Light/soft nylon/taffeta homemade
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, XTherm
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas slaps

Once I go top quilt...?

I never thought I would join the masses choosing a top quilt, but here I am, nervous yet excited, looking for a little bit of friendly advice. I started by trying to find any insulation system light, warm, and cheap. A sleeping bag barely made my final list of five items. This is where you come in... Everything is pretty close, and I am really leaning towards the HG Burrow, but I am concerned about some top quilt issues...
    1. I am known to sleepwalk, I always thought the sleeping bag did good at tucking me away and dissuading unconscious me to do this in the backwoods. Maybe my hammock will be okay by itself?
    2. I'm a super cold sleeper. Definitely need the 0 degree bag, but wondering if anyone gets a cold bottom or if it is uncomfortable to sleep directly on the sleeping pad.
    3. Is it possible to burrito-roll into the top quilt, or does that defeat the purpose?
    4. I live in Oregon, and it is rather humid sometimes, is there any protective measures I can take? Are there certain fabrics that are best for humid places?

Well, here's the list of potentials and my scale for rating (lots of time on my hand during spring break, you see!)

Sleeping Bags:

ZPacks: 10 degree, $390, 900 fill, 19.8 ounces. (Bonus: water resistant down) http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml

Quilts:

Enlightened Equipment: Revelation, 0 degrees, $350, 850 fill, 27.75 oz. (1.7 lbs) (Bonus: can be used as an underquilt)
    http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/.../revelation-0/

Hammock Gear: Burrow, 0 degrees, $254, 900 fill, 26.04 oz. (1.6 lbs.) http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-0/

Jacks R Better: Old Rag Mtn: 10 degrees, $290, 800 fill, 25 oz. (1.5 lbs) (Bonus: water resistant down) http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/old...ngular-quilts/

Underground Quilts: Flight Jacket: 0 degrees, $254, 850 fill, 28.5 oz. (1.8 lbs.) http://www.undergroundquilts.com/TQ-0.htm

Warmest to Coolest:
    +2 Enlightened Equipment Revelation (0), Hammock Gear Burrow (0), Underground Quilts, Flight Jacket (0)
    +3 Zpacks (10), Jacks R Better Old Rag Mtn (10)

Cheap to Expensive:
    +1 Hammock Gear Burrow ($254), Underground Quilts Flight Jacket ($254)
    + 1 Jacks R Better Old Rag Mtn ($290)
    +2 Enlightened Equipment Revelation ($350)
    +2 Zpacks ($390)

High Fill to Low:
    +1 Zpacks (900), Hammock Gear Burrow (900)
    +2 Enlightened Equipment Revelation (850), Underground Quilts Flight Jacket (850)
    +3 Jacks R Better (800)

Low Weight to High:
    +1 Zpacks (19.8)
    +1 Jacks R Better Old Rag Mtn. (25)
    +2 Hammock Gear Burrow (26.04)
    +2 Enlightened Equipment Revelation (27.75)
    +2 Underground Quilts Flight Jacket (28.5)

Logistic Score (low wins):4-13
    Hammock Gear Burrow: 6
    Underground Quilts Flight Jacket: 7
    Zpacks: 8
    Enlightened Equipment Revelation: 8
    Jacks R Better Old Rag Mtn: 8
    Last edited by freak.for.nature; 04-02-2013 at 01:07.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Try to Find a Hammock Hang

One of the best things you can do is find a Hammock Hang in your area. You'll learn more in a weekend with a group of hangers than a month here, depending on how much time you have to do the research. You can check here to see if something is near and upcoming. Hammock Hangs West Coast

I'm sure there will be a lot of answers here as well for you.

The one thing to remember is that there are a lot of factors which go into cold weather hammock hanging. You can have a 0° f TQ and still freeze your butt off in 20°f temps.

I have a 20°f Burrow. It might be on the low end of price, but on the high end of quality. I have 2oz of overfill, and with my setup would be fine down to 0°F.
    Last edited by OneThing; 04-02-2013 at 00:09. Reason: Forgot to add link

OneThingAT - Facebook
    OneThing YouTube
    N. Calif. Boggs Mt Hangout - May 10-12, 2013

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Over Cover Protector

Quote Originally Posted by freak.for.nature View Post
    4. I live in Oregon, and it is rather humid sometimes, is there any protective measures I can take? Are there certain fabrics that are best for humid places?
    I use this at times. I got it from JRB back in 2005. It's an overquilt protector. @ 7ozs. It's made of material close to that of DriDucks. It's very breathable, but keeps the water out. Here's a picture of it on the back side.

Over Protector-1 by One Thing AT, on Flickr

It adds about 5° to 7° to your sleep system as well. I live in N. California & I've hung in some thick fog. Also used it on the AT in the winter with heavy rain. There were morning where those who slept in shelters had wet bags from the heavy fog, but I was out hanging in it and had a dry bag.

OneThingAT - Facebook
    OneThing YouTube
    N. Calif. Boggs Mt Hangout - May 10-12, 2013

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I agree with OneThing, you need to go to a local hang or at least find some other hangers in your area. They can help you decide on what you need for hanging in your area. You didn't say, but may I ask what you are using for an underquilt? An underquilt should be rated at the same temp as your top quilt or lower. In other words you can use a 20* or 0* underquilt and use say a 20* or a 40* top quilt. But it doesn't work the other way around.

There are many fine cottage industry vendors here on HF that are capable of making whatever gear you want or need. I only have experience with Hammock Gear quilts however. I have a 20* set and a 40* set. I really love them, they are fantastic. The craftsmanship is great and there's no need to carry a pad.

As for your sleep walking, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you need something with the bug netting made into the hammock such as a warbonnet blackbird. I figure if you're all zipped in, you can't get out to go wondering around while you are asleep?

I don't know if any of this helps you or not but I sincerely hope so. But the best advice is to do what OneThing suggested, go to some local hangs or at least find some other local hammock hangers to give you a hand. Good luck in your pursuits.
    Hello from Lookout Mountain in N.E. Alabama,home of Little River Canyon National Preserve- The deepest gorge East of the Mississippi.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sorry, Just saw you are using pads for insulation under you. Missed that the first go round.
    Hello from Lookout Mountain in N.E. Alabama,home of Little River Canyon National Preserve- The deepest gorge East of the Mississippi.

Hammock
    Light/soft nylon/taffeta homemade
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, XTherm
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas slaps
    Hee! But going to hangs means I'd have to meet people. There are reasons why I lurk in the dark recesses of the Internet! Heh... I supposed getting outside my comfort zone is for the best, the momentum of motivation is primarily due to the fact that I am going on three trips this term, the soonest in 3 weeks (school is hard!).
    My 0 degree synthetic bag doesn't cut it and I'd appreciate rest as I'll be venturing forth in the name of science!
    But I digress...
    I just checked out the JRB site and it looks like they discontinued those babies--what are they made of? I'm known to be handy with a needle and thread and I have a local candy---errr-outdoor fabric shop I frequent for my rugged crafting needs.
    I really love the plethora of cottage industries! I got a MacCat a couple months ago and just love the workmanship and patriotism of stateside creations. I can't help but imagine the owners as the Betsy Ross' of the hammocking community.
    Thank you for your advice! I am not overly concerned about the sleepwalking-- just curious how other affected parasomniacs deal with it. Presently working on a hammock with a detachable bug net, never thought it could come in handy that way.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Once I go top quilt...?

Any of your choices would serve you well as a top quilt. As to your environment, do you hike where there is constant drizzle or fog? Or, are you out in the woods for 5-7 day stretches? If you answer, "Yes" to either if these, then I would consider the moisture resistant down. (BTW, Underground Quilts offers this option, too. I think they were the first to do so?)

Are you a very large person? If so, the size of the quilts should be a factor in your decision.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch/Dynaglide
    The zpacks footbox is small, but the quality is top notch.

I would suggest a wide HG top quilt with sewn footbox .

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Just FYI DWR down is available in all our quilts at no additional cost, just make the selection on the order form. If you are a restless sleeper you might consider a wider TQ, we offer three widths as well as four lengths. All the quilts you listed are top notch and you can't go wrong with any of them.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    If you are on a budget, the top quilt shell at http://underquilts.com/ is pretty nice---just buy some down from wilderness logics and fill it your self (pretty easy) For a 0 degree quilt, youre looking at around a hundred and forty dollers or so by the time you buy the shell and down, (not a bad option if you have more time than money and can do some really simple sewing)
    That being said, I love my 20 degree hammock gear burrow! So nice, and so well made! Like other posters have said, there are other factors involved with staying warm at night--your body type, what you eat before bed, what you are wearing to bed , etc. you just have to experiment and see what works good for you. (I'm a cold sleeper too, and usually keep a space blanket handy at night, in case I wake up cold and need a little boost to stay warm!)
    I'm not a sleep walker, but if I was, thats one thing the bottom entry hennesy hammock would probably be good for--unless you know how to get out of it in your sleep!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast