Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR

Question All Season Setup to live in

HI

i'm new to this wonderful forum,
    i came , you guessed it, to find a convenient hammock setup
    as i am going to live from my backpack and travel a lot from this year on.

I'm basically a juggler/gleeman, planning to travel around a lot in Europe first
    and later on most probably in other parts of the world, may it be Africa, south america,or whatever place i might be drawn to.
    Evidently when in a town or even on the road i might often have the chance to find an alternative
    shelter/sleeping place/temp-home but i want to be able to rely on my hammock setup throughout the year.
    So i'm looking for a setup that keeps me alive/warm down to 0°F but is flexible, light and affordable.

What i have in mind so far is
    a large tarp ~4*4m so i can close it more or less completely when its really cold and windy
    a rather large and durable hammock large so i can atleast lounge in there with someone else
    1 or1,5cm evazote or small and short selfinflating mat
    sleeping bag or two?
    and some form of underquilt

I'd love to DIY but i cant afford it as the materials alone seem to get me to a higher price than what i can buy..

It might be better to open a different thread for my tarp,hammock, and underquilt needs
    but I thought I'd keep it together for now as the choices affect eachother.
    So hopefully you can help me a little to get a better base for my search/more specific questions

I've been thinking i could use the relags pack-hammock (which is a simple net hammock) under my hammock
    to hold up a blanket/quilt or unzipped sleeping bag ?
    Another consideration i had was to use a sleeping bag in a peapod fashion around my hammock, do you think that would do aswell?
    Which of the above sounds better to your ears?

Hammocks i'm considering so far

Speer IIIC
    Eno Doublenest
    Treklight Double
    Exped Scout DLX
    DD Travel Hammock
    Amazonas Traveler
    to a lesser extend
    Clark NA or NX200
    Hennessy Safari Deluxe

Any recomendations?
    One point i have to consider is, ordering from america ramps up the price by around 100€ minimum, for shippin,taxes and bank transfer!

If DIY was an option i'd probably go for an asymetrical top entry hammock with padpocket and zipable bugnet+cover, so i could use it as a biwak aswell.
    But i have no overnight experience anyway so i'm not sure that's a perfect indicaton of what i like.
    I will have the opportunity to try a Hennessy at a local shop next week though, so i'll hopefully have a better outlook afterwards

Insulation wise, i'm slightly reluctant atm as i couldnt find a good solution that is affordable and packs small enough so it doesnt take up too much pack space in summer in case i cant store it somewhere.

How do stacked sleeping bags fare?

I know this is probably missing some info and not clear enough on some points ,but i hope it develops further

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I can recommend the Grand trunk Skeeter beeter Pro. I haven't tried Henneseys or Clarksbut I have the Skeeter Beeter Pro and I absolutly love it. You can check them out here http://www.thetravelhammock.com/
    Chris

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I see DD Hammocks are on your list. They are a great hammock and built like a tank. They also have some under quilt options available.

They even offer the DD Pack which includes:
    D Pack (Includes Hammock & Tarp & More...)

Size: 30 litres
    Colour: Green
    Weight: 2.7kg (approx)
    Includes: DD Travel Hammock, DD Tarp, DD Sleeper, DD T-shirt, Whistle.
    For sale within the UK only (due to size/postage cost).

The DD Pack makes an ideal present for someone new to hammock camping.
    The basic but tough 30 litre DD Pack (rucksack) comes with the following inside:

- New DD Travel Hammock/ Bivi
    - DD Tarp (new lightweight, 3m x 3m tarp)
    - DD Sleeping Bag Liner
    - DD T-shirt
    - 10m of Light Webbing
    - Whistle
    All that for £95. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. Throw in some pads for bottom insulation and you should be good to go.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That's a mighty big request to have a year round shelter that is roomy, light, and inexpensive. It's the last part that is going to trip you up a bit depending on how you define "inexpensive".

For a tarp that meets your requirements, you need to look at winter tarps. My personal favorite is the Warbonnet SuperFly, but the Speers make a very nice winter tarp as do the Jacks.

The Gossamer Gear pads are great! They are the only pads I've found that I don't actively hate.

Sleeping bags work, quilts work better and are lighter. Love the Jacks' stuff on this one.

Underquilt; well, hmmmm. I have an underquilt that does exactly that, but I don't think they are being made anymore. It is a torso length quilt that allows for synthetic layers of insulation to be added or removed as needed. warbonnetguy made it, you might ask him if he's interested in making any more. There are also a couple of DIY versions floating around here too. Very, very versatile set-up and probably still my favorite UQ.

Hammocks; no right answer until you try it. I wouldn't even consider the Amazonas Traveler if you're serious about 2 people being in the hammock. I have one and do like it for a 'cheaper' hammock, but no way I'd trust it with 2 people on board. You are going to want a bug-net solution. Some, like the Warbonnet, Hennessy, and Clark hammocks have the bug-netting built-in. The Speers have detachable bug-netting and the others require a separate solution. I know there is at least 1 'double' Warbonnet BlackBird out there. This would be my suggestion; it's an amazing hammock and I'm not the only one that says so anymore.

Whatever you decide, if you change your mind there is always a market for used hammocks. You shouldn't have any problem, or huge loss, if you decide to go another route. Good luck and happy window shopping!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    This really is a fast forum =)

Well light means sub 5Kg/176oz for the whole setup, so not ultralight
    To elaborate on the "inexpensive" part, i will probably be able to gather around 800€, all in all, but if feasible i want to deviate ~300-400 for a camera, so i can report a little from my trip
    So i really cant spend more than 800€ and that's stretching it

The market seems to be a lot smaller in Europe, so a lot of gear would have to be ordered from overseas,which is not realy an option for many items due to the added shipping,tax,and bank fees
    An order from GossamerGear for example means at least 50€ additional costs

Cannibal, your underquilt suggestion sounds very interesting!I'll look into that further if i can find it

How are other simple hammocks like the TTTM,Eno Double,Trek Double etc. in comparison to the Amazonas Traveler?

The DD sounds nice, but reviews were so mixed i'm not sure what to think of it
    Skeeter Beeter Pro is on my list aswell ..

What would i need aproximatly to have an acceptable shelter at 0°F?
    Pad + over-and-under-Quilts(or similar) +sleeping bag ?

Maybe i will find a nice solution butchering and old sleeping bag or something similar..

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by utilisateur View Post
    How are other simple hammocks like the TTTM,Eno Double,Trek Double etc. in comparison to the Amazonas Traveler?
    The TTTM, ENO, & TrekLight hammocks are first rate! Very comfortable fabric and durable. I slept double with my girlfriend for about a month on the AT last year in my TrekLight double and it did a marvelous job.

For the record, I really like my Amazona Traveler; I sleep in Brazilian hammocks at home! I just don't think I'd want to try it with 2 people.
    What would i need aproximatly to have an acceptable shelter at 0°F?
    Pad + over-and-under-Quilts(or similar) +sleeping bag ?
    No good answer for you on that. I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to cold. I tend to be very comfortable at temps where others are not. Site selection is a huge factor, but most people need a pad and underquilt below them to stay toasty at 0F. Your idea about using a sleeping bag in PeaPod fashion might have some merit. I know several here have done that.

Maybe i will find a nice solution butchering and old sleeping bag or something similar..
    Very good option! Take a look at the latest video from Ramblinrev.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    If you are going to spend ~400€ ($511 US), you should be able to put together a pretty nice system.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Double BlackBird - most comfortable hammock IMO, has all the features you are looking for in a hammock including being large enough for two to lounge in. Wasn't someone hiking with a custom-width double BB with their wife? I know I read that somewhere.

Echo the DIY sleeping bag mod - a good, cheap way to get into a UQ, especially if you already have an old rectangular bag you can mod. Heavier than commercial made, but $$$$ less expensive.

The less expensive hammocks like the ENO, the TTTM, Grand Trunk..... they are all very comfortable. But when you start adding things like seperate bug nets, the price becomes more comparable to say a BB. And when you consider that to sleep with a pad in those hammocks, the pad has to be in the hammock with you instead of in a sleeve, it changes the "futz" factor even more.

The DD Travel Hammock is a nice hammock, and is available locally to you as well (without the overseas shipping.) That would be my second choice on your list. Double bottom for a pad, zippered bugnet, sturdy construction materials, built to last, and very roomy.

It just depends on how critical you think a bugnet will be. All of the hammocks on your list are good hammocks, and have their converts. I would take any of them, but my faves/opinion for your particular situation are the BB or the DD. My .02.
    Last edited by fin; 02-12-2009 at 12:56.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Plus, warbonnetguy will ship to you for about the price of a good 12-pack of beer!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    You have some tuff challenges to answer all your expressed wishes.

I'd say a Claytor hammock would work well as it has the double bottom to accept a quality pad under it, and isn't too expensive. This would have a built in bug net, and the pad would be cheaper (though not necessarily better) than a underquilt. It would not, however, be a good idea to have two people in there.

I have both a Clark & a Claytor. The Clark is very good, but much more expensive. I'd say a built in bug net is mandatory, but that's just me. I also prefer a over sized tarp, and would think if it's going to be your 'temp-home', you'd do well to have one.

You sound like you have quite an adventure planned. Check back in and update us on your travels.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast