Need Super Compact Stand

Hey everyone. I am a complete newbie at this. I don't even have a hammock yet, though I'm going to buy the DangerBird by Dream Hammock soon. This summer I am going on a camping trip with my church's youth group, and I'm almost certain that I will not be able to hang the hammock from trees. Space in the van for my hammock stand will be extremely limited. Think like 7 people and all of their tents and food and clothes and whatnot. Anyway, I need a way to make a collapsible hammock stand as teeny tiny as possible. And the cheaper the better. I'm a poor college student. I thought about making one and then taking it apart for the trip there. This means though that a whole van load of teenagers will be stepping all over it every time we stop. I'm guessing that would be ok if it is just boards, but it still needs to be short enough to fit in the van's aisle. I weigh around 150 lbs (did I just post that on the internet??? ) so I'm guessing weight won't be too much of a problem. Is it even possible to make one tiny enough? I'd consider buying one, but the only ones I've seen have been quite expensive. I would really appreciate your tips!!!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome to the forums! The Dangerbird is a great choice.

Lots of hammock stand options. I'd recommend considering a TurtleDog stand:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51787

It's relatively compact, could certainly take plenty of abuse and will be more than sturdy enough.

You might also consider a TurtleLady stand (similar but a bit different):
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=27777

both threads are very long, but if you scan through them - especially the later pages, there's lots of folks with ideas on how to make them more modular. I made my TurtleLady stand, for example, out of 4' aluminum poles that link together and create a nice setup. It all breaks down into a nice 4' bag and stores away nicely (quite compact, but fairly heavy).
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

I've seen a guy make one in his living room out of boards. Madebydoc or something like that, on youtube.

if you just took boards and rope you can make a couple tripods to hang from, which is what he did. easy, cheap, disposable.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Welcome to HF CrazyDaisy.
    Can't give you much help on the particular stand you're looking for, but I do owe you some specs on your DangerBird. I'll get with you shortly.

If you get the opportunity, you could head over to Pine Grove Furnace State Park (near Carlisle, PA) next weekend and check out the hammocks & stands at the Spring MAHHA hang. There will be several different stand and kind folks willing to share details about them.
    I'll even have a loaner DangerBird with your name on it you can test drive.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Another vote for the Turtledog, or TurtleLady. Follow the designs and it will likely fit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Welcome to HF CrazyDaisy.
    Can't give you much help on the particular stand you're looking for, but I do owe you some specs on your DangerBird. I'll get with you shortly.

If you get the opportunity, you could head over to Pine Grove Furnace State Park (near Carlisle, PA) next weekend and check out the hammocks & stands at the Spring MAHHA hang. There will be several different stand and kind folks willing to share details about them.
    I'll even have a loaner DangerBird with your name on it you can test drive.
    Hi PapaSmurf! How did you know that it's me? At least by the way you talk I assume you know that this is Heather anyway. Daisy is my dog's name.
    I won't be able to be there next weekend. Finals are coming up sooner than I care for them to! I REALLY appreciate all your help! I'll be replying to your email tomorrow.

Everyone else: I really appreciate your fast replies!!! Could I use another piece of wood instead of the metal pole, or is that a really bad idea?

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    here you go. give this a try, doesn't get much more compact than this, just be sure to just long enough stakes otherwise they have a tendency to pull out

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=43594

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    here you go. give this a try, doesn't get much more compact than this, just be sure to just long enough stakes otherwise they have a tendency to pull out

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=43594
    That just might work! Thanks!!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the great sport of sleeping off the ground....In comfort.
    This might be just right for you since your so lite and you need compactability.
    Link http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=JiRD71IC3yE

Good luck on your trip and take lots of pics and video if you can. Remember to post your trip report.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts