Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes 2 track

Cool Perplexed on choosing under system

This may be a bit redundant, but I have read a lot of threads and am still confused about what system to get to keep warm in 3 season canoe camping down to 20 degrees. I have gotten stuck during early October in some pretty unpredicted frigid temps and snow in Canada while using a tent and it wasn't pleasant being cold.

When I ordered by HH Explorer, I wasn't sure what direction to take for an undercover and warmth. There seems to be two directions am considering, but don't want to make a mistake. In the recent - 27 degree trip that Shug and Kurt took, they each had their own method of staying warm. Kurt used the HH super shelter with stock pad, space blanket and added some additional material under the pad. Shug used down underquilts which can get expensive, but might be worth it to keep warm. I have good warm layer clothing with a Wiggy zero degree bag, Big Agnes -25 degree sleeping pad, CCF pad, and sleep cold and not overly concerned with weight as I canoe camp.
    What are the pros and cons of each? It seems as though the underquilt method is more compact.
    Tony

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

system to use

I have been in the very same situation. I also have a HH but the ulbp. I did't have the $$ for the undercover or any insulation last year when I purchased the hammock.
    Last year on my section hike on the A.T. I carried my ridgecrest foam pad and placed it inside the sleeping bag to prevent me from chasing it all over the inside the hammock. Temps ranged from the low 20s the first night which I did pretty good with. Woke somewhat cold and curled up in fetal postion to stay warm. After that the temps were above 30 each night which proved dificult due to condesation on the mat from my sweating body. I then moved it to the outside of the bag which made me do as I say chase pad. Other than that it wasn't bad but not what I would call comfortable.

Since then I have read this forum till my eyes bleed. I didn't care for the $$ of the down not to mention the risk of it getting wet. But I really liked the weight and compact issue.
    The supershelter from Hennessey is what I ended up buying. I went with it after reading reviews from here, watching a few u tube videos, and during Christmas I got a Scout hammokc at no charge
    Last night I did the first of the cold weather tests 27*to start and dropped to aorund 18* or 19*. I wrapped the emergency blanket around the pad and duct taped it all together. It is a bit cumbersome putting together but I liked it. It kept me real warm till it droped below 19* then I had to pull on my down jacket. Slept in lt weight thrermals and med weight thermal on top of that. with wool socks on the feet. I also used my brand new Ray Way quilt that my wife sewed for Christmas.
    It does not pack real small. the pad adds one more bag about the size of a water bottle to the pack. I have the hex fly on top.

Overall I am pleased with my purchase and look forward to the spring section of North Carolina and the Smokys.

BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Images
    from what i understand, the wiggy bags are somewhat bulky due to their use of solid filament (as opposed to hollow) polyester, depending on how bulky/uncompressible it is, you'll likely get "some" noticeable bottom insulation from it if you use it as a traditional bag (as opposed to using as a tq) especially considering it's low rating.

you're camping in a canoe, and i suspect that if you've got room for a bulkier sleeping bag, you've got room for a nice wide piece of ccf (like 28"-30" for me 5'10" 160#)

you've got a pad, if it's good enough for those temps, then just start there and see how you like it.

as far as the other 2 options go, a much higher majority of hh users here on hf opt for uq's instead of the hhss, but there are those who like them and do well with them. sounds like your talking about temps pushing the hhss's lower range though. many use a quilt and a pad at those temps.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    I have been in the very same situation. I also have a HH but the ulbp. I did't have the $$ for the undercover or any insulation last year when I purchased the hammock.
    Last year on my section hike on the A.T. I carried my ridgecrest foam pad and placed it inside the sleeping bag to prevent me from chasing it all over the inside the hammock. Temps ranged from the low 20s the first night which I did pretty good with. Woke somewhat cold and curled up in fetal postion to stay warm. After that the temps were above 30 each night which proved dificult due to condesation on the mat from my sweating body. I then moved it to the outside of the bag which made me do as I say chase pad. Other than that it wasn't bad but not what I would call comfortable.

Since then I have read this forum till my eyes bleed. I didn't care for the $$ of the down not to mention the risk of it getting wet. But I really liked the weight and compact issue.
    The supershelter from Hennessey is what I ended up buying. I went with it after reading reviews from here, watching a few u tube videos, and during Christmas I got a Scout hammokc at no charge
    Last night I did the first of the cold weather tests 27*to start and dropped to aorund 18* or 19*. I wrapped the emergency blanket around the pad and duct taped it all together. It is a bit cumbersome putting together but I liked it. It kept me real warm till it droped below 19* then I had to pull on my down jacket. Slept in lt weight thrermals and med weight thermal on top of that. with wool socks on the feet. I also used my brand new Ray Way quilt that my wife sewed for Christmas.
    It does not pack real small. the pad adds one more bag about the size of a water bottle to the pack. I have the hex fly on top.

Overall I am pleased with my purchase and look forward to the spring section of North Carolina and the Smokys.

BEAS
    Sounds like you did pretty good for you first night in a SS! When you finally got cold, could you tell if it was on top or bottom? If on bottom I wonder if you might have done well with that jacket between the UC and pad?

That sounds like a good idea with the duct tape. I have thought of doing that and cutting a hole in the heat sheet SB for the pad side pull outs to go through. But I don't know if that would make the Heat Sheet more tear prone. I think it did when I cut a WM SB to shape one time.

So TonyF, here is one other option for you (the HHSS), especially if cost is a consideration and you don't want to do pads in a Speer SPE. But you may need to add more ( clothing, Garlington insulators, etc) down in the under cover than Beas if you are a super cold sleeper.

If cost is not an option, a JRB Mt.Washington will probably keep you toasty ( rated 0-10*F) at 20-30*F. Or a Speer Snugfit. Though only rated to 30*F, I suspect that is a real conservative rating and you could probably get at least another 10*F out of it by adding a vapor barrier/space blanket.

If you get a zipper option the after market, that will give you some more great options like Warbonnet torso UQs or even a Speer PeaPod. Enjoy your adventure!

• + New Posts