Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best Prusik cord for Zing-it/Lash-it tarp ridgeline, Need Advice

After watching tritan1's Dutch Flyz youtube video, I'm looking to upgrade my tarp ridgeline from 550 paracord to 1.75mm Zing-it/Lash-it, complete with Tarp Flyz and Dutch Hooks. The difference from titan1's setup is I prefer to use #1 S-biners in place of Dutch Hooks for fastening to tarp.

My goal is to make two 30- to 35-foot finished length ridgelines. Please help me fill in the blank for my custom Dutchware order:

1) Single 75ft length of 1.75mm Lash-it, custom add two Dutch Hooks, 1 at each end (locked brummel spliced).
    2) One pair Tarp Flyz
    3) _________ to make 1 Prusik for Tarp Flyz, 2 add'l Prusiks for S-biners

Would you suggest I use the excess Lash-it to make the Prusik loops? Typically, in climbing, we make Prusiks out of cordelette that is about 70% smaller than the rope (for example, 5mm-6mm for 8mm rope, depending on the application). Yet at this size, this may not be applicable. Also, Zing-it/Lash-it and Dyneema are coated lines; how will this affect friction/holding strength on the ridgeline. Can this be accounted for by looping the Prusik 4 or 5 times? Or, would you suggest a different cord make?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    The prusik knot grabs best when a smaller diameter cord is used for the prusik than the cord its grabbing. On 1.75 zing it/lash it I would use 1.25mm z-line the polyester sheath will have a higher friction than their braided dyneema line. You will have to tie knots to create your loops in the z-line. I overlap two double over hand knots. This method leaves me with a cleaner look and something to grab when adjusting the prusik.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    You know, of course, that the 400-600 breaking strength Zing It is overkill for the purpose. But, you'll never need to replace it, tough as it is.

I'm not supposed to be able to, but because I didn't know better, I just opened up with a darning needle some supposed spectra / dyneema (tm) hollow braid throw line of 1.25mm diameter, undeterred when I encountered a core of straight strands of the same material. The needle slid along side of those strands. So, unlike AaronAlso, I was able to make up a bunch of knot-free spliced loops for Prusiks.

Once I got the hang of it, I made a few dozen, using just a few $ of material. They grip just fine.

But when all is said and done, ITW makes some terrific nylon plastic bits for this purpose that only require one hand to operate, not two. If they're designed for military use, they're not likely soon to fail.

Last winter the fingers of at least one painfully cold and wet hand would rather have been in a warm and dry pocket than working nice tight, wet, and cold prusiks on tarp line and tie-outs in a snowstorm.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-18-2013 at 03:36.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post

I'm not supposed to be able to, but because I didn't know better, I just opened up with a darning needle some supposed spectra / dyneema (tm) hollow braid throw line of 1.25mm diameter, undeterred when I encountered a core of straight strands of the same material. The needle was able to slide along slide them, and unlike AaronAlso, I was able make up a bunch of knot-free spliced loops for Prusiks. .
    Your splice-fu is greater than mine. I've still not mastered anything smaller than 1.7mm single braid.

BTW; What is the name of this ITW product?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I use the same size Zing-it with a couple extra wraps. Have had no slippage so far.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    zing-it on zing-it. I know what they say about different sizes but they work fine together. After a bit of time wearing the teflon off the outside the stuff will lock up better than you want it to. You may find yourself rolling the prusiks between your fingers to loosen them up so you can re-position them.

David

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    zing-it on zing-it. I know what they say about different sizes but they work fine together. After a bit of time wearing the teflon off the outside the stuff will lock up better than you want it to. You may find yourself rolling the prusiks between your fingers to loosen them up so you can re-position them.

David
    I use 1.75 mm Zing-it Prusiks on my 1.75 mm Zing-It ridgeline with an extra wrap or two. They might slip a little in the beginning, but then they start gripping.

Wow! Thanks for all the input!!

AaronAlso... I don't know what to say.. Not only has Dutchware been a game changer for me, but now you introduce me to zpacks and all their specialized kit? And only $4 shipping on orders below $100?! I'll be picking up some Z-line for sure!

DemostiX, I'm too intimidated to work internally with cordage.. Heck, I've lashed with 550 , ran guylines and ridgelines with it and use it for all sorts of purposes for backpacking. But never have I hollowed it out or even attempted to remove any of its core fibers for any real purpose. I haven't even attempted splicing...yet (so no whoopies or brummels to call my own). It's funny you say the 1.75mm Whip-it/Lash-it is overkill for my ridgeline. The only reason I didn't go for 2.25mm is the thicker stuff doesn't clip well to Dutch Flyz/Hooks. I feel a little better about the 1.75mm now lol. Also.... regarding ITW. Wouldn't you believe I came across this outfit last year, unbeknownst to myself, by placing a handful of GrimLocs in one of my CountyComm orders? Got em to attach to my dog's molle harness. Seriously, if anyone has dogs here, ditch the ruffwear crap and get the harnesses and packs the military, border patrol, S&R, special police units and others who want real gear that doesn't shred when used in the field outfit their K9s with (shameless plug: www.rayallen.com/category/modular_harness_system). I lol when I see that ruffwear garbage (all the time in the Angeles and Los Padres Nat'l forests, where I live).

Ok, back on track... I see others have chimed in to assure me that the excess Zing-it/Lash-it will work fine too. Well, this gives me the opportunity to buy even more anyway (for contrasting Prusiks, of course), and test against the Z-line! There's also 3/32 shockcord... I may as well pick some of that up too and test on the ridgeline. Shug sure seems to use loads of it on his tarp guylines.
    Last edited by Sabatier; 04-17-2013 at 13:09. Reason: I repeat myself. I repeat myself.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The shock cord is probably used as tarp tensioners, which a lot of people use on silnylon tarps, which have a tendency to sag in rain.

You wouldn't need tarp tensioners for cuben fiber tarps, and I don't think polyester tarps have much stretch either.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The shock cord is probably used as tarp tensioners, which a lot of people use on silnylon tarps, which have a tendency to sag in rain.

You wouldn't need tarp tensioners for cuben fiber tarps, and I don't think polyester tarps have much stretch either.
    lol then my polyester tent groundcloth as rainfly (yes, I go there...it really is a great poor-man's asym hex tarp) and poncho as rainfly (yup, I went there too) won't benefit. Good to know about just needing it on silnylon tarps. Makes sense that tarp materials that don't stretch wouldn't benefit from shockcord. Thanks for the heads up, SilverSurfr!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast