DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Obviously you can affect the cat cut when you do the rolled hem for the channel. If you inconsistently fold the fabric over, it wont maintain the same shape as the fabric edge.

I always pin my end channel - maybe 6" increments if not more - and use a small scale to measure my folds. I fold 0.5" then 1", and sew in the area where 3 layer's of fabric are, leaving roughly a 0.5" channel.

You can do the same thing with a larger channel, if that's what you want. Just make sure your folds are consistent, and try to sew along the curve as much as possible.

After playing around in the GF hammock I realized 2 things: 1) The hammock is longer than mine (mine was short because it was modified from a current rectangular cut hammock), and thus more comfortable. I think it ended up at 123" along the center. 2) The sides are flopier, and I could probably go a little deeper on the long side cat cut. Maybe 5-5.5".
    Last edited by Boston; 05-20-2013 at 14:52.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    You gotta take that to RRG when the Ginga Ninja goes (weekend 6/22).... too bad you aren't down here in Tupelo, we've had some serious gear testing going on.

Wonder what would happen if you put a 31x31x40 footbox triangle in there?
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Im sorry if Im dragging up an old thread but I wanted to thank you for posting your progress. I am about to try a DIY cat cut hammock but thought I would google it to see if there were any pitfalls or lessons ... and here I found a wealth of advice and feedback!

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Lesson learned: dont go too deep on the side cuts. Itll limit useable width.

Ive actually gone away from this concept. Instead I just add a foot box. Works better and much easier. You could combine the ideas and potentially put a cat cut on the non-footbox side if the extra material really bothers you. So far all mine tuck nicely out of the way.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Lesson learned: dont go too deep on the side cuts. Itll limit useable width.

Ive actually gone away from this concept. Instead I just add a foot box. Works better and much easier. You could combine the ideas and potentially put a cat cut on the non-footbox side if the extra material really bothers you. So far all mine tuck nicely out of the way.

I was wondering how this fared with comfort. When I saw this photo it looked like it made a significant decrease in the flat lay. I have done a few hammocks with a 1-2" curve on the channel ends which helped to pull the sides up but stayed away from the cat cut sides. I always figured it would be kind of like sleeping in a bridge hammock without the spreader bars. The foot box method seems to be a great method. If I ever make a foot box, I would first cut the hammock in the shape of a trapezoid with the foot box on the long edge.

So, Boston .... are you saying you wouldnt do it angain or that it isnt worth doing in the first place? I have some lovely khaki ripstop nylon but I dont want to consign it to the dustbin lol

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I wouldn't do the long edge again as the hammocks I've made rercently haven't had a problem with floppy sides.

I wouldnt do the short end again because I find adding a foot box is much easier and more effective. Pulling the sides or doing the cat cut end limits useable width too. With a foot box you can use all the way to the edge of the hammock body.

The lay on the green hammock didn't change. I thinking the difference in lighting gives that appearance though. It was a short hammock as it had been cut and modified several times as I experimented. I made another using this concept, but had gone deeper on the long sides (6") and it didnt work out as well. So I would say keep the long side to a more shallow cut. No more than 3-4" for an 11ft body. I eventually made that hammock into a ghost prototype.
    Last edited by Boston; 01-30-2014 at 06:50.

Thank you for feeding back to me. I am intrigued still but maybe I will wait for a spare peice of fabric first!

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Hah not a bad idea. A big part of diy is experimenting and finding what works for you. Forunately fabric is fairly cheap :-)

Play around with adding a foot box. Its easy to do, and easy to undo. Try starting with a 5ft x 10ft hammock and a 32inx32inx42in foot box (sew the 32in sides to the hammock).

Hammock
    Dutchware netless gathered end.
    Tarp
    12x12 Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    0* bag TQ, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Hah not a bad idea. A big part of diy is experimenting and finding what works for you. Forunately fabric is fairly cheap :-)

Play around with adding a foot box. Its easy to do, and easy to undo. Try starting with a 5ft x 10ft hammock and a 32inx32inx42in foot box (sew the 32in sides to the hammock).
    I'm digging up a 6 year old thread, but how do you add a footbox? As in, where does it go?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123