Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images

What's your hammock/camp routine?

I don't think this has been discussed before and I'm quite curious...

How many folks out there "set it and forget it"... vs .... the continual "rig tinkerers"?

So what's your routine once you get into camp?

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Of course it depends on the conditions, but most folks #1 priority is putting the pack down and resting for a sec....possibly even scrounging something to eat...If you are rolling into camp in the dark or near it, the shelter goes up ASAP.

Again, dependent on the conditions, but I like to put up the hammock first so I can figure out a good rig/pitch for the tarp (again, dependent on conditions).

Rig up the UQ and get a quick lay to make sure things are setup properly....then on to the next camp tasks.

One thing I do tinker with is my tarp rig/pitch. I might make observations overnight or just sitting there from the fire analyzing my setup.

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    I myself like to rapid deployment, not much into tinkering. simple and easy ='s more time for other things i enjoy more and fast take down when the need arises.... set up camp, gather firewood, find water if needed, prepare food. i spend the rest of my time enjoying where im at and do alot of exploring
    Last edited by crackrbilly; 02-27-2013 at 16:43.
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    drop the pack, libation, and a quick fart around camp looking for a good hang spot.

used to tweak my setup A LOT - but have tried to cut that back now that i'm familiar with my rig.

so, basically just aim to get the sit height right and the head a bit lower, so some initial in and out testing.

packing up to leave is a whole other story --- my second trail name is SLOWPACK
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    First thing I do at camp is make sure I have water or check the spring is OK- otherwise I gotta hike on. If it's close to dark, I throw a rope for the bear bag next-- I can set up the hammock in the dark no problem, but finding a good branch is harder in the dark. Then I wander around looking at tree spacing, wind direction, overhanging branches, and only then do I set up the hammock and then the tarp.

I transform into a "tinker" only when I hear thunder or think a storm is approaching.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    In winter.

1. Get my breath back
    2. Hydrate
    3. Gather fire wood. This way you have a place to warm your hands etc while you do other cores.
    4. Get fire started.
    6 Get the kettle on
    7. Set up camp i.e from now on that's hang up all the swinging stuff and tarp
    8. get some food into me.
    9. get into my dry shift
    10. Enjoy

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

What's your hammock/camp routine?

Once I have found my trees, I put my tarp up right away. Then put down my ground tarp. From there anything could happen, eat, put up hammock, mess with the bike, wonder around looking for fire wood or just sit there and relax. It all depends on weather and time of day. If its raining and legal I get to work on a fire, if its sunny and hot, sit in the shade and drink ice tea. I find the secret is to start the camping with lots of day left because setting up by head lamp sucks.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WL down uq
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Chose site
    Hang pack from tree
    Tidy up area
    Set up fire pit
    Gathering wood
    Get fire going
    Set up hammock and tarp
    Cook when fire is ready
    Relax and enjoy nature
    And finally sleep
    Backpacking: An extended form of hiking in which people carry double the amount of gear they need for half the distance they planned to go in twice the time it should take. ~Author Unknown
    Big Joe

Set it and forget it. Whole point of practicing and dialing in at home. I like enjoying the scenery and I'm hungry about 100% of the time I'm on the trail so the quicker I get set up quicker I can get chow going. Tinkering is my least favorite part, hurts my head-parts.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    If its been a long day,Ill get to camp ,pull out my cook kit and start the water boiling. While the water boils ,I set up my rig,hanging all sweaty clothes to dry,and shedding the shoes in warm weather ,so i can enjoy the barefoot thing ,while my boots are drying for the next day (insoles seperate from the shoes). About that time ive got a boil,so i eat. After the meal if im real sweat /sticky ill wipe down with some soap ,and water. Then aply a little gold bond to battle the chance of guald.The rest of the night is mine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast