building a support

I want to buy a hammock and build a support for it. Im goin to use it inside my house so i need somethin to support it.. Does anybody have a good design i can build? or a link. I have drawn up a few rough sketches but i want some suggestions from people that know better. Im doin this too save money too.

thanks

Read this thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=601

I plan to make Risk's hammock but with 4x4s intsead of 2x4s and I want to use BillyBob58's dual bottome struts.

Images
    There is pretty good directions on the site www.imrisk.com for the Risk version.

Welcome to the site.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

I had a question about risk's design. I built it, however on the part where the pole goes onto, i just screwed 2 screws so that the pole can 'sit' on those until i tension everything up by getting into the hammock. His instructions weren't really clear whether you should still try to make a depression for the pole to sit into or not if you're using the screw method. I have the right hole saw and chisel, it'd just be a pain in the butt.

Lastly, how much stress do you think is put on the bottom 10' support beam? I plan on reinforcing the 'sandwhich' in the middle with 2x4's, but i'd think that the whole thing would be pulling outwards and wouldn't have much force put on it.. not sure however.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko View Post
    I had a question about risk's design. I built it, however on the part where the pole goes onto, i just screwed 2 screws so that the pole can 'sit' on those until i tension everything up by getting into the hammock. His instructions weren't really clear whether you should still try to make a depression for the pole to sit into or not if you're using the screw method. I have the right hole saw and chisel, it'd just be a pain in the butt.

Lastly, how much stress do you think is put on the bottom 10' support beam? I plan on reinforcing the 'sandwhich' in the middle with 2x4's, but i'd think that the whole thing would be pulling outwards and wouldn't have much force put on it.. not sure however.
    I built the Risk Stand with a few modifications to make it easier to break down. You can see pics of it at Webshots.
    The modifications are:
    1. Anchor bolts and wing nuts to fasten the base cross piece to the ends.
    2. Hinge on base cross piece with a gate latch to hold it open when in use. When you unscrew the wing nuts on the ends the base will fold in half.
    3. PVC end cap with a hole drilled in it so an eye bolt can go through it and the 2X4. The end cap fits nicely inside the top pipe to hold it in place until pressure is put on it. The eye on the eye bolt gives something to tie your hammock rope or straps to.
    4. A piece of dowel screwed with an anchor bolt and wing nut to the side of the uprights. The dowel has an anchor bolt and wing nut in the end to hold the end of a tarp. The Kelty tarp in the pics has a grommet. It goes over the anchor bolt and is secured with the wing nut. The cord on the end of the tarp is tied to a screw hook lower on the upright to fully secure the tarp ridge. Sides tie out as usual.

I hope this helps.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Thanks, the overhead brace is in 2 pieces and the distance between uprights is 10 ft. just like in Risk's plans. The Kelty tarp is a 9X9 which makes the diagonal close to 13 ft. I've since made an 11 ft. ridge McCat style tarp (8 ft. wide) out of silver DWR which is in my avatar and some pics in my photos on this site. I've got the material to make a 12 ft. ridge X 10 ft. wide Black McCat out of sil as soon as I can get around to it.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

• + New Posts