OX Gear
    Tarp
    OX Shed
    Insulation
    Custom m50 HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Attached bug net

Okay so I love my hammock but have been finding myself wanting a zippered budget hammock again. I love the fact that I can leave my detachable bugnet at home when not needed. The problem I have is without a zippered bug net my feet can fall over the hammock when readjusting my legs. It doesn't happen a ton but does happen enough to be annoying.

When I slept in a Hh for a few nights I loved the fact I could move all around and not have to worry about body parts falling/hanging over hammock.

Anyone else have the same issues?
    I'm doing it wrong....

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Try a Knotty side mod for your current hammock and that may help you. Also, a few have put in foot boxes for themselves to also help.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Or you could use hangnout's version of the stretch side footbox here...
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=46195

I made a sewn in bugnet that came to a point at each end, like the hammock. I found it to be restrictive of the lay and my movement in the hammock.

I then made one using netting material cut the same size and rectangular shape as my hammock, like Switchback hammocks. I prefer that method as it did not affect the lay or my movements at all. The disadvantages of it is that it takes a bit more netting material and is therefore a bit heavier, and it requires attachment to the tarp ends to support the additional material. I felt these trade-offs were worth the additional comfort.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Or you could go back to the HH, and use the 2QZQ Mod#4 for when you feel like you don't want/need the netting to be in place. It doesn't stay at home, but it IS up and out of the way when you're not using it.

Best of both words, IMHO. The only downside is that you're still carrying it when you're not using it...if weight is that important to you, the this might not be the way to go.

All depends on which you value most.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Makes me wonder what kind of hammock and bugnet you have that your feet fall out. And if the zippered bugnet is keeping your feet in, then your feet are pressing against the bugnet and are probably gonna get bit.

Only time I have that feet-falling-out-of-hammock issue is on shorter hammocks (since retired to the gear closet).

I hate zippers so I'm completely sold on my Buginator independent bugnets.

Hammock
    OX Gear
    Tarp
    OX Shed
    Insulation
    Custom m50 HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Okay to clarify my hammock is an Ox Gear hammock. I also have an OX Gear bug-net that slides over the hammock. The hammock is 11ft long.

Ive tossed the knotty mod idea around for a while. Is it really worth it? Do you think it will help in my situation?
    I'm doing it wrong....

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Color me extremely curious on this thread. I've never heard of that brand of hammock. They have a pretty weird website that gives no weights, prices, dimensions, or anything. I'm very curious about the dimensions of your hammock and bugnet, since it all seems to be secret.

http://oxgearoutfitters.com/

Not the way I would run a business, but to each his own. Is that your website? I did a quick search of hammockforums and it appears you are the only owner of Oxgear on the forums, so it would be hard for anyone to share their experiences with that vendor.

I own a Hennessy Expedition, and I can't say that I shared the same experience as you - I never felt that the zippered bugnet was keeping my feet (or anything else) in the hammock.

"It keeps my feet in the hammock" just strikes me as a strange premise for getting an integrated, zippered bugnet. As mentioned by others, a knotty mod would do the same.

Though some argue that an integrated bugnet is lighter than an independent bugnet, methinks those folks are forgetting to weigh the zipper.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 03-25-2013 at 22:01.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hammockBlazn View Post

Ive tossed the knotty mod idea around for a while. Is it really worth it? Do you think it will help in my situation?
    Absolutely man. All my netless hammocks have it. It creates a pseudo footbox and somewhat of a pillow box at your head. I never have issues with my feet or quilt falling out. I did with my GTUL before I added the mod. When you guys come up you can check it out on some of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Color me extremely curious on this thread. I've never heard of that brand of hammock. They have a pretty weird website that gives no weights, prices, dimensions, or anything. I'm very curious about the dimensions of your hammock and bugnet, since it all seems to be secret.

Not the way I would run a business, but to each his own. Is that your website? I did a quick search of hammockforums and it appears you are the only owner of Oxgear on the forums, so it would be hard for anyone to share their experiences with that vendor.

I own a Hennessy Expedition, and I can't say that I shared the same experience as you - I never felt that the zippered bugnet was keeping my feet (or anything else) in the hammock.

"It keeps my feet in the hammock" just strikes me as a strange premise for getting an integrated, zippered bugnet. As mentioned by others, a knotty mod would do the same.

Though some argue that an integrated bugnet is lighter than an independent bugnet, methinks those folks are forgetting to weigh the zipper.
    Oxgear is a company being started by one of our forum members. I don't think he's officially in business yet, hence the lacking website. I can say after checking out some of his gear at a couple hangs that he makes some pretty nice stuff.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

I am the owner and creator of OXGEAR, I have not announced anything on the forum in a formal way as of yet.. well, until now I guess. Getting everything off the ground has been a labor of love up to this point.
    SilvrSurfr, I am not keeping any dimensions or weights secret, just trying to get everything all put together one piece at a time The website is an ongoing project that I hope to have complete eventually. If anyone has any questions please let me know. As a community we really do have some great vendors and creators, and I want to do my best to join their ranks. I don't have a plan to take over the world, I just want to make some great gear for folks to enjoy their time spent in the great outdoors. I happened to find something I was really good at. I really enjoy creating and making gear. If I can give back to the community, even in the smallest way, that is what makes me happy!

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    looks like a nice hammock! and love the tarp ideas. websites are hard to get going I know. in no time you will be up and runnin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast