Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Need help for indoor hammock

I apologize in advance if my english won't be perfect: I'm from Italy and I never use it in conversations.

I suffer from back pain when I wake up, and as soon as I realized I could use a hammock instead of a bed, I immediately searched for info.
    After some digging, now I'm convinced that it'll be good for my health, so I want to buy one. The fact that it's incredibly cool doesn't hurt either

Before I make the purchase I need some reassurances from someone who's been there, done that.

1 - I've set my sights on this hammock: http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog...ammock-5p2.htm
    From what I've read on the internet, it seems pretty good quality, not much expensive, and it's very light too, apparently, which can come in handy.
    However, I've seen that it's 10ft long, and the distance between the walls I want to put it is roughly 11 feet.
    Even taking into consideration that it won't hang stretched out, I still have doubts: is it enough space?

2 - The hammock can support up to 400lbs, and even though I don't weight even near that much, I'd like to have the possibility to use all of its potential. The walls are sturdy enough too, so I don't worry about that.
    My question is: what should I use to hang it to my walls?

3 - Some time ago I found a video with a guy checking for cables in the wall with some kind of beeping device. Do you know what's it called? I'd like to make sure of that too before going ahead with it!

4 - Underquilt. Will I need it? Here in Rome the temperature rarely ever goes under 0°C, or 32F, and I was thinking of using a duvet, or a bed quilt. Wouldn't they be enough?

That's all the questions I have.
    I hope you'll answer, because I wouldn't know where else to seek for advice!

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Welcome to the forum! I recently made two indoor hammocks, maybe I can help. I am not familiar with the hammock you mentioned, but I think it should work fine.
    1. Yes, it is enough space. Because of the slack when hanging the hammock, you actually need about 80% of the length, plus the length of your suspension. I hung mine at a slight angle in the room to gain more length (not straight across from one wall to the other).
    2. I built bookshelves from oak 1x4s, anchored them to the wall with lag bolts (into the wall studs) then mounted D-rings on the bookshelves with short lag bolts.
    3. Electronic stud-finder http://www.amazon.com/Zircon-StudSen.../dp/B002R5AV82
    4. Depends on temp in your room. Under about 50F you will probably need an underquilt or pad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duffy; 05-08-2013 at 06:57.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I recently made two indoor hammocks, maybe I can help. I am not familiar with the hammock you mentioned, but I think it should work fine.
    1. Yes, it is enough space. Because of the slack when hanging the hammock, you actually need about 80% of the length, plus the length of your suspension. I hung mine at a slight angle in the room to gain more length (not straight across from one wall to the other).
    2. I built bookshelves from oak 1x4s, anchored them to the wall with lag bolts (into the wall studs) then mounted D-rings on the bookshelves with short lag bolts.
    3. Electronic stud-finder http://www.amazon.com/Zircon-StudSen.../dp/B002R5AV82
    4. Depends on temp in your room. Under about 50F you will probably need an underquilt or pad.
    Thank you for the reply!
    1 - That's great news!
    2 - That's a nice setup you've got there, too bad I coldn't do it the same way: I have to attach the bolts in a space between two wardrobes, and there's about 9 inches of space between them, so I'd need to attach the bolts directly into the walls - no space to build a library like yours. I mean it could fit if it was half the size, but it would be hell to put it there in such a tight space, wouldn't it?
    What setup would you recommend for my situation? I'd need specifics because honestly I've never done anything like this, and I have no idea how these things work.
    3 - Thanks again! Now I just have to figure out how it's called in italian: I'd spend more for shipping than for the product itself if I ordered it from Amazon, so I'd prefer to buy it in a hardware store. Still, at least now I have a pic I can show them
    4 - Wouldn't a normal heavy cover or duvet do the same job if I put it under me? Or there's something particular about quilts that I'm missing?

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bungle View Post
    I have to attach the bolts in a space between two wardrobes, and there's about 9 inches of space between them, so I'd need to attach the bolts directly into the walls - ...
    What setup would you recommend for my situation?

Wouldn't a normal heavy cover or duvet do the same job if I put it under me? Or there's something particular about quilts that I'm missing?
    I can't really recommend any particular setup without seeing your situation..maybe you know a carpenter or handyman that can take a look? I know there is a way to do this!

A heavy cover or duvet will work to a point, but the compression (by your weight) will limit how much it will insulate. Underquilts hang below the hammock, so they are not compressed. You may be fine with a duvet, depending on the temp in your room, and your personal preference.

Good luck, and let us know how what you come up with!

-Duffy
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have to attach the bolts in a space between two wardrobes, and there's about 9 inches of space between them, so I'd need to attach the bolts directly into the walls - no space to build a library like yours.
    When you say wardrobe I'm assuming this is a free standing cabinet. If that is the case you could just put a board on the wall extending behind them. If they are closets you may have an issue. Either way you really need to have something that ties at LEAST two studs together, preferably 3, then attach your hammock to that. You never know if the carpenter who nailed that stud was out drinking the night before and may have only put one nail in it or completely missed it all together.
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    A heavy cover or duvet will work to a point, but the compression (by your weight) will limit how much it will insulate. Underquilts hang below the hammock, so they are not compressed.
    Easy work-around to that problem; suspend the duvet/comforter. Wouldn't be tough at all to make the modification for a home setup.
    1 - I've set my sights on this hammock: http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog...ammock-5p2.htm
    I'm a fan of TrekLight hammocks. Doesn't hurt that the owner is a nice guy that doesn't live that far from me. Of all the hammocks I have, my girlfriend picks a TrekLight 99 times out of a 100. Great hammocks! Still, for an indoor rig that you are going to be sleeping in nightly, I'd suggest something in cotton. You'll get much more warmth from it and probably won't need an underquilt at all during the warm months. I can't give you my standard suggestion of a large Brazilian because the sizes I like take about 12' of span to hang. However, there are some smaller Brazilians that are still very nice. Here is one: Tropical Day. It will also hold up to 450lbs so you should be able "to use all of its potential".

Its overall length is just a bit over 12', so it should hang pretty easily in your space. I have one and like it OK, but I'm comparing it to hammocks that are 14'+ in overall length, so it isn't a real fair comparison. Still, I'd rather lay on cotton long-term than nylon or polyester. Just my thoughts. Good luck and congrats whichever way you decide to go.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Have you considered a hammock stand instead of hanging from the walls?
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    The need for insulation under you is dependent on what your hammock is made from. In my lighter weight nylon one I get cold with air moving under me in the mid 60's. However with my heavy weight furniture fabric one, I'm comfortable well down into the 50's.

On the subject of attaching to the wall, your odds of having a suitable anchor in the 9 inches of space is very low. If the wall is concrete you'll be good, but if it is a stud with plaster or drywall you'll have to get creative. Walls are designed to withstand forces from above, not from the side If it is a non-loadbearing wall, as most interior wall are, it is only designed to be a physical/visual barrier. All that to say that if you only anchor to one stud you odds of suddenly finding yourself on the floor in the middle of the night with a big hole in the wall are pretty good.

To get an idea for the forces involved and dimensions of things check out the Hammock Hang Calculator.

Have you considered a hammock stand instead of hanging from the walls?
    I did. Funnily enough, this whole search started when I came to know of the existence of hammock stands (somehow, I didn't consider using the walls!).

I want to try with the walls though. For one, it takes less space (and I don't have a lot of space), and I also think it's cooler

However with my heavy weight furniture fabric one, I'm comfortable well down into the 50's.
    What do you mean by heavy weight furniture fabric?

Also, I think for the quilt I guess I'll just buy it later if I need it. I should be able to find it in normal camping shops too.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    When you say wardrobe I'm assuming this is a free standing cabinet. If that is the case you could just put a board on the wall extending behind them. If they are closets you may have an issue. Either way you really need to have something that ties at LEAST two studs together, preferably 3, then attach your hammock to that.
    Yes, they're big closets, and would be a huge pain to move. However, my walls are made of concrete, so I can attach it wherever I like without fear that it will come crashing down!
    My issue with the closets is that there isn't much space between them, so I think I'd likely be attaching just one, two bolt max. Wouldn't it be enough to support the weight?

What I'd need is the specifics of what kind of bolt I should look for!

Still, for an indoor rig that you are going to be sleeping in nightly, I'd suggest something in cotton. You'll get much more warmth from it and probably won't need an underquilt at all during the warm months. I can't give you my standard suggestion of a large Brazilian because the sizes I like take about 12' of span to hang. However, there are some smaller Brazilians that are still very nice. Here is one: Tropical Day.
    Yeah I actually thought about the material, and if it was the best choice for my situation. I guess I'll go cotton then, thanks for the advice.

I'd need a site that ships from some point in europe though, or I could pay a lot of taxes, do you know one?
    Also I'm a little worried about buying a 12' hammock, are you sure it'd fit in 11'? I thought it would be a stretch with a 10' one!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'd need a site that ships from some point in europe though, or I could pay a lot of taxes, do you know one?
    I don't, but there has to be someplace over there importing hammocks. Wish I could help.
    Also I'm a little worried about buying a 12' hammock, are you sure it'd fit in 11'? I thought it would be a stretch with a 10' one!
    Gotta remember the sag of the hammock. The hammocks we use at home are all 14'+ long and our anchor points are just a hair over or under (don't remember exactly) 12'. I don't think it will be any issue at all hanging one that is 12' in an 11' room once you account for the final "U" shape of the hanging hammock.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast