Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*/30*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I picked up some CF poles from Zpacks I think it was to do a treeless set-up since I haven't felt the need for walking sticks just yet. My superbly is great and big, i've slept 4 people under a USGI poncho before so I know the SF would hold many in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Look, I know we all hate the thought of it, but let's face it: sometimes hanging isn't an option. It's been gusty all day today, so I figured it would be a great opportunity to practice setting up my Warbonnet Superfly as a tarp tent. Put two unfortunate circumstances together: dealing with being on the ground, and having to pitch in decent winds. This was actually my first time setting it up on the ground, and it was interesting, and a good learning experience. And I'm glad I did it in the wind, because that posed its own difficulties to have to deal with and learn to work around.

ANYWHO. Picture time! We've all likely seen pictures of the Superfly pitched over a hammock, and the many various ways that can be done (and if not, a simple search will show many), so I won't bother posting anything like that. Besides, this thread is about it being pitched on the ground. (Note: You'll have to use your imagination a tidbit, and pretend the PVC poles you see being used on the pullouts are trail branches)

Before deployment; I keep it wrapped up in velcro cable ties, and those are my trekking poles (which, coincidentally, can also be used as spreaders on the Ridgerunner, and as porch-mode poles... coincidence that they're multi-use? I THINK NOT):

First up is the "fair-weather" setup.

Fully deployed:

Chickens decided they liked it better out of the wind. With the pullouts, it is downright cavernous in there. 12'x7'x3' the way I had it pitched. Could easily have slept 3 people in there, probably more if in a pinch. And big enough to sit completely upright in it:

Next up is the "storm mode" setup, using only one trekking pole with the other side staked directly to the ground and with that side into the wind.

Could probably sleep two in there, but it might start getting uncomfortable (as if the ground alone wasn't enough to contend with). For one person, it'd be roomy.

Had a lot of fun playing with it out there. The Superfly is an AMAZINGLY versatile tarp. Like I said above, there are many (as in, A LOT of) ways it can be pitched over a hammock, and there are pictures of that all over the forums. While I haven't actually actively searched for any, I've not seen any pictures of it pitched on the ground. So, there you have it.

If anyone else has any pictures of this bad boy pitched on the ground, let's see 'em!
    Nice. Is that digital camo?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Here's my ground mode. I was at home so I used extra poles and stuff but this is ground mode for me in nice weather.

2015-08-21 14.25.57.jpg2015-08-21 14.26.36.jpg
    Brady

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    And now to resurrect an old thread...

Thanks for showing us this! I did a quick search to see if this would work; lo and behold—it will. You saved me from wasting money on some other tarp when my Superfly will do nicely.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    And now to resurrect an old thread...

Thanks for showing us this! I did a quick search to see if this would work; lo and behold—it will. You saved me from wasting money on some other tarp when my Superfly will do nicely.
    I’ve never noticed this thread, thanks for bringing it back!

I’ve never slept under my Superfly on the ground, but I’ve set it up just to make sure I could do it. These are some neat options!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Wide , WB Sock, BIASbuginato
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    BeetleB & K straps
    Looks great. One thing that I do is add a beastee dee ring to the ridgline outside the door. Then you can attach the tracking pole to it, opening up the doorway for access(no more pole in the way), but still providing the lift and support needed to keep it up.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/beastee-dee-rings/
    Last edited by clusterone; 10-06-2018 at 16:07.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Shug also has a great video on going to the ground with your hammock that I have tried with my Superfly and WBBB. I don't remember what the link is but the next time I get the chance I'll set mine up again and post pictures

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    My buddy and I backpacked the Beaten Path Trail in the Beartooth Mountains last year. We figured we would be able to use our hammocks for the whole trip but it wasn't a sure thing. So, in preparation of the worst, we each did a trial run setting up our tarps as tents. These are the photos I took of my Superfly set up as a tent.

The Beaten Path Thru-Hike
    https://youtu.be/N9YotTASn00

The Beaten Path - Trip Planning
    https://youtu.be/KnET2w6j8Fs

My friend's trip video - Superlatives
    https://youtu.be/F4qdXyfa148

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sparky32; 10-06-2018 at 18:33.
    YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker
    https://www.youtube.com/GreatLakesBackpacker534

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    That setup looks like of "floppy"...did you snug up the lines and corners later? Seems like that would flap like mad in the wind.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    That setup looks like of "floppy"...did you snug up the lines and corners later? Seems like that would flap like mad in the wind.
    Yes, it was very flappy but I only wanted a quick attempt at the basic setup to get the basic concept. I did actually tighten up the setup a bit after I took these photos.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker
    https://www.youtube.com/GreatLakesBackpacker534

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123