WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WBSF, WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba
    Suspension
    W.Slings, Adj.Web

First hang and first impressions.

So my wait was finally over when the postman came today. My first hammock had finally arrived! I promptly opened the box and hung the hammock in my living room. Unfortunately, my mount points were a book case and the fireplace mantle... neither of which I would trust with my weight.

So, off I went to my uncles partially wooded property. I walked for about 3 minutes before I found some trees I thought might work.

WBBB, WL Tadpole, Yeti UQ.

Took about 15 minutes to set up. It's a bit different doing it outside. I had to make an effort to keep everything off the ground because it was muddy as heck back there.

So, the WBBB:
    First, good lord this thing is comfortable. Sooo much better than being on the ground.

I quickly discovered the "Calf Ridge" everyone talks about. Remembering Brandon's suggestion to move more towards the head end completely eliminated it though. I'm definitely going to have to practice the setup some more because my ridge line was guitar string tight and my head was a little higher than I think it should have been. For my first time I think I did well though. I had about 6" under the UQ before the ground when I was in the hammock.

Now for the Yeti (20*)...

Truth be told, this was where I was most skeptical. I just couldn't quite wrap my head around this device possibly being as warm as everyone said it was. Boy was I mistaken. It was a nice 38* and sunny when I did my setup and after getting the quilt situated, WOW. That thing is toasty. Lucky for me, I'm short so despite it being a torso length it covers from shoulder to halfway down my calf. It was interesting to move it to different places to see how it affected my overall warmth. With the quilt in the correct spot I was perfectly warm without any kind of top layer. I did know exactly where the quilt ended and can see how cold feet become an issue. I'm not much for camping in cold weather (below 40 during the night was my limit) but this might push me to start venturing out of my normal temperature range.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. The quality of the items is fantastic and they were definitely worth the wait.

I didn't get a chance to try out the SF due to a time constraint and all my lines were on the tadpole. Hopefully I'll get a chance to hang that in the near future though.

Also, MSR Groundhogs, the little pull rope sucks, they have now been removed.
    Insanity Happens...

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Nice post and pictures! Glad you found your nirvana...

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

First hang and first impressions.

Congratulations!
    Now you're banging your forehead & saying, "What was I thinking, sleeping on the ground like that?"
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Looking pretty good. Your suspension looks a little shallow. If your structural ridgeline is too tight just lengthen the suspension a little to increase the angle of suspension. Once that is done, raise the webbing on the trees to get the desired height from the ground. People find it more comfortable if the foot end in higher than the head end.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Looking pretty good. Your suspension looks a little shallow. If your structural ridgeline is too tight just lengthen the suspension a little to increase the angle of suspension. Once that is done, raise the webbing on the trees to get the desired height from the ground. People find it more comfortable if the foot end in higher than the head end.
    +1 on that. Make some adjustments over the next few wks and you'll discover the sweet spot/your sweet spot. I find having the correct RL tightness really affects my hang and its pretty much is in line with Brandon's suggestions.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WBSF, WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba
    Suspension
    W.Slings, Adj.Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately I only had about 40 minutes before I had to leave to get my kids from school, so doing any fine tuning wasn't on the schedule. It was my first attempt, I think it went well. Unfortunately I don't have access to 2 trees at my house. I'm going to have to build something soon for more practice. Also, being short doesn't help.
    Insanity Happens...

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Congrarts!! Love my bird as well..... Perfect day to set it up..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Shenandah,Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Great pictures and nice setup

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Congrats on the first rig. That's a great combo that'll serve you well.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WBSF, WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba
    Suspension
    W.Slings, Adj.Web
    Put some eye bolts up in the garage today and hung for about 2 hours (might have accidentally fallen asleep). Despite the temp in the garage being about 33* I was quite toasty with the quilts. I also found that if I place my tablet on the ridgeline the bug net holds it in place so I can just lay back and get my netflix on.
    Insanity Happens...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast