WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I made a similar system with a DIY TQ out of some lightweight polyester fabric and 3/8" poly batting. Then added a fleece liner sewn to the same dimensions. The 3rd piece is a windbreaker over cover of polyester. Togeather it has gotten me thru the mid 20's along with polypro UW. For most of our hangs down here in Florida I leave the fleece at home and am good down into the 40's. Down would be nice but some have to except what's available.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gagodfrey View Post
    so with just a PLUQ and PLTQ how low can you go with moderate (2 layers max) clothing on?
    With no extra insulation added over and above your clothing? For normal sleep clothes (Capilene 3 tops and bottoms, a watch cap, and a pair of thick, loose, wool socks), I'd be willing to push it down to about freezing. I'd recommend the high-30s to low-40s for the mythical "average" sleeper; I'm an human furnace when I sleep.

YMMV, though.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    so with just a PLUQ and PLTQ how low can you go with moderate (2 layers max) clothing on?
    I would take it to 30* right now, but that would be with a ccf pad. Haven't tried it without the pad. My PLUQ is 2/3 length, so without the ccf pad, that still might be pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    I made a similar system with a DIY TQ out of some lightweight polyester fabric and 3/8" poly batting. Then added a fleece liner sewn to the same dimensions. The 3rd piece is a windbreaker over cover of polyester. Togeather it has gotten me thru the mid 20's along with polypro UW. For most of our hangs down here in Florida I leave the fleece at home and am good down into the 40's. Down would be nice but some have to except what's available.
    That sounds really nice. So the 3rd piece is just a windbreaker? Hmmmm.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I've taken mine to 28 with a space blanket/tarp thing in my hammock. Not uncomfy, just a little noisy...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

Oops

Quote Originally Posted by alrany187 View Post
    Please let me apologize. I didn't take your comments that way. I seriously did think of boxing it. I have read many of your posts and always appreciate your open and intelligent way of thinking out a project.
    Not sure if the pm went through( cell acting up) so here's my response:

Hey dude I guess after reading my comment to you I came off like i was a little upset. I apologize for the confusion, but I was not at all. I used my quilt like you have yours for a year before I boxed it and it worked well. I had little separate foot boxes for my feet, I was just presenting the other method as being easier. Once again sorry for the confusion and I hope I didn't offend you the way I wrote that. Take care and see you around...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Not sure if the pm went through( cell acting up) so here's my response:

Hey dude I guess after reading my comment to you I came off like i was a little upset. I apologize for the confusion, but I was not at all. I used my quilt like you have yours for a year before I boxed it and it worked well. I had little separate foot boxes for my feet, I was just presenting the other method as being easier. Once again sorry for the confusion and I hope I didn't offend you the way I wrote that. Take care and see you around...
    No offense taken or perceived.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    With no extra insulation added over and above your clothing? For normal sleep clothes (Capilene 3 tops and bottoms, a watch cap, and a pair of thick, loose, wool socks), I'd be willing to push it down to about freezing. I'd recommend the high-30s to low-40s for the mythical "average" sleeper; I'm an human furnace when I sleep.
    I wore my Fruit of the Looms, nylon sweatpants and a regular sweatshirt w/ no hood. As I said it got down to 35* and I was quite comfortable. I do wish I had worn the watch cap though.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That's good to know. I already made a PLUQ and was looking for an affordable summer TQ option for here in the Rockies. At elevation in the summer you can bank on temps in the 40s at night.

I just wish they were lighter...I guess that's why people pay for high quality down products.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    That's good to know. I already made a PLUQ and was looking for an affordable summer TQ option for here in the Rockies. At elevation in the summer you can bank on temps in the 40s at night.

I just wish they were lighter...I guess that's why people pay for high quality down products.
    I have a 30 degree compact sleeping bag and supplement with my pltq when I find myself in the freezing temps...here in guam I don't have that problem now, never gets below the mid 70's...

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    WL-Tad Pole -Black
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/MSH/Whoopie

Re: DIY Poncho liner Top quilt

Have you weighed it yet?
    TRIUMPH
    Go Your Own Way