Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock gear 20
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Arrow Tahoe rim trail

Me and my friend want t do a thru hike of the tahoe rim trail this summer.
    Anyone know what time of the year is best?
    Are there any mail drops on the trail for food,maps, ect.?
    If there is anyone who did it before then who ad how long did it take you.tell me about our experience.
    I am the all-singing, all-dancing crap of this world.... I am the toxic waste by-product of God's creation. ~Chuck Palahniuk,

Hammock
    TrekLight
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    7D HG 3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    This should help. Have fun !
    Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho ~ Jambi

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock gear 20
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    thanks bro
    I am the all-singing, all-dancing crap of this world.... I am the toxic waste by-product of God's creation. ~Chuck Palahniuk,

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreen View Post
    This should help. Have fun !
    I was mountain biking the Rim trail this summer and ran into a few groups of thru hikers that were a member of the trail club from the link above. These folks had the route dialed in. All the logistics were taken care of by the club. I belive they do this every year. Hook up with them and you'd be set.

S

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Nevada Hammocker:

I'm also planning on doing this trail this year. I live down the hill about 60 miles in Colfax so I've hiked in the general area for several years.

Depending on the winter, and this year has been very light, there could be heavy snow (up to 6 feet) above 7000 feet as late as June. On north facing slopes I've seen snow up to 3 feet as late as August. This year has been a light snow year so the trail will probably be open all the way around by late June to early July. When it's 100 degrees plus down here at 2300 feet elevation in August it's often only 80 degrees up at 6000 feet and higher. So even a heat wave down low won't be too bad up there.

The next 2 issues to think about are mosquito season and daylight hours.

In August I've seen really thick mosquitoes, especially around dusk. That also depends on the amount of water so with a light snow year as we've had that season will start and end earlier. But you can also mitigate this by not camping near lakes or meadows. Not camping by lakes and meadows also lessens the chance of having bears or mountain lions near your camp. We've had a couple mountain lion incidents here recently and we had one put down just last week about 5 miles from my house.

I like to hike in September when the bugs are less of a problem, the temperatures are a bit cooler, and the daylight hours are still fairly long. September to October are the prime times to backpack unless we get a really early winter storm in October.

Also, the entire hike is free except for the Desolation wilderness where you will need to get a wilderness permit ahead of time. Permits for the Desolation Wilderness are $10 per person per day.

Go ahead and PM me if you like. My plan is to do it in 8 to 9 days starting and ending in Tahoe Meadows. That way I can have a resupply point half way in at Echo Lake. If our schedules match and you are open to the idea I wouldn't mind sharing the hike with a group.

[edit] I almost forgot. Check out The Trail Show podcast at http://www.thetrailshow.com/ or on iTunes. Episode #4 is about the TaRT. They were moderately positive about the trail. But remember, the 4 folks at The Trail Show are all triple crown hikers (PCT, AT and CDT) so a quick 170 mile loop is pretty small for them. I think Paul "Mags" Magnanti did it in only 6 days with an average of 28 miles per day.
    Last edited by GregB; 03-12-2013 at 09:10.

• + New Posts