Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast
    Images
    Well, better late than never.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...6&d=1465570902

Looking at the image, you will see two large washers at the right hand side of the image where the Eyebolt threaded shaft seats. Two far right washers are Lock-Tite'd toether with Red Lock-Tite, when they have cured for 24-hours, a SST nut is centered and attached with Red Lock-tite.

Now you have two large washers with a nut all held together with Lock-Tite. Two SST Washers were required to withstand that torque compression that I applied, your mileage may differ according to the SST Alloy and quality of your chosen washers...mine were cheap Home Depot varieties.

Your simply drop that into the tube, and using a 5-foot section of aluminum or PVC pipe, you push that assembly to where it seats (look closely at the image and you can see how the tubing necks down).

Simply hold this in place, and invert the Aluminum Pole with the tubing inside, as you place downward pressure on the exterior of the Aluminum Pole, the inner pipe will prevent the washers from moving about as you thread the rest of the Eyebolt shaft into place.

Once you get it torqued down, mark the exterior threads above the left most nut that caps the hole in the silver aluminum insert with a Black Permanent Pen marker.

I use Red Lock-Tite on the threads of the Eyebolt threaded shaft so that when torqued into place, the entire assemble will not come loose.

If you wish to maintain modularity , you can forgoe all Locktite except for the bottom two washers and nut. I did this at first, but finally I just used Lock-Tite to silence the inside-the-head-narrator (I have several to choose from), to quiet the nay-sayers.

It has worked well, and if you use some Dyneema Loops, one can be looped over the eyebolt and the "Aluminum Ridgeline", can be slipped through, with twisting of the Dyneema Loop to insure that there is no slippage.

It has worked will, and makes it very easy to set up.

For instance, if you choose the correct loop length, it becomes easy to slide the loop through all three eyebolts, with the two ends hanging down, the the Aluminum Pole for the "Ridgeline" can in inserted in both ends of the loop, somewhat insuring that no issues entail after that crazy dream about drawing Excaliber and rushing off to Slay the Dragons... when in actuallity it was simply the somewhat krazy Chow-Chow letting me know how much he values his space in the hammock...it was a one dog nite.

https://youtu.be/uAb26yvyEV4?list=RDuAb26yvyEV4
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 02-08-2017 at 15:13.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    There must be a nut. The assembly is partially disassembled prior to installation. The eyebolt, washer and nut on the left are removed, the rest is dropped in the opposite or bottom of the pole, let it all slide to the other end. The washer prevents it from getting passed the squeezed section. Then you rethread the washer, but and eyebolt back into the coupler.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    funny-gif-self-high-five-Liz-Lemon.gif

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Love the "bear hammock" pic

And I love my aluminum military pole hammock stand. Presently I am using parachute cord boy scout lashings for the top and like the bolt/eye bolt idea. I did drill all my sections in a drill press and use clevis or spring pins to lock them together. Great portable set up.

has anyone tried these fiberglass tent poles for their tripod stand?
    https://colemans.com/shop/camping-ge...-used-6-poles/
    Thanks Joe
    Clarke Vertex with Z liners, Hammeck Envy S with Incubator 20*
    Custom Dutch Hammock 12' x 6' Double Hyper D ! My current daily sleep system !
    Custom SLD Tree Runner Double Hexon 12' x 6' Loco Libre 20* set
    SLD Tree Runner 12'

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Time to Hang View Post
    has anyone tried these fiberglass tent poles for their tripod stand?
    https://colemans.com/shop/camping-ge...-used-6-poles/
    Thanks Joe
    The price certainly is far less expensive than the aluminum ones. I have watched the aluminum poles flex quite a bit when I load the hammock, especially when using four pole sections for GE hammocks versus three poles for the Hammocktent Gamma UL and Ergo 90 degree hammocks. The would be heavier than the aluminum poles, but for the price it definitely seems worth trying. You might even be able to combine the two using the fiberglass for the tripod legs and the aluminum for the ridge pole if the fiberglass poles were not strong enough for the ridge pole.

As I recall these were used for camo net supports to cover vehicles, tents, etc. if they are the same they are plenty strong.

I might take the plunge for that price. Are guys using the 4' length aluminum poles put together for the ridge pole?
    Thanks Joe
    SLD Tree Runner 12'

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Time to Hang View Post
    ...Are guys using the 4' length aluminum poles put together for the ridge pole?
    Thanks Joe
    Yes, up to 4 sections for a 16' ridgepole works well.

Many of us used the Grainger Snap Buttons to connect the aluminum poles and I highly recommend it so things can be moved around without a concern for the sections coming apart. If the fiberglass poles are thicker, it may or may not require a taller button (they sell many versions).

Set up a jig to drill all of the poles the same so that they are all interchangeable.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...l=1#post854600

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...l=1#post854544

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Yes, up to 4 sections for a 16' ridgepole works well.

Many of us used the Grainger Snap Buttons to connect the aluminum poles and I highly recommend it so things can be moved around without a concern for the sections coming apart. If the fiberglass poles are thicker, it may or may not require a taller button (they sell many versions).

Set up a jig to drill all of the poles the same so that they are all interchangeable.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...l=1#post854600

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...l=1#post854544
    Thanks for the info !
    Joe
    SLD Tree Runner 12'

Images

Nailed It!

I had scoured the the stand forms and put a plan into action to build a stand in case nature failed to provide adequate support for a proper camping hang. The Turtledog stand was intriguing with such a simple concept to counter act gravity and compressive forces. I also was very familiar with the surplus poles in the days with setting up cammo netting for field exercises in the military. As I read i wanted a simple way to set the poles in a tripod without lashing, trying to explain it to my kids or a partner who is not familiar with lashing could take a while. I ran across a few posts that built a prefab top plate to secure the poles I liked the plate system and decided to go that route. Did a trip with my son and we thoroughly enjoyed the set up. It is modular and by using more poles and plated you can make a whole "Hammock city". I used the ENO Reactor, as it is a double layered hammock and I was able to keep a multimat in place on the underside for insulation.

Thanks Hammock Forum posters for the inspiration! Now to go portable and packable...
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast