DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles

Two nights in BSF

Finally got away for a trip I planned last Dec. Here are some pics and thoughts.

Things I learned: Hate hanging bear bags, saving my money for a Ursak. Got to simplify my meals and organize my pack better, what sounds easy and fun during trip planning doesn't work out that way after walking all day.

New Gear:
    MM Gear box--love it! Great to just dump everything out in it instead of feeling around in a pack trying to find something you're not even sure you remembered. W/the MMGB, if you don't see it, it ain't here. And I sure slept better knowing everything that wasn't in the hammock w/me was high and dry in the MMGB.

JRB Mt Washington 3--great quality, easy to use and kept me plenty warm around 30F w/my JRB Nest as a top quilt.

OLicamp XTS Pot--Performed as advertized (really fast boil), nests perfect w/rest of my kit.

All together it was a great trip. Arrived around 5:30pm Tue. and left around 9:30 today. Two nights and 17-18 beautiful miles during the daylight hrs.

A couple of years ago I'd never even of most of the gear I used this week. Then I stumbled across HF. Thanks HF Members for the loads of knowledge that enabled me to have a great and much need getaway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Two nights in BSF

Looks like a great trip to me... Glad all your new gear worked out... Anything you will do differently next time?
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Looks like a great trip to me... Glad all your new gear worked out... Anything you will do differently next time?
    Several things are on my list in addition to what I mentioned. I think I'll probably become primarily an alcohol stove user and just build a fire if its convenient and I feel like it; I'll try harder to get to the trail earlier, I've yet to set up camp in the daylight on the first night; I'll continue to work on getting lighter. I could go on, but that's some of my highest priorities. Thanks for the reply. It was a great time for me.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Two nights in BSF

Quote Originally Posted by potneck View Post
    Several things are on my list in addition to what I mentioned. I think I'll probably become primarily an alcohol stove user and just build a fire if its convenient and I feel like it; I'll try harder to get to the trail earlier, I've yet to set up camp in the daylight on the first night; I'll continue to work on getting lighter. I could go on, but that's some of my highest priorities. Thanks for the reply. It was a great time for me.
    Alcohol is nice, but fire skills save your life... Keep them sharp even if you always cook off your stove...

Setting up in the dark means you know your setup pretty well... That's nothing to scoff at, I haven't had to do it yet... But headlamp and what not I THINK I would do fine, but I don't know till I know...

Going lighter, well good luck... I am loaded up for two nights with lots of extra goodies since its a social hang and I'm at 18-19 with everything but 6 lbs of water... And that bringing my big fire making gear so I'm pretty psyched, it will be my lightest pack on the trail yet...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts