Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightweight hammock setup

Hi,

I'm complete newbie to hammocks, I never had one.
    (that's a disclaimer to explain why such noob questions)

I want to (try to) switch away from ground system as it's sometimes hard to find good places for ground bivaq (as I usually stop for bivaq when it's already dark), it's often wet, etc.
    Another expected advantage is that hammock would create a shielded space below for the dogs which I take with to the mountains - nice bonus when raining a lot. With ground setup there's not enough space under the tarp for that.

I do some quite fast trekking (~100km in a day and something) and I'm searching for a minimalist hammock setup, to keep weight down even at the expense of some comfort as it's usually only one night at the time.
    I plan to use it in a temperature range of ~5 degrees Celzia and above.
    If it gets too cold, I can skip bivaq.
    It must be lightweight, fast to set up and it must protect against rain.

My choice so far:
    - Exped Scout hammock (150cm wide). I like it "on paper" because of the weight, price and availability in my area.
    - Exped Bivy poncho as a tarp. It's a dual (actually tripple) use - I already use it as a poncho and a bivy sack. I want to avoid carrying extra tarp.
    - Exped Wallcreeper sleeping bag
    - No mat, etc. I plan to use the sleeping bag in a peapod setup.

Do you think that this will work? I'm especially unsure about sleeping bag in a peapod setup as I could not try it out.
    What's the good width of a hammock? Are those 150cm of Exped Scout ok for a lighweight setup?
    Will the Exped Bivy poncho be large enough to use it as a tarp? It's 2,4x1,5m.

Marian

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Welcome!

I'd suggest you attend, or just visit, a group hang event and try as many different setups as possible before you end up buying something. Most folks are quite happy to share their experiences.

With the mileage you traverse, consider not only comfort, but also the total weight in your backpack, and the bulk (when packed).

Darien UL and Grand Trunk Nano 7 are just two lightweight options for the hammock - but may not suit you at all. Everyone is different, size, weight, shape, sleep patterns, etc.

I've not used a peapod setup but it may force you to sleep in-line with the hammock instead of the more comfortable 'angled' approach - that is if the sleeping bag is not sized properly for your hammock.

Several forum members use their ponchos as tarps and many threads exist on that topic. However, wind-blown sideways rain events and flash thunderstorms may leave you with a wet hammock and insulation.

If you're planning a AT trek- maybe watch the videos on youtube made last year by Loner2012AT http://www.youtube.com/user/Loner201...ow=grid&view=0
    He used a GT Nano 7 and a small tarp with an undequilt

HYOH!
    Last edited by Loki; 02-23-2013 at 11:59.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Sorry Marian, I am not familiar with the exped gear. Guess it depends if you want a full coverage (included bugnet) or without. Dream hammocks Darien UL hammock is one of if not the lightest hammocks out there. Other great offerings from Wilderness Logics and BIAS.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Lightweight hammock setup

Am I misreading something, he says 100km a day, isn't that like 62 miles...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    well if you want to get rid of some comfort, forget a hammock with a bugnet. With my experience, bugs are worst at dawn and dusk. If you are going 100km a day, you will be moving most of the time anyways, so they shouldn't be a prob for you. So here is what i suggest:

Hammock: custom length (9ft) buttinasling weight weenie micro no mods your poncho should work as a tarp then.
    sleeping bag: ditch what you got and get a top quilt made from the lightest fabrics possible, custom made for your height any cottage guy can help you out there.
    bottom insulation: use a ccf pad or depending on your temps get an ix underquilt from molly mac gear or a down one from elsewhere. Disclaimer: I would never use a pad, its a comfort item to have an underquilt.

overall disclaimer: Hammock camping will never be as light as any tarp setup at the time regardless of new fabrics that are invented.

Good luck with your quest and welcome to the forums from Guam.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Small clarification... I don't make 100km/day (I wish I could - maybe once)
    I usually cover 80-100km in 24-36h, depending the terrain. Weekend events. Bivaq is usually 3-4 hours, just to regain some energy.

I can't attend group event, I write from Europe.

And thanks for answers!
    Of course it will require some trial and error, but it's better to start with some advices than from zero.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marian View Post
    ..., I write from Europe.

And thanks for answers!
    Of course it will require some trial and error, but it's better to start with some advices than from zero.
    Interesting events you are apparently involved with marian!

We do have some european hangers https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&hl=en#gid=0

Scroll over to column "BA" to see non-US members
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    One of the great things about switching to a hammock will be how fast they are to set up and take down. Also, 3-4 hours hanging in a hammock will be soooo much more restful than an ultra-light ground set-up. Warning: it's very easy to oversleep in a hammock.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    I have my Darien UL set up in the back yard, waiting for an overnight tomorrow. It's amazingly light and compact! I can't imagine anything more "minimal."

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Just looking at the numbers I don't believe that the Poncho is going to work as a tarp for the hammock. You need atleast 3 meters of length and around 2 meters of width for minimum coverage. I'm also concerned that the Wallcreeper SB is not going to be large enough to work as a pod system so you may still need a lightweight thin pad or underquilt to keep you warm from beneath.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast