Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Suspension
    cinch bugs
    Images
    I haven't bought any whoopie slings yet, and now that I've seen this, I may never buy any pre-made. The process looks a lot simpler than I would have imagined. Thanks for doing this!

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook
    Quote Originally Posted by Swjoergensen View Post
    Very good guide indeed. Just made a pair of whoopie slings, no fuss at all. Simple and easy to follow directions. Get some proper tools for it and it's so easy I wonder howcome everybody's not doing this

I use a bit of gardening-wire for fish-tool. It was a little bit too thin but worked well enough. Just had to pay attention to not separate the strands, but to move between them.

Thanks again.
    Thanks! They make actual tools called "Fids" which are kinda like a knitting needle with a loop at the end. But they're expensive, and of course you have to order them. Most people probably have some kind of wire around their house that would work. Glad it helped!

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankosl View Post
    Success!!!!
    Great video........I had some thin stainless steel lock wire in the garage which was perfect for the job.
    I was using amsteel and I wasn't quite sure about the best way to taper the ends, hence the first sling took me 2 hours to feed through.............yes, and very sore fingers.........
    Ok, so on the next one I took your advice, opened up the threads and pulled three strands out, trimmed them off and guess what.....that took about 30 seconds to pull through!!!

Another example of "practice makes perfect" again!

I can feel a few more projects coming on........

Thanks again!
    I bet picture hanging wire would work fairly well too if it was thick enough. Yeah I added a link in the description to my other video showing the tapering. But you did it right, and what a difference it makes right? I tried to skip it the first few times I made things, but its crucial. Once you get the basics of how to do it easily you make just about anything. Let me know if there's anything else you want to see how to make.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronist View Post
    I haven't bought any whoopie slings yet, and now that I've seen this, I may never buy any pre-made. The process looks a lot simpler than I would have imagined. Thanks for doing this!
    I bought some pre-made stuff before I figured out how to do it myself, and everything was made extremely well (very exact, no stress signs, made to manufacturer specs). But once you get the process down and use the right tools, you can make things at the same quality level.

Hammock
    TW green hornet
    Tarp
    DD 3x3m
    Insulation
    S.i.m.
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie
    You've started something now..........the whoopie slings are done, so I've now made 2 soft shackle carabiners as well!!!!
    The secret is definitely in tapering the ends, once you've done that it pulls through really easy.........here in the UK I'm paying £1 per metre for amsteel, there aren't many suppliers at the moment.
    Does anybody know of an alternative???

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    the cost of the USED hammock was certainly the least expensive item in this game

after reading about WHOOPIES i went on the search for the Amsteel & threads on how to make some of these cool accessories

150' @ 28¢, a couple rings, a couple longer straps, a couple, a couple, a couple.............

and, of course, the list goes on

this video & the one on the SAMSON website were/are INVALUABLE!!!

once the simple, did i say SIMPLE, tricks are mastered the production of these parts becomes a game & the results are a WIN/WIN deal

i have now removed one of the covers that surrounds the connection point on my hammock and am making a set of ring replacements for the ropes

the ring will just barely stick out of the end of the hammock & i will attach my WHOOPIES to them

this should allow any water to drip off the rings as well as allowing me to separate the hammock from a wet suspension system, for storage

for anyone who may be in doubt about doing this stuff yourself, DON'T BE!!!

THIS IS FUN!!!

as well as being productive

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook

Video: How to make Whoopie Slings

Quote Originally Posted by Tankosl View Post
    You've started something now..........the whoopie slings are done, so I've now made 2 soft shackle carabiners as well!!!!
    The secret is definitely in tapering the ends, once you've done that it pulls through really easy.........here in the UK I'm paying £1 per metre for amsteel, there aren't many suppliers at the moment.
    Does anybody know of an alternative???
    Once you figure out how to do it all you want to do is make more right? Sorry I don't know anything about UK suppliers

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook

Video: How to make Whoopie Slings

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    the cost of the USED hammock was certainly the least expensive item in this game

after reading about WHOOPIES i went on the search for the Amsteel & threads on how to make some of these cool accessories

150' @ 28¢, a couple rings, a couple longer straps, a couple, a couple, a couple.............

and, of course, the list goes on

this video & the one on the SAMSON website were/are INVALUABLE!!!

once the simple, did i say SIMPLE, tricks are mastered the production of these parts becomes a game & the results are a WIN/WIN deal

i have now removed one of the covers that surrounds the connection point on my hammock and am making a set of ring replacements for the ropes

the ring will just barely stick out of the end of the hammock & i will attach my WHOOPIES to them

this should allow any water to drip off the rings as well as allowing me to separate the hammock from a wet suspension system, for storage

for anyone who may be in doubt about doing this stuff yourself, DON'T BE!!!

THIS IS FUN!!!

as well as being productive

sw
    Thanks! Glad you found it so helpful. Anyone can definitely do it with the right technique and tools.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner/Darien UL
    Tarp
    Spinntek Mamajamba
    Insulation
    TQ LeighLo/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCRs
    Just finished building a pair of whoopies for my WBRR. Thank you so much for posting this video. It was easy and actually quite enjoyable. I will be hanging on these tonight. Thanks again.
    Life is short and then it's forever..

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    just an update on my success...

i hung my new system, this week & it worked as intended

a couple adjustments was all it took, to make everything level/the desired angle

that being said/done, i took a little time to play with a 40" piece of 7/64th Amsteel

i spliced a 2" loop in each end of the piece, w/ a 6" bury of tapered tail

i used the double pass thru in the process

once finished, i used it to link my grandson's 1-ton dually to my Jeep & towed it across the pasture

I AM CONVINCED THIS PROCESS IS STRONG ENOUGH!!!

thanks, again for the VERY CLEAR/INFORMATIVE VIDEO

sw
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast