Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    I know this from my kite flying days. We use Spectra/Dyneema lines (75 to 150 feet long) that need to be exactly the same length for dual and quad line kites.
    This points out one instance where I DO think millimeter precision is important - anytime you need to make 2 spliced items of exact same length. Pairs of dog bones used in bridge hammock suspension, for example. It might not matter if each one is a half inch or so off from "nominal," but it definitely matters that they are identical.

And you're completely right about Amsteel or others stretching back out under loading. I always notice how stiff whoopies or CL's are when taking down my suspensions compared to what the cordage is like before any loading is applied.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I use amsteel for structural ridgelines because occasionally I need to hang between trees that are far apart. In those situations the ridgeline needs to be just as strong as the 30° line to the hammock. A locked brummel bury can shorten amsteel by as much as 4". You can calculate the exact length of a ridgeline with brummels at both ends, but it's much easier to put a whoopie sling at one end for adjustment. There's another reason to do this: the 83% figure is just an approximation. Fine tuning a ridgeline length by an inch or two can change the feel of the hammock, and it takes time to arrive at your preferred length since you only really know how a given set-up feels after you spend a night in it. Experiment! (And keep the whoopie.)

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Just watched the vid wondered how those were made thanks!
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As to the amount of bury "shrinkage", I think 1 inch per 4 inches of bury, for 7/64ths Amsteel, is close. There are formulas at various websites and videos; they depend upon the diameter of the line.

The for the question on the ridge line dog bone - you didn't mention the size of your loops. To the lengths easily measured, I add one inch for a four inch bury (a little more for 5 inches, etc.) and about an inch on each end to cut a taper. For an 8 inch loop with 5 inch bury, that would be 16 inches for the loop, plus 10 inches for the bury, plus 2 inches shrinkage, plus two inches taper for a total of 30 inches.

The dog bones are tricker because you have bury and loop diameter length. If you want a 9 foot dog bone with 2 inch loops and five inch bury that would be: 9 foot for the length (to start of loop), plus 8 inches for two 2 inch loops, plus 8 inches for two 4 inch buries, plus 2 inches for two tapers, plus about 2 inches for both bury shrinkages. So 8 + 8 + 2 + 2 = 20 and 9 x 12 = 108 so that would be 128 inches for a 9 ft line with a 2 inch loop on each end and 4 inch buries.

It would be nice to have a "sticky" with formula information or some standard sizes (like 8 inch loop) of different diameter line (7/64, 2.2mm, 1.75mm)
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    As to the amount of bury "shrinkage", I think 1 inch per 4 inches of bury, for 7/64ths Amsteel, is close. There are formulas at various websites and videos; they depend upon the diameter of the line.

The for the question on the ridge line dog bone - you didn't mention the size of your loops. To the lengths easily measured, I add one inch for a four inch bury (a little more for 5 inches, etc.) and about an inch on each end to cut a taper. For an 8 inch loop with 5 inch bury, that would be 16 inches for the loop, plus 10 inches for the bury, plus 2 inches shrinkage, plus two inches taper for a total of 30 inches.

The dog bones are tricker because you have bury and loop diameter length. If you want a 9 foot dog bone with 2 inch loops and five inch bury that would be: 9 foot for the length (to start of loop), plus 8 inches for two 2 inch loops, plus 8 inches for two 4 inch buries, plus 2 inches for two tapers, plus about 2 inches for both bury shrinkages. So 8 + 8 + 2 + 2 = 20 and 9 x 12 = 108 so that would be 128 inches for a 9 ft line with a 2 inch loop on each end and 4 inch buries.

It would be nice to have a "sticky" with formula information or some standard sizes (like 8 inch loop) of different diameter line (7/64, 2.2mm, 1.75mm)
    (20 x the Diameter ) x 3 I believe is recommended bury on amsteel blue - might check it but Works out to 6.5"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    (20 x the Diameter ) x 3 I believe is recommended bury on amsteel blue - might check it but Works out to 6.5"
    I try not to be the guy that starts by saying "actually," but actually....

One "fid length" is 21x the diameter of the rope.

For 7/64" (.1094") diameter, fid length = 2.297"

Bury length should be 3.5x fid length, so in this case just about 8".

Is that overkill for hammock applications where we don't come close to the load limit of the rope? Quite possibly. Those are the definitions Samson recommends though.

It could also be that in the case of an eye splice with a locked brummel, the length of the bury is not as critical as it would be for the constrictor portion of a UCR or whoopie sling. I can't confidently speak to that...
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-15-2019 at 11:55.

Images
    Here's a pretty solid thread from last year.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...length-of-bury

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I try not to be the guy that starts by saying "actually," but actually....

One "fid length" is 21x the diameter of the rope.

For 7/64" (.1094") diameter, fid length = 2.297"

Bury length should be 3.5x fid length, so in this case just about 8".

Is that overkill for hammock applications where we don't come close to the load limit of the rope? Quite possibly. Those are the definitions Samson recommends though.

It could also be that in the case of an eye splice with a locked brummel, the length of the bury is not as critical as it would be for the constrictor portion of a UCR or whoopie sling. I can't confidently speak to that...
    Nice - yeah no offense taken. It's why I suggested checking

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345