Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Choosing Temp Rating of Down Items

I'm new to backpacking. I live in southwest Virginia (Blacksburg). I plan to hike primarily from late March early April into early October. I will pre plan trips to try not to head out when it dips below freezing as I'm not sure about cold weather camping yet.

Question is, how do I choose my down rating? It would seem 45 degree might not work early in the year and a 20 degree set would be very hot in the warmer months. So which to choose and why?

Which quilts would you choose and why? From which vendor? I can only afford one set right now so buying both isn't an option.

Thanks guys.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Get a 20* set, since it will work for 10* below what you plan for. As for camping in the weather warmer than that, lots of things can be done. $10 cheap fleece liner from some cheapo big box store works for when the temps are above 60* all night. you will find yourself kicking off the covers in some temps, but 20* is a good starting place.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'd also start with a 20* setup. It's easier to vent than to add heat. You may end up getting a second warmer weather set eventually but 20 is a good place to begin.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Big Daddy Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF/
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling

Choosing Temp Rating of Down Items

I went with a 20* under and 40* top quilts. I figured its much easier to add insulation to the top since anything you lay on compresses. Vent in summer and add sleeping bag liner in winter.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pj1008 View Post
    I went with a 20* under and 40* top quilts. I figured its much easier to add insulation to the top since anything you lay on compresses. Vent in summer and add sleeping bag liner in winter.
    Ditto

swank

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    If you think 20 is too much,,,you can get a 30 degree synthetic from Arrowhead full length or a down from Leigh-lo in 66" long. both these suppliers make a awesome 30 degree UQ. You can dress to sleep in colder weather by adding layers to sleep in or even a heavier top quilt or sleeping bag over you heavier also. Or,,you can add to the 30 degree UQ's a layer such as a space blanket, or a Under Quilt Protector over the quilt to add a few degrees of warmth. Lots of ways to add heat,,and lots of choices. Good luck in your endevours and happy hanging.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    For your situation, I would choose a Leigh Lo 30 degree 66" quilt.

Why? Because in your situation it is all you would need. However, you will run in to some sweaty nights during the summer, but you can always vent.

I think it is your best bet, and for the money it is truly a bargain.

OR!!!

If you think 85 - 90+% of your nights will be above 40, I would recommend a Te Wa Breeze under quilt and similarly rated TQ, perhaps the WL one. If it is going to be 30+ you could always utilize the pad with your UQ to get you where you need to be.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

After some real reflection I think I am going to order a set of 40 degree quilts as this should cover 90% of my trips. Then if I later get into winter camping and the fends allow I'll purchase a 20 degree set.

Now just to decide which 40 degree set to buy. I like the looks of full length UQ's, That seems like the most hassle free setup. Or am I over thinking the use a fractional quilt? I like that I wouldn't have to carry a pad to potentially put under my feet and very little fiddle factor.

Can anyone recommend who makes a nice set of down 40 degree quilts? There are so many choices it's a bit overwhelming for a beginner. One I was looking at was the JRB Shenandoah, I like that it's so light but I cant hardly find any info on using it as an UQ. What about the WL SSUQ/TQ?

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Choices,,,WL has a nice set..so does Hammock Gear, and so does Underground Quilts,,all great 40 degree quilts both TQ and UQ...who ever you deal with is great to deal with and can't go wrong. Enjoy what ever you get..and you can always add a couple of extra ozs of down to what ever you buy for overstuffing and a few extra degrees of warmth.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I'm a pad guy, but these people on HF know what they're talking about, I trust them and would get a 20 UQ per their recommendations for the spring and fall months.

For hot summer nights, I bring a very light 40 to 50 degree bag, that's it. For most of the hot and muggy nights, no under protection. About 4 AM, if I get a very slight chill, I will climb into my bag.

I also like to nap in the late afternoon/early evening, after a long hike and before dinner, and when its in the 90s, I don't want anything under me except hammock fabric.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast