Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Ive had all night and yesterday to think about it. The coon believed the call was real ,it took off like its tail was on fire,running down the shore line in plain sight of the other side of the lake. The roar seemed very confrontational,almost as if it had been watching the racoon also,or was voicing ownership of the area in reply to the call. I dont know really this has been a new experience for me. I found mountain lion tracks in a stream bed a few years back,before their presence was publicly proclaimed by the news, after some hunters killed one a few miles from my home.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by jokerr View Post
    Please tell me you were no where near quivre river state park!
    North east missouri ,thousand hills state park.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Stay out of the woods.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    I would be a liar if i said that thought didnt run through my mind all night.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    The question in my mind now is. If there is one then maybe the call that came from the distance ,and seemed to cover ground so well ,was really a second call from another bear.

"There's a Squatch in them woods". Shouldn't it be "... them thar woods."?

A couple of years ago I was hanging in a remote area in Mississippi. I was awakened in the middle of the night by the strangest noises I've ever heard! It sounded like monkeys or more specifically chimpanzees! You know like you hear on Nat Geo! Very creepy! Whatever was making the noises moved rapidly thru the woods from my left to right and finally faded away!
    When I got home I went online & googled every known animal native to that area. I finally determined the sounds were being made by -- owls! Now I've heard owls before but that was a first for me! Evidently they don't just hoot but have a wide range of vocalizations!
    I'm just saying that most species communicate in a variety of ways! Many of which we may not always be familiar!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    A couple of years ago I was hanging in a remote area in Mississippi. I was awakened in the middle of the night by the strangest noises I've ever heard! It sounded like monkeys or more specifically chimpanzees! You know like you hear on Nat Geo! Very creepy! Whatever was making the noises moved rapidly thru the woods from my left to right and finally faded away!
    When I got home I went online & googled every known animal native to that area. I finally determined the sounds were being made by -- owls! Now I've heard owls before but that was a first for me! Evidently they don't just hoot but have a wide range of vocalizations!
    I'm just saying that most species communicate in a variety of ways! Many of which we may not always be familiar!
    You are correct. The bard owl makes a cackling call like that of monkeys. It is really loud and ape like in nature. I don't believe in the squatch nor will I ever. Squatch; nope it's a bird you crazies get over it.

As to what the op heard, bear, mtlion, deer, elk, or maybe even a bird. But due to the dogs reaction, probably the cat. Careful out there. Anywhere you find "game" animals you can find things that will eat them...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    hh safari
    Tarp
    hh hex 1.3
    Insulation
    jacks nest
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    Noise in the night will really mess with you. Last year in April on the AT in GA a turkey flew into my suspension during the night. You can only imagine the things that went threw my mind.

Hammock
    My Modded TW hammock
    Tarp
    Alpkit
    Insulation
    UK custom 75% UQ.
    Suspension
    Erm. . Custom.
    Scary. Can anyone tell me what animal sounds like small children trying to talk. . But with a kind of drawn out 'speech?' Of course, I couldnt make out any words (no way it was human). Its been a mystery to me for years. In cold light of day I considered it might be a group of pole cats, or fox but the sounds did not match - can't find any animal that makes these sounds. Sorry to ramble off the thread topic. . But I've every bit of empathy for the heebeejeebies you must have had!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast