Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question To tall for an underquilt??

Part of the reason I have not got an underquilt yet (therefore no winter hammocking for me) is because of an ongoing debate in my head between the JRB MW and Speers snugfit. Both are very attractive quilts. Part of me lean towards the JRB because it is rated for a lower temp. Heres the (potential) problems with the JRB MW which is why I'm considering the speers.
    1. the quilt length is 6'4''. I am 6'3'' (flat footed, even taller laying down) doesnt seem like much extra room.I dont want a cold head or feet am I too tall for this quilt?
    2. The width of the quilt is something like 3'6''. Doesnt seem I could lay on a diagonal in my ENO doublenest and still get coverage. I know there are other threads about "All that extra fabric being a waste'' but I dont want to hang out of my quilt either. I'm the kind of guy that would rather error on the side of too much than too little.

These two problems seem to be fine in the speers which is both wider and longer. The only problem I see with the speers is the temp rating. I would like it to go coolder without additional pads and such. Anyway my question is am I too big for the JRB MW? Keep in mind I dont lay in my hammock like a dead person in a casket, I'm all sprawled out.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I can't speak to the MWUQ questions since I don't own one.

I would say that the temp rating on the Speer is very conservative. Speaking for myself only, I can comfortably achieve lower-than-rated temps with the SnugFit without supplementing any layers. *I* would rate the SnugFit at 20ºF, for myself, and can extend that with vapor barriers, or pad, or hammock sock, etc.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    I am 6'1". I had not even paid any attention to the length spec of the MWUQ, but I always seem to have plenty of coverage head to toe, both in a WBBB and a JRB BMBH. I'd have to set it up again and pay attention. But one of the things I have really liked is that I have plenty of coverage if I have a hand under my head if I am on my side( or back), with my arm/elbow sort of a bit above my head- still no cold spots top or bottom.

However, you are 6'3", so? It might be kind of close, hard to say. But don't forget, you will probably have a pillow of some sort, so that will supply some insulation. How much longer is the insulated section of the Snugfit? As for width, the MW curves up well above me on both sides no matter how I am laying, so I don't think that will be a problem.

I think the SF is probably conservatively rated, going by reports I have seen. Keep in mind you can get a 10+ degree boost by adding a space blanket or vapor barrier. I don't think you would ever know it was there except for the increased warmth. Once you are using an inside VB between you and the SF, you could also rig up a an outer cover, which would add a bit more warmth, and more importantly block wind and rain. Just make sure you understand VBs before you do any of that. Of course, to be fair, you could also do all of the above with the MW for about the same amount of boost, and you would be less likely to need to. So I guess it depends on what temps you are going to sleep in. ( EDIT: I just noticed you are in the AZ desert. So the SF should be plenty warm enough for most of your trips, unless of course you go to the mountains in winter, as I'm sure you know. I used to live in Flagstaff, and I remember at least one -23F, and it was even a good bit colder in some surrounding areas. Of course that was quite unusual, but zero was not at all uncommon)

Either would be a fine choice. But if the SF does have a longer insulated area, and you don't think you would be regularly going much below 20, that might be your best choice, adding a SB if needed. But if you think you will challenge well below 10*F on a regular basis, you might be better off with the MW, and counting on a pillow or even a small piece of CCF under your pillow or feet, if indeed you did find yourself exceeding the insulated area by an inch or two.

Maybe someone who has both can be more helpful about the length issue?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-16-2009 at 10:44.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I'm 6'3" and my long Stealth fits perfectly as a top quilt. I used a standard Nest as my under quilt with no issues.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    To say the SnugFit is rated conservatively is like saying ice cream tastes just OK. I've used one in single digit temps without a shiver and my girl sleeps fine in it down to the teens and she is a cold sleeper; I'm talkin popsicle cold sleeper!

The MW does look nice. I will admit to being subject to temptation on that one. I've never used a JRB quilt as an underquilt, but that one might just make me try.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 02-18-2009 at 13:49.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Roadtorque,

The JRB Mt Washington UQ will fit you fine.... Your satisfaction is guarenteed.... Not 100 percent satisfied, simply send it back and your purchase price of the quilt will be refunded within 24 hours...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    ... Doesnt seem I could lay on a diagonal in my ENO doublenest and still get coverage. ...
    I don't think anyone has an underquilt that will cover laying fully diagonal to either side on a wide hammock. They all limit it to some degree as you are talking about a lot of surface area to do that for some of the wide hammocks. Having an underquilt that is wider does help with laying on diagonals to either side and having one with cinched ends hurt as that reduces the usable width at the ends of the hammock. In some regards it comes down to tradeoffs of size, weight, coverage, comfort, etc. The coverage area of the SnugFit is an hour glass shape and its suspension system does not cinch the ends of the quilt. This is an optimal arrangement for coverage on hammocks where you can lay on diagonals to both sides. Here are a few sketches I put together to illustrate this effect.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts