Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images

material needed

have'nt seen the info posted on here yet, so i figured i would ask. I have someone to help with the sewing, so i am thinking of making my first hammock. One problem, what fabric should i use? Weight savings is great, but I want something that will hold 400 lbs. I don't know if the weights listed by several hammock makers are for the fabrics used or the suspension. Then there is the question of how much i need. If someone can tell me approximately how much for both gathered end and bridge. I am 6 ft 2 tall and weigh in at 350 Thanks again

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    My only suggestion is, for whichever design and fabric you go for, to make it a double layer hammock. That will really toughen it up. Hopefully some more technically minded folk who know fabrics can give you better advice than that, or at least key you in on what exactly to look for when you purchase.

Also, if a hammock is rated for 400lbs, the fabric has to be able to hold that while suspended. That said, I wouldn't suggest doing a lot of bouncing around with 400lbs in one.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A lot of it depends on how committed you are to "first time every time". In otherwords.. start with Pack cloth if that's what gives you a feeling of security. Then go lighter on the model. (Personally I think pack cloth is overkill, but I wouldn't order 1.1 ripstop even with a double bottom for my first effort.) A good quality polyester weave like a shirt fabric is what would most likely go for. I wouldn't try my first effort with an old worn out bed sheet. But if the local bed and bath big box had a special sale on a California King that was just simply to ugly to sell and that was the best price/yd I would certainly not be above hanging that in the back yard and laying in it.

That will give you a lot of experience and experimentation.

As always... never hang higher than you are willing fall... at least until you get to know your gear.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    thanks rr. would a bed sheet be strong enough? I was reading a thread about a down hammock, and they talked about using 2.5 oz ripstop. what is the weight rating on that? again thanks to you and sclittlefeild for the help.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Use whatever you feel secure in at first. I am like a 100# lighter than you so I haven't even given that much thought. But go to an outfitter and check out the fabric ENO and the HAAB hammocks use. They are rated for about 400#.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images

Triple layer?

How about a triple layer of 1.9, or perhaps two 1.9's and a 1.1 layer? Speer sells this fabric at a great price: http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Supplies.htm

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I've made one with pack cloth. At least, that's what I think it is ($1.50/yd from walmart clearance shelves - I'm still not terribly familiar with what fabric is what). In any case, I think you could put an engine block in it and have no trouble. And since it's just one layer, it's not all that heavy (I don't have a proper scale so I can't give you real numbers).

I weigh in at about 200# less than the 350# mark, so I won't tell you what to use. That said, if you can get some good rugged stuff at your local Walmart for 1.50/yd, I say give it a whirl. That's a $5.00 hammock (3 and 1/3 yds ), before thread and whatever you do for suspension. Not a bad deal. What could possibly go wrong, right?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly or CCS
    Insulation
    Yeti or DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    You might want to check into Dyneema. I'm not sure if this would be the right type of fabric for a hammock but I'm sure someone here will chime in if it's not. Pricey stuff/ it will hold the weight for sure. http://thru-hiker.com/materials/coated.php

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I weigh 350 and am 6'3. I use an eno double and have never, ever had a scare. I toss and turn at night and my poor old Eno has never even once made me think it was going to rip, tear, break, etc. Get an eno... sleep comfortable.

Images
    A double...now that just makes sense!

Both the Grand Trunk and Eno are rated to 400 lbs, and are quite inexpensive...

In case you decide to DIY, I thought I would pass along a link that may help:

http://www.questoutfitters.com/fabri...ated%20Fabrics

If you scroll down, there is a fabric called 3.4-4 oz. supplex nylon. That is a really heavy fabric that may be up your alley...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast