WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Ok so I know the topic here is TQ's, but have you considered getting the UQ first?

The warmth provided by a down UQ is pretty amazing. Pair that with a decent sleeping bag or top quilt and you won't get cold.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

i agree with TallPaul

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Ok so I know the topic here is TQ's, but have you considered getting the UQ first?

The warmth provided by a down UQ is pretty amazing. Pair that with a decent sleeping bag or top quilt and you won't get cold.
    i think that this would be a good 1st choice!
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Microporous Polypropylene

Quote Originally Posted by freak.for.nature View Post
    Hee! But going to hangs means I'd have to meet people. There are reasons why I lurk in the dark recesses of the Internet! Heh...
    Going to a hang will open a whole new world. Plus, it will prevent you from ending up on a reality TV program, such as Hoarders, Pawn Stars, Ax Men & 16 & Pregnant. Hmm, I'm looking over the member list..... Well, if your over 16, the last one for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by freak.for.nature View Post
    I just checked out the JRB site and it looks like they discontinued those babies--what are they made of? I'm known to be handy with a needle and thread and I have a local candy---errr-outdoor fabric shop I frequent for my rugged crafting needs.
    I had to go back to an old forum I was a part of to find some old posts going back to 2004. It's Microporous Polypropylene. For fun, hold your tongue and try and say that backwards. (If you do go to a Hang, I suggest not doing it as part of the Talent Show)

I think JRB could not longer find it, which is one of the reasons they quit making them.

However, finding the same material for DriDucks, might lead you to someone who sells it by the yard and not the train load.

There are two types of DriDucks material. One is very thin, and would work fine. More than likely, even lighter than Microporous Polypropylene. Or as I say it, 'Enelyporpylop Suorioicim'
    Last edited by OneThing; 04-02-2013 at 11:31.

OneThingAT - Facebook
    OneThing YouTube
    N. Calif. Boggs Mt Hangout - May 10-12, 2013

And don't forget your hot water bottle. Great for keeping toasty.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Get a Small Dog

Quote Originally Posted by siskiyousummit View Post
    And don't forget your hot water bottle. Great for keeping toasty.
    Get a small dog instead. They bark louder at bears & things that go bump in the night.

OneThingAT - Facebook
    OneThing YouTube

Once I go top quilt...?

I agree with the idea of getting an underquilt first. You can use your sleeping bag like a top quilt. That said, eventually a top / underquilt combo is really nice. I also like the idea of the water resistant down.

Images
    That's the trick with hammocks. If your bottom is cold no amount of top cover will keep you warm. I would spend more on an UQ and less on a TQ.
    If you are backacking I would still go with down since you said you are a cold sleeper. Just protect the down. DWR ripstop hammock sock does a great job in fog and mist.

hth

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I agree with the bottoms up approach - UQ first.
    As for the TQ, I've been experimenting with my TQ and draping a length of nylon taselite fabric over the top of the sides of the hammock (not over the ridgeline).
    Works pretty well in the cold. Don't have the moisture problem here, but it's a bit cooler. Working on a set up to hold the over cover in place, but allow ingress/egress without a lot of hassle. It held without anything, but some wind will get it moving. The piece I was using was about 5 ft wide & 6 ft long. Works for me at 5'9". Some form of attachment to my UQ protector is what I'm thinking of,
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Images

Hammock Gear!

Judging by your numbers it is consistently in the top!

I have to agree with the others, if I had to choose, I would purchase the UQ first, especially if you are looking at 0* TQ's. Brrrrrrrrrr!

I have 3 quilts from HG.

Good Luck!

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

One Year on Pads

In 2003 & 2004, I spent my 1st year with a hammock with a 3 inch thermarest full length sleeping pad and a synthetic North Face Mummy 20° bag with my Hennessey Hammock. (Enter from the bottom)

It was a witch getting in & on that baby every night for over a year. However, as I've said many times, "It wasn't like I had anything else going on at the time" I used large plastic bags, and filled them with leaves and hung my poncho under my HH as well. I went the cheap route & it worked.

If you know you're leaving the ground for good, go with an UQ. If your pretty handy with that sewing machine, maybe take it and turn your current bag into an UQ or TQ. There's a lot of DIY info on how to do it here. I think you have to be a member to be a part of those threads. ($10)

You know your budget, your time, the direction you want to go & your skills at making your own gear.

There is also a For Sale thread here as well. You'll find some good deals on UQ's and well as TQ's.

OneThingAT - Facebook
    OneThing YouTube

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast