Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
    Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.6 Tawny Olive
    Images
    I just picked up a full mast set of the fiberglass poles. I choose to make a tensa style stand but I assume the load forces aren't too different. The set is a little heavy but VERY strong.
    20180725_181927.jpg
    20180814_085412.jpg

》Seabee - I love your plate solution. It not only looks strong and solid but also ship shape and Bristol fashion.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
    I had scoured the the stand forms and put a plan into action to build a stand in case nature failed to provide adequate support for a proper camping hang. The Turtledog stand was intriguing with such a simple concept to counter act gravity and compressive forces. I also was very familiar with the surplus poles in the days with setting up cammo netting for field exercises in the military. As I read i wanted a simple way to set the poles in a tripod without lashing, trying to explain it to my kids or a partner who is not familiar with lashing could take a while. I ran across a few posts that built a prefab top plate to secure the poles I liked the plate system and decided to go that route. Did a trip with my son and we thoroughly enjoyed the set up. It is modular and by using more poles and plated you can make a whole "Hammock city". I used the ENO Reactor, as it is a double layered hammock and I was able to keep a multimat in place on the underside for insulation.

Thanks Hammock Forum posters for the inspiration! Now to go portable and packable...
    Outstanding! That is a great, well thought out layout. Nicely done!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Nice setup and I like the top plates.

However, so that others don't misunderstand the lashing method, you only lash the pole sets once and never undo it until years later when the lashings might need replaced from wear.

Images
    Nailed It!...
    Just revisiting the Military Surplus Aluminum Mast/Netting Stands. One of the best first posts that I have experienced. Nicely done!

Elegant and clean.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech Whoopie

Lightbulb Top Plate Template

I had scoured the the stand forms and put a plan into action to build a stand in case nature failed to provide adequate support for a proper camping hang. The Turtledog stand was intriguing with such a simple concept to counter act gravity and compressive forces. I also was very familiar with the surplus poles in the days with setting up cammo netting for field exercises in the military. As I read i wanted a simple way to set the poles in a tripod without lashing, trying to explain it to my kids or a partner who is not familiar with lashing could take a while. I ran across a few posts that built a prefab top plate to secure the poles I liked the plate system and decided to go that route. Did a trip with my son and we thoroughly enjoyed the set up. It is modular and by using more poles and plated you can make a whole "Hammock city". I used the ENO Reactor, as it is a double layered hammock and I was able to keep a multimat in place on the underside for insulation.

Thanks Hammock Forum posters for the inspiration! Now to go portable and packable...

I'd love to recreate this setup. Anyone have a template for the top plate?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by DiceCaller View Post
    I just picked up a full mast set of the fiberglass poles. I choose to make a tensa style stand but I assume the load forces aren't too different. The set is a little heavy but VERY strong.
    20180725_181927.jpg
    20180814_085412.jpg

》Seabee - I love your plate solution. It not only looks strong and solid but also ship shape and Bristol fashion.

Would you mind posting instructions for how you built this?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    There is Boy Scout lashing that can be used for tripods.
    And there is a simple rope wrap around three poles placed in a certain way. It was used by the plains Indians for their tipis. It had to be fast, simple and repeatable; since they often moved in search of game.
    There are line drawings and directions for this tripod set up in a book:
    The Indian Tipi
    It’s history, construction, and use
    By
    Reginald & Gladys Laubin

Page 45 shows how poles are placed and tied.

This method is about a hundred times faster than Boy Scout method and the Indian way is also a stronger tripod because of way the poles are placed in relation to each other

Two poles are laid side by side touching on the ground. The third pole is laid on top of other two poles at about a 30* angle, crossing near the top ends of poles.
    A rope is tied around all three poles where they all cross. Then the poles are stood up and spread out. Due to initial pole placement and the way they are articulated when standing them up…causes them all three to lock into place.

Further study may be required on your part…
    If you are interested in being able to tie an Indian tripod in a remarkably short period of time.
    Seconds to a minute or two depending on your experience…and wether it’s raining or not!

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I've also used the aluminum camo spreader poles for a stand. The difference is that I only use one pole (two segments) and two guy lines to stakes.

I only carry 4 segments, 4 guy lines 12' long, and 4 rebar stakes about 2' long. That's enough to do a pole at each end.
    Pretty much the more industrial version of the Tensa Solo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839