammock with the Lost Ranger and blue ccf Walmart pad and I thought it worked well. I didn't have any problem with the pad moving. I was burning hot though, it was only 60* last night.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA coyote 12x10
    Insulation
    pad and 20° bag
    Suspension
    DIY tree straPS
    Glad I found d this I've been debating getting the big park to go all g with my trail pro large but I wasn't sure about it but this gives me some positive thoughts.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    70D Hex
    Insulation
    Blue pad/20 bag
    I have used the BA Lost Ranger in a hammock and it works well. CO mountains in the summer at about 40* and I was only cool one night when we dropped in altitude in the middle of the desert with very little tree cover and steady winds. In the past I only used a typical blue pad (Wally World). It's inconvenient to put in and take out, plus I needed something for cooler temps. so I just bought a BA aircore for super cheap, but I have not tried it out. I assume deflate it a bit and it should work fine.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I have the Lost Ranger and insulated air core pad in the sleeve. I found it warm, comfortable, and relatively easy to keep it underneath you - once you wrestle/squirm your way into it. It is easier if you under inflate (or at least don't over inflate) the air core pad. Even though I have a long size, I get a cold spot at my feet (I'm 6'-4").

My reason for getting a TQ/UQ was that the above setup was too heavy, bulky and cumbersome to setup and take down. I discovered that the TQ/UQ was much more comfortable and less "restrictive", but there is nothing wrong with the BA system.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl.
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20*
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I've used my BA Lost Ranger and Insulated Air Core pad successfully for years in my hammock (Storm King and Dual Core too). It takes some experimenting to get the right amount of air... more than I would use on the ground. This is because your body weight is more focussed on the middle of the pad. Too little and the ends fill up and you are left with CBS; too much and it's uncomfortably stiff.
    Chris
    Scoutmaster - Troop 88

I tried my BA bag with a pad last weekend. It did work fine, but I still think a true UQ would be more comfortable. I will still use my BA and pad for a while, but will be saving up for an UQ. Now the endless hours of research start to determine which one to save up for!

Goldy Locks

Quote Originally Posted by Grt_Ape View Post
    I've used my BA Lost Ranger and Insulated Air Core pad successfully for years in my hammock (Storm King and Dual Core too). It takes some experimenting to get the right amount of air... more than I would use on the ground. This is because your body weight is more focussed on the middle of the pad. Too little and the ends fill up and you are left with CBS; too much and it's uncomfortably stiff.
    I'm glad to hear there are others trying out the BA system with hammocks. I tried my Roxy Ann (15F) with the BA insulated air mattress one night in my double nest eno hammock and it was not fun. I kept feeling like I was going to roll out, probably because I filled the air mattress as full as when I sleep on the ground and probably picked two trees that were a little too close. I'm also getting used to sleeping on the diagonal.

@Grt_Ape, you also have a double nest eno hammock, right? Do you find there is an excess of material to lay diagonally? Or may be you have a trick for getting it out of the way.

Anyways, I think next time I'll pick better trees, play with the level of air and add a reflective (sun shield) into the sleeve and see how it goes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast