Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images

? For Those Who Have Made Bridge Hammocks

I have noticed the Ridgerunner at Warbonnet has a weight limit of 250lbs. Is this typical for a weight range on the DIY bridges? I want to make one just to see what all the fuss is about, but worry about the max load limit. I weigh a not so svelte 250.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have a Ridgerunner and have made one of a similar design. I haven't researched much to know what the limitations are. My best guess is that the strength of the spreader bars to be able to overcome buckling may be the limiting factor. It is my understanding that the length of the suspension triangles has a large effect on the force applied to the bars....longer triangles = lower compressive forces.

Those with more knowledge should be jumping in shortly.

Let me know if you would like to give mine a try (we could talk UQ's at the same time).

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You can.
    But the whole purpose of the bridge (beyond the "lay flat" part) is to be lightweight. For a heavier person all things would need to be increased. Poles, suspension, fabric, etc., would need to be "more". How much more?? I can't say. Thicker spreader poles to deal with the compression forces. Thicker fabric, 1.9 or maybe heavier. Heavy duty webbing.

So there you go. You can build a suitable bridge hammock for heavy folks, it'll just weigh more, be bulkier to pack. And it'll cost more.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I have a Ridgerunner and have made one of a similar design. I haven't researched much to know what the limitations are. My best guess is that the strength of the spreader bars to be able to overcome buckling may be the limiting factor. It is my understanding that the length of the suspension triangles has a large effect on the force applied to the bars....longer triangles = lower compressive forces.

Those with more knowledge should be jumping in shortly.

Let me know if you would like to give mine a try (we could talk UQ's at the same time).
    I might take you up on that. Your not that far away at all - near Camp Atterbury on 31? Yeah - I believe I'd like to take you up on that if the weather will cooperate. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    You can.
    But the whole purpose of the bridge (beyond the "lay flat" part) is to be lightweight. For a heavier person all things would need to be increased. Poles, suspension, fabric, etc., would need to be "more". How much more?? I can't say. Thicker spreader poles to deal with the compression forces. Thicker fabric, 1.9 or maybe heavier. Heavy duty webbing.

So there you go. You can build a suitable bridge hammock for heavy folks, it'll just weigh more, be bulkier to pack. And it'll cost more.
    Since I seem to be on the heavier end of the spectrum, heavier components won't be a problem. I'm not a light weight weenie - no offense to the light weight weenies!
    I can live with the little added weight. I still use a 20 year old Dana Terra Plane pack that weighs in at 7.5 lbs empty - but it sure is comfortable. I understand bridges provide a very flat lay, which is what I want.

I think I'll have a go at building one. Thanks gargoyle. You too gmcttr!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

• + New Posts