Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Next time you feel a cramp coming on, try a teaspoon of mustard. Pickle juice works, too, but I can't drink it. It is most probably the vinegar in each that does the trick, and it does work, and quickly. I carry the little individual servings in plastic envelopes that you get at fast food places just in case. Terry Bradshaw claims the Steelers won some games on hot days because they drank pickle juice and didn't cramp up like the other teams.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Interesting idea. I might try the mustard idea. Pickle juice is out of the question, the chemicals in picle juice is enought to put me in AFib. for sure. I wonder if the really top notch vinegar would work. I just had a bout with foot cramps this afternoon.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Mustard packets work, yeah it's the vinegar.

Rehydrate (Advocare) is better than Gatorade, less heart burn, available in packets to mix with water as needed.

Potato skins are loaded w/ potassium and so are lots of other things, google is your friend.
    Not to mention the potassium pills but you have go shop around.

Bike stores and running stores are loaded with products for endurance athletes and REI often is selling stuff at 50% off because it's been on the shelf too long.

Salt substitute is basically potassium, you could probably just throw some of that in your water with out noticing too much. I have seen cyclists use it when making drink/gel mixtures to up potassium.

I don't know if this is my problem... But two nights ago I woke up about 4am and my foot felt BROKEN. Moving it hurt a lot, so I went back to sleep.

Still hurt when I woke, outside of the ball of your foot where all your muscles are. Gave me trouble walking the whole day. Still hurt a bit today, but I could walk mostly normal. Hope something like that doesn't happen out on the trail, have to be sure to eat dehydrated potatoes

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Ingesting potassium, whether from food sources, supplements, or sports drinks, is a preventative measure. The mustard is for when the cramp strikes. The first time I tried it I was so surprised at how fast it worked that I figured it must just be mental. However, it works time after time. I even keep some in the car.

Re: Foot cramps

I've had the same problem with cramps in my feet, calves, & quads. I found its easiest to just pop a potassium pill every morning & eat whatever I want.
    -
    Bill

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Dandelion greens will fix you right up. Look for the young small green leaves for mildest flavor.
    The vitamin content is amazing,and is very high in potassium. You will feel the energy that comes from eating them soon after your meal.
    Stir fry in olive oil with some wild garlic,very tasty blood purifier.
    The best part is they are growing where and when you need them.
    Dont harvest beside the road, or in cultivated feilds due to possible chemicals being sprayed. Good luck.

P.s. they also take inflamation from the body.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I find that the quinine in tonic water knocks the cramps out instantly until my body can absorb the needed potassium and minerals from a supplement.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I tend to get leg cramps when in my hammock, more so than in a bed. I think it mostly comes from dehydration. I get out and active, and don't drink like I should. I have tried the mustard, and, for me, it didn't work. Woke up one night with cramps in both legs, I can't remember if it was upper or lower leg, but I could hardly walk, tried the mustard, now I had cramped legs and taste of a spoon full of mustard. Finally was able to get the cramps stretched out, but, boy did it hurt......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Foods high in potassium,,

#1: White Beans

Potassium in 100g 1 cup cooked (179g)
    561mg (16% DV) 1004mg (29% DV)
    Other Beans High in Potassium (%DV per cup): Adzuki (35%), Soy (28%), Lima (28%), Kidney (20%), Great Northern (20%), Pinto (18%) and others at an average of 15% DV per cup cooked. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#2: Dark Leafy Greens (Spinach)

Potassium 100g (Raw) 1 Cup (Raw - 30g) 1 Cup (Cooked - 180g)
    558mg (16% DV) 167mg (5% DV) 839mg (24% DV)
    Other Greens High in Potassium (%DV per cup cooked): Swiss Chard (27% DV), Kale (8% DV), and Collards (6% DV).
    Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#3: Baked Potatoes (With Skin)

Potassium 100g Average Potato (173g)
    535mg (15% DV) 926mg (26% DV)
    Warning: Potatoes are high in simple carbohydrates and not recommended for people with diabetes. Sweet potatoes are actually better for regulation blood sugar, an average baked sweet potato with skin (114g) provides 542mg (15% DV) of potassium. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#4: Dried Apricots

Potassium 100g 1/2 cup (65g)
    1162mg (33% DV) 755mg (22% DV)
    Other Dried Fruits High in Potassium (%DV per 1/2 cup): Peaches (22% DV), Prunes (20% DV), Raisins (18% DV).
    Warning: Dried fruits are high in sugar. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#5: Baked Acorn Squash

Potassium 100g 1 cup cubed (205g)
    437mg (12% DV) 899mg (26% DV)
    Other Squash High in Potassium (%DV per cup baked): Hubbard (21%), Butternut (17% DV), Zucchini (14% DV), Average Winter Squash (10% DV). Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#6: Yogurt (Plain, Skim/Non-Fat)

Potassium 100g 1 cup (245g)
    255mg (7% DV) 625mg (18% DV)
    Other Yogurt High in Potassium (%DV per cup): Whole-Fat (11% DV), Chocolate Yogurt (24% DV). Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#7: Fish (Salmon)

Potassium 100g 1 3oz fillet (85g)
    628mg (18% DV) 534mg (15% DV)
    Other Fish High in Potassium (%DV per 3oz fillet (85g)): Pompano (15% DV), Lingcod (14% DV), Halibut (13% DV), Yellowfin Tuna (13% DV), Anchovies (12% DV), Mackerel (10% DV), Herring (10% DV) and most other fish at an average of 10% DV. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#8: Avocados

Potassium 100g Average Avocado (201g) 1/2 Cup Pureed (115)
    485mg (14% DV) 975mg (28% DV) 558mg (16% DV)
    An average avocado provides 322 calories, half a cup purred contains 184 calories. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#9: Mushrooms (White)

Potassium 100g 1 cup sliced (108g)
    396mg (11% DV) 428mg (12% DV)
    1 cup cooked sliced white mushrooms contain 28 calories.
    Other mushrooms high in potassium (%DV per cup sliced): Portabella (9% DV), Brown or Crimini (9% DV), Enoki (7% DV), Shiitake (5% DV), Maitake (4% DV). Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#10: Bananas

Potassium 100g Average Banana(118g) 1 Cup Mashed (225)
    358mg (10% DV) 422mg (12% DV) 806mg (23% DV)
    An average banana provides 105 calories, 1 cup mashed contains 200 calories. Click to see complete nutrition facts.
    Read more at http://www.healthaliciousness.com/ar...kUSgXHEAkW4.99
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast