Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Silk would be soooo nice

I have seen in several places people use silk for liners and such. I did a search for silk by the yard and was floored by the amount of differant silks. Anyone have any idea exactly what silk would be best for outdoor kinda stuff? Pillowcase, Liners that sort.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Tagged in curiosity... Might be cheaper to buy like a silk sleeping bag liner and then cut it into what you want...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Tagged in curiosity... Might be cheaper to buy like a silk sleeping bag liner and then cut it into what you want...

Initially, I was thinking the same. Then I considered all the really great stuff I have bought from cottage vendors on this site...I'd like to see where this goes

Good luck

Images
    I got mine from an ebay store. Great to deal with, just watch, the mummy liners are a bit snug. I'm 6' 180lbs, and it's a bit too snug for me. Although the regular size is great. They pack small enough I leave it full time in my hammock pocket (in the bmbh), so I can pull it out easily when needed. They're great for when it's too hot for a tq, and they add a bit of warmth on those cold nights.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    LIKEY LIKEY THAT ONE!!!! I may have to pick me up one of those for hot summer nights... Sure packs down small enough... Wish the stuff sack was attached, but that's nothing 10 minutes with the singer can't fix...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Purple Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Also interested in this one. Lots of silk here in India but don't know what the grades are called and how much is too much to spend. If I'm spending American prices I know I'm being hoodwinked

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Probably not exactly what you were thinking, but just a thought:

Head to your local department/retail store of choice. Locate the Bedding dept and scope out Full or Twin size satin flat sheets. Purchase your favorite color/pattern. Fold over lengthwise and hem the foot, and one long side ... voila ... sleeping bag liner.

You might need to trim a little off the top or bottom as most twin/full sheets run about 96 inches in length.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I bought the 94" x 46" size of this from Cocoon:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DX5NUK/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

The larger size is a bit roomier to use as a liner bag - and can easily be used as a top sheet during summer nights.

None of these liners are cheap - I'll be interested to see what you come up with as a D-I-Y solution.

Hammock
    DIY bridge+10 0thers
    Tarp
    HH Hex + DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ/U Q + DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Cinch Bu
    Quote Originally Posted by Tr1ppler View Post
    Also interested in this one. Lots of silk here in India but don't know what the grades are called and how much is too much to spend. If I'm spending American prices I know I'm being hoodwinked
    As I remember back in the early days of Hammock camping and development here in the states, there was a man in the southeastern portion of the country who was building his hammocks out of silk. Supposedly very strong and comfortable. May have been on the old Speer hammocks Yahoo group. (Hammock Camping) As I was researching it did not seem to be all that outlandish in price if purchased from bulk suppliers, especially when compared to some of the modern high tech fabrics. Silk is available in many different weights, weaves and finishes, is very strong and generally light. I guess I need to do some more research about availability and pricing and give it a try.

Images
    This is what they have written in the ebay store's page...

Although the label specifies 100% silk, it is a silk fabric using high quality synthetic fibers so it has silk satiny for softness as well as synthetic fibers for durability. 0 % POLYESTER = Much more comfortable sleep than FAUX SILK SATIN FABRICS (weight doesn't tell all, we are manufacturers and apply export standards and use the highest quality material).

We have tested several fabrics and this one is the best for backpackers: compact, light, strong, easy wash, fast drying

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast