Hammock
    DD Camping and DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 / DD 3x4.5
    Insulation
    DD underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing + whoopies
    A couple of events come to mind, which is pretty impressive bearing in mind that here in the UK the most dangerous thing is perhaps wasp. When I was in my mid-teens I was camped out on the bank of a lake night fishing when I heard something approaching me from behind through the leaf litter. Wasn't sure if it was my friend winding me up or a crazed axe murderer. I waited until it was just a few feet away and then I spun around and clicked my torch on. There was nothing there, which totally freaked me out for a good few seconds. Further investigation revealed a hedgehog nosing its way through the leaf litter. In the same trip I had a mouse run up my trouser leg, which made be do an interesting impromptu dance. Last year I had a fox scream not twenty yards from my hammock right out of the blue - he/she hadn't called from further off before that. Don't know what yours sound like on your side of the pond, but ours sound like a bloodcurdling teenage girl's scream. I knew exactly what it was, but it took precious and long seconds for realisation to dawn on me. Thankfully I had brought spare underpants.
    strikealight

LNT obsessive across life generally. "Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." (C S Lewis)

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    About a month ago my wife tried a hammock outdoors for the first time. I set up with 15’ of her hammock. This is in a nice hiking area, boreal forest setting. She wanted me to listen and watch out for her. Needless to say I did and got a crappy sleep. However the scary part for her was waking (partially) at 2 am hearing (in her words) ‘a clopping like hoofs and whining sound’ she’s freaking out but too scared to cry out. So she whispers ‘James...?’ Not loud enough to be heard really. Basically some demon animal. She said it took 1/2 hr to calm down and realize that it was dirt and leaves under her so it couldn’t be a hooved demon. My story: I woke up to a noise at 2am. We were close enough to the highway to hear a semi truck/trailer which must have blown a tire and not noticed it. Clop, clop, clop... you get the idea. Didn’t hear anything else and went back to sleep (mostly). Told her in the morning to be louder really freaked her out.

Scariest Moment in the Woods?

Last weekend did a pretty strenuous hike. It was around dusk and had saw quite a bit of bear scat closer to the trail and fresher than I wanted it to be.

As I am walking it is really quiet, like eerie quiet. As we walk along I spook something that made a large noice off to my right maybe a 100 feet. Zip around and there was a black bear. Stood up tall raised my hiking poles and started making racket. That bear and I locked eyes for what seemed like an eternity (maybe 5 sec).

I snorted or something and I probably made some sort of noise. He moved on and I waited and started slowly moving along the trail.

I was skittish the rest of the hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    modified ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    HG 40, DIY TQ/UQ
    I had to come back (i originally posted as MrsKD-no longer have access to the email on that account) and add last month's scary moment.

I have hiked and backpacked solo for years and never thought anything of it. I mean OTHER people get hurt on the trails or people on facebook trying to incite fear. What are the chances? My mindset changed really quickly when I was moving along at my normal, rather rapid pace when the next thing I know, I'm on my back, my head pounding and the trail about 10-12 feet above me. I had hit a slick rock and pitched right over the ledge to the somewhat rocky creek bank. My first thought was, "Oh God, where is my dog?" I am amazed that he survived being clipped to my pack like he was (he weighs 8lbs on a fat day). Thankfully, other than a myriad of bruises and joints that I KNEW we were going to be achy, all was well.

It was a jarring wakeup call that I am not invincible and that something really could happen out there. I wouldn't say I was cocky or a massive risk taker before but, it definitely cooled my jets when it comes running off without letting anyone know I'm out in the woods or leaving the phone off. I will say this though, my hammock was such a relief that night. Could not imagine laying on the hard ground as sore as I was.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok Tarp
    Insulation
    TR Basecamp AF LW
    Suspension
    Amok system
    My scariest moment just happened on my last trip to Ellicott Rock Wilderness. This was just after Hurricane Irma passed through the area and there was a ton of trees still down and the trail (Chattooga River Trail) was in pretty poor shape in several sections. There were several water crossings on this hike including a few times where the trail passed across areas of slippery rocks and moving water coming down the mountain. I hit one of these crossings around mile 8 and even though I mentally told myself to be careful I slipped and fell hard and felt instantaneous pain in my left wrist and right ankle (which has been broken before). Initially I could not move either joint and feared the worst. I sat where I fell, getting soaking wet, and wondering just what the heck I'd gotten myself into. Thankfully, as the pain eased I realized that nothing had been broken. It was a very scary fifteen minutes though as I tried to figure out how to get out of the water and get set up to be able to sleep warm with one arm and one leg...easily my scariest moment thus far.

Zombie Slug...

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban W/ Doors
    Insulation
    CRO UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I have gotten used to most nighttime animal noises. I have had my fair share of wee hour deer snorts, fox moans, coyote howls, and what not. But one night I was hiking solo down a creek valley well after sunset when I heard a crashing noise coming down the hill towards me. It was coming so fast I didn't have time for flight so I went straight into fight mode. I dropped down to one knee and braced myself and pointed my headlamp in the general direction of the "heavy" footfalls coming straight for me and all I could make out was a pair of glowing eyes coming fast. Within a few seconds I was "ferociously" attacked with a cold snorting nose of a 20 to 25 pound hunting beagle. After he sniffed me for awhile and got a few pats, rubs, and scratches behind the ear, he went on up the other side of the Valley to never be seen again. Rest of the night was uneventful.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Quote Originally Posted by strikealight View Post
    A couple of events come to mind, which is pretty impressive bearing in mind that here in the UK the most dangerous thing is perhaps wasp. When I was in my mid-teens I was camped out on the bank of a lake night fishing when I heard something approaching me from behind through the leaf litter. Wasn't sure if it was my friend winding me up or a crazed axe murderer. I waited until it was just a few feet away and then I spun around and clicked my torch on. There was nothing there, which totally freaked me out for a good few seconds. Further investigation revealed a hedgehog nosing its way through the leaf litter. In the same trip I had a mouse run up my trouser leg, which made be do an interesting impromptu dance. Last year I had a fox scream not twenty yards from my hammock right out of the blue - he/she hadn't called from further off before that. Don't know what yours sound like on your side of the pond, but ours sound like a bloodcurdling teenage girl's scream. I knew exactly what it was, but it took precious and long seconds for realisation to dawn on me. Thankfully I had brought spare underpants.
    Our foxes here in Maine USA are the same as yours. Ours are nice enough to warn us before they screech as you explained so well. Lol!

Probably my daughter's scariest moment was a month ago when she was out back alone and while she was settling into her hammock something arrived about 6' from her hammock and growled. It left and went down the driveway (we have an alarm there) and came back and growled again. Did that for or five times! She was totally freaked out but didn't want to move. Next time she is taking a two way radio with her and I'll have one inside if I'm not out with her. Daddy will come running and we'll armed!

Sent from a furniture shop in Maine
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG CF Std
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ/Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie1999 View Post
    I have gotten used to most nighttime animal noises. I have had my fair share of wee hour deer snorts, fox moans, coyote howls, and what not. But one night I was hiking solo down a creek valley well after sunset when I heard a crashing noise coming down the hill towards me. It was coming so fast I didn't have time for flight so I went straight into fight mode. I dropped down to one knee and braced myself and pointed my headlamp in the general direction of the "heavy" footfalls coming straight for me and all I could make out was a pair of glowing eyes coming fast. Within a few seconds I was "ferociously" attacked with a cold snorting nose of a 20 to 25 pound hunting beagle. After he sniffed me for awhile and got a few pats, rubs, and scratches behind the ear, he went on up the other side of the Valley to never be seen again. Rest of the night was uneventful.
    Is this the culprit? Call sign "Sparky.

20170522_104929.jpg

Hammock
    Grand trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Mule Tape & 'biner
    I've heard coyotes on almost every trip at night but rarely seen them up close. I had a coon come into camp one night and scurry up a tree & onto a branch with a ziplock bag of shell peanuts. We finally knocked them out of his hands with a rock after he finished about half of them off.

I heard something in the wee hours of the morning snort and sniff outside my tent in the Adirondacks alongside West Canada Creek. The next morning there were no footprints around me in the sandy soil. There was a deer rub about 20 yard away.

But my scariest encounter was in the Adirondacks on the way back on the T-Lake trail. I came around a corner and heard a rustling then saw some time of bird lunge at me with outstretched wings. I was so startled I turned tail and ran the other way. Whatever it was, it was huge with a massive wingspan. We waited, then continued back and it was gone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast