WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    So I can camp in your yard for free as long as I LNT?
    No, because you would be violating my property rights, it's my yard which i obtained without the use of force. Unlike so called "public land".

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    No, because you would be violating my property rights, it's my yard which i obtained without the use of force. Unlike so called "public land".

Even if i say pretty please?

While the rules within public lands are at times sketchy and not to our liking, you have to admit that without the foresight of public lands, most of us would have nowhere to camp. I am glad that we have these places, no matter how bureaucratic and silly some of the laws are. If you want to risk stealth camping, that is your choice, but I think that this thread was to assist the people that respect the law and do not want to get in trouble.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    Even if i say pretty please?

While the rules within public lands are at times sketchy and not to our liking, you have to admit that without the foresight of public lands, most of us would have nowhere to camp. I am glad that we have these places, no matter how bureaucratic and silly some of the laws are. If you want to risk stealth camping, that is your choice, but I think that this thread was to assist the people that respect the law and do not want to get in trouble.
    I disagree that most of us would have nowhere to camp without a monopoly of force. Land is better protected when it is privately owned, do you maintain your property or just let it rot? People will rarely trash their own property, but they will often trash "public property" because of the way government has muddled property rights. If those lands are to be protected, private supporters can pool their funds and purchase the land to protect it(which I'm sure would be no problem, money could be raised on the grass roots level and the venture capitalist level-Bill Gates could probably buy all the land up himself). Stealing it at gunpoint from people to "protect it" is immoral, if the market desires the land to be protected it will be. Is theft, violence and coercion the only way we can protect important natural areas we care about? I think we can do better and do it voluntarily.

This thread reeks of the sheepish slave mentality most people have nowadays. It's either slaves slapping other slaves down for not submitting to the tyrants or slaves trying to find out how to submit. I don't blame you, the state is willing to fine you for victimless crimes, arrest you if you don't pay the fine and kill you if you resist being kidnapped and caged for not paying the fine.

I respect the natural law, not the man made law.
    Last edited by ikemouser; 07-05-2013 at 11:44.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    This tangent has absolutely nothing to do with the original purpose of this thread. Knock off the chest-beating attitudes and get back to the topic please.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    I think Mr. Thames, of California SP really did not understand what is being asked. It seems Mr. Thames is addressing the Saturday afternoon, lounging in the back yard, knotted cord sort of hammock. A lot of us have seen these types of units affixed to trees with rope or even screwed in eyes. It is completely understandable why the CSP system would not want those. The answer cites several sections of regulations which are inapplcable to the issue presented. This highlights the lack of understanding that many in park management have regarding the hammock camping issue. But a system as large as that in California is going to tend toward a more restrictive interpretation just because they see so many instances of inappropriate park usage.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Jcavenagh I think you may have been right n your assessment. They still don't understand that some of us crazy people have special set-ups designed to actually sleep in comfort.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images

Alabama

While we do not have the word in from the head honcho, we have had no problems with hammock camping in Alabama. I know for a fact that it is OK at DeSoto State Park and Guntersville State Park, and I have camped without asking in other parks with no issues. The word that I got from those superintendents is to call and ask each park before you visit for now. We are working with DSP to have hammock making/camping classes there again in the fall and we hope the other Alabama State Parks will join in. Hopefully I can provide an official word when we get one in. As it stands, there is nothing PREVENTING the use of hammocks, but there is no OFFICIAL word involving hammocks specifically.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I have gratefully read the totality of this thread and subscribed. Thanks to the organizers and contributors. I will commit to learn more and positively represent hangers so as to convince WA tO embrace the properly hung camping hammock.
    Last edited by Mumbles; 07-06-2013 at 15:12.

Hammock
    Eno One-Link
    Tarp
    Dreams of Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow 20 top Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    I will be in the Adirondacks next week with my Brother and his son car camping at a "tent" site only State run campground. I will bring two 18"x4" strips of foam I cut from a floor mat used to protect floors in a gym. I plan to double wrap my webbing over these and am hoping that any DEC Rangers that come by will see I have made a 100% effort to leave no trace or cause the trees any harm. As I write this I also think it is a good idea to bring extra and donate a stack of pre-cut pieces to the front desk folks at the campsite office. I will too, have a tent and all the fix'ns in my car, just in case though.
    Rock On!!!!!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    I think I'll get this back on track. What's up with New York? There does not seem to be an answer. Is the jury still out on that or are they afraid to give an answer? Are they waiting for Albany? That could take forever so I'll just take out the trusty tree huggers and hang away.

• + New Posts
  • Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast