Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Working on design
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Some years ago (early 80's) I was camping solo outside of Skowhegan, Maine. Must have been late spring. Anyway, the first morning I get up out of the tent, and the fog is so thick that I can't see past my guy lines. I take a few steps and start watering the ground; nothing unusual, until I stop - but the sound doesn't! I'm still groggy, so it doesn't register in my brain immediately. As my eyes try to focus, a fuzzy outline in the fog becomes clearer - there's a moose perhaps 20 feet from me watering the ground as well! Once I saw the size of his rack (and how high above my head it was), I just backed right up into the tent again. He spent another 15 minutes right there, munching on leaves, before he wandered off.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cuben fiber
    Suspension
    whoppie slings/MSH
    Once when hiking in Shenandoah National Park I walked past a tree and heard a loud crack, then a black bear and the branch he was on landed about 5 ft. away from me. I think he just had gone too far out on the limb, maybe because he heard me walking by the tree. He looked at me, and I looked at him, then we both sprinted away in opposite directions.

Hammock
    Dutchware, DD Frontier, TTTM
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    straps + whoopie
    Images
    I'm waking up from an afternoon nap in Provence (Southern France) and I can hear Death squeaking at me, then I see it looking at me with interest.

What happened was that the mum probably got scared away by my loud snoring but this little guy saw my hammock as one huge belly full of milk and asked for more.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird or Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Homemade 12'
    Insulation
    EE / Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Google "Mountain Lion Mating Call". Now imagine that coming out of nowhere 10-15 yards away in the middle of the night. Scared the ever living #$&+ out of me.

Hammock
    WBRR,Dutch 11' -wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly, SLD WiH
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix, pads
    Suspension
    web various cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by otter View Post
    Everytime it gets DARK!!
    This one made me burst out an instant belly laugh. Excellent!

Hammock
    cheap-o Chi right now
    Tarp
    Re-claimed junk.
    Insulation
    synthetic
    Suspension
    spectra + seatbelt
    Bear encounters. Springtime in Yellowstone is a stupid idea. Place is full of bears and they are all out looking for food in the spring. We had two cans of bear spray and use both over three days.
    Mickey Mouse is a false prophet.
    Reno Original Marauder

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7SL
    Tarp
    WB Edge/wasps
    Insulation
    All Hammockgear
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/webbing
    The only one I actually remember is when a few friends and I were surrounded on three sides by coyotes. These particular friends don't backpack so it was a car camping trip in late fall in a state forest a few hours from home. One night, after eating and having drinks we decided to take the forest service road out of the back of our site to see if we could find a good place to look at the stars. Me, only armed with a gallon jug of jack and coke and a flashlight, and everyone else with whatever they had available mainly because they are the paranoid type when outdoors.

We go probably a half mile back along this road and come across a large meadow. I take note of all the grass that is matted down at the entrance and the obvious game trails going back through the meadow and mention that something probably lives there. Everyone chuckled and said "eh, whatever. We'll be fine." After the jug went around a few times we heard a strange noise to our right that sounded, we'd guess, maybe 50 yards away. We all looked at each other and one person said "that's weird, what is that?". We heard the same noise again and right after that an answer from right behind us, near the entrance of the meadow which was maybe 15 yards back and a third answer from inside the meadow in front of us. Needless to say, we hightailed it out of there and back to camp where we turned the lanterns up and got the fire raging.

After we got home I looked up what coyotes sound like and found that yes, they do make those noises and yes, they do live in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Could it have been an owl call? I've heard something similar over here and got told it might have been a Tengalms or Short Eared owl ..

http://www.owlpages.com/sounds.php
    Screech owls sound like a woman screaming bloody murder. If you get close enough you can hear it end with a really faint "hoo" like a normal owl.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Google "Mountain Lion Mating Call". Now imagine that coming out of nowhere 10-15 yards away in the middle of the night. Scared the ever living #$&+ out of me.
    Used to live in Colorado and had one live on the ridge behind my house I know this sound well. It would wake you up in a house I can see the hammock being a little chilling
    In the shadows

Definitely had a group of us backpackers startled awake in the middle of the night thanks to a screech owl set up in a tree right near us that decided to call about 3am. I never shot up so fast in my tent before and it seemed like ages until I could fall back asleep. Next morning, that was all we could talk about.

Two months ago it just got dark and about 50 feet away we hear this low screech start up and realize a screech owl was nested right near our hammocks. Thankfully he opted to vacate the area and do his calls elsewhere in the woods. That was a creepy low, slow screech. Gave you the chills.

• + New Posts
  • Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast