Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps

Central Iowa Ledges "Shroon" Hang May 10 -12

Some interest has been expressed about a central Ia. Hang, so lets do it. May 10 is traditional Morel Mushroom season here in central Ia. It's hard to think, with currently 6+ inches of snow, 2 months from now daytime temps should be close to 70 or better, and nightly temps should be 45-50 degrees. Ledges State Park, South of Boone has about 80 camping spots with plenty of hammocky looking trees. A bit of research will need to be done regards reserving sites, or that kinda thing. A word of caution.... several cases of lyme disease have been contracted by mushroom hunters in Boone County, so Permethrin on your clothing and gear is highly recommended. Perhaps a trip by this guy to Tractor Supply west of Ankeny Menards to stock up on the high powered mix to share is in order. For those of you not local, Ledges State Park is South of the Race Track 4-way stop at Boone. A quicker way is East of Boone, and South about 4 miles on Hwy. 17. Look for the brown sign, and a blacktop road west. This way takes you right to the campgrounds. Oh, yes, FYI.. when driving past Boone on Hwy 30, be aware of the 45 mph speed limit. The local cops run a very lucrative speed trap in this area.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Depending on my kids baseball schedule, I should be able to make it.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images

Re: Central Iowa Ledges "Shroon" Hang May 10 -12

Hey is anyone going to this? There is an outside chance that I could actually be free. If it is happening, we should probably start talking about it.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images

Re: Central Iowa Ledges "Shroon" Hang May 10 -12

One thing to keep in mind is that it is Mother's day weekend. So, I might be going out of town for that.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    OOps! Didn't know about Mom's day. Since I proposed this shindig, any counter offers are open for consideration. Seems like a few folks had commented about having a central Ia, Hang' Ledges is a perfect spot. I remain open to suggestions.

Hammock
    Unknown model Hennessy
    I'll be up for an Iowa hang when my hammock gets here, and I get a little experience.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Seems like a distinct lack of interest in this shindig. Can't say as its hard to see why. 25 deg. this morning, frost on the car. Generally colder'n a polar bear's butt this winter. The weather man has good news this morning, tho. Supposed to hit 70 this Sat. with an overnite low of 50. Looks like a good time to shake off the stir-crazy cabin fever and go over to Ledges for an overnighter. Anyone wants to show up, It would be nice to meet other central Ia hangers. Then, if nobody wants to get together in a coupla weeks for some mushroom hunting and hanging together I'll just blow this off and pack the ATV off to the Ozarks for some trail riding.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Ledges has a really nice campground. Real popular too, it seems. The first warm weekend brought out a nearly full campground. The electric sites for the 5th-wheel crowd were nearly full, and there were a horde of scouts having a camp out. Asked the DNR guy if there is any problem with hammocks. "Nope, they're getting more popular every year." The latrines were open, and what a surprise to find warm showers provided! It was a perfect time to test my new TX250 Clark with 0-deg. incubator. Outside temp hit a low 46 but inside the weather shield it stayed 54deg. Only a blue Swiss army surplus fleece sleeping bag was needed. There is a pine grove off on the East side of the campground that looks good next time. I'll definitely be back again. Do I have to beg for company?

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Hey good to know Ledges was a success. I'm still lurking on this thread.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    I've been closely observing the weather, 'sposed to rain again Fri. Bah,Humbug! Also, its been pointed out that this is Mom's Day weekend, so what say we put it off a week, till the 17, 18TH? Hopefully, the morels will be popping up then too. Damp as its been there should be a bumper crop once they get going. Any other suggestions are welcome.

• + New Posts