Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm old, but new here. My sole experience with hammocks is using them in a little fracas we had in South East Asia almost 40 years ago. They worked great to keep bugs, leaches and snakes out of your bed, but the problem then was mostly keeping dry and cool...not warm.

I plan to be a hanger on motorcycle trips and canoe trips, mostly on the right coast...maybe into Canada some too. This will be mostly April thru November so we're not talking real cold weather for the most part. Weight is not a factor in equipment selection...within reason since I won't be carrying it far from the bike or canoe.

I just ordered a HH Safari Deluxe which I have not recieved yet and am wondering if I can use a twin size down quilt folded in half as an undercover? I'm not sure what I might need to keep it in place yet, but the size I saw in SPortsman's Guide was 58" wide so I'm thinking it will work folded in half. Maybe a full size would give more down on the job, but I'm concerned about keeping it in place. At this point I am very ill informed, but reading here seems to be the answer to many of my questions. Hopefully, it will come together when I the hammock and play with it.

I almost bought the HH super shelter, but was confused about how it works, so I guess once I get the hammock, I can figure out if I need it or can use another method of keeping my butt warm.

I am still confused about this idea of laying on a diagonal and how that will work with the undercover/quilt....maybe that will shake out when I get the hammock and play with it a bit.

You folks have great forum here and thanks for having me!!

Joe
    Hey Lowrider....
    Just went backpacking with a HH hammock hanger. Here is a video of a recent trip and Kurt the Hennessy guy explains what is in his Super Shelter. I know he had SS, foil survival blanket, the pad with the SS, and one night put in a 30º down sleeping bag spread out.
    Here is the video .... HH scene about halfway through at 6:02 :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnoo4BPe2eo
    You'll figure out a system ... it just takes some practice ... but that is the fun part.
    I second RedHats comments!
    All secure in sector seven,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post
    ...I'm also a 100,000+ Beemer rider...
    How about that!

I've had a 1973 R75/5 for 23 years... was hoping to meet some hangers who ride at Mt. Rogers. (the airhead is staying home)
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    Hey SHug!!

I gotta tell ya that brings back old memories of cross country skiing in AK, but we had couple shelters made from the steel dome tops of grain silos and a wood stove inside. Best part was the bears had to work real hard to get to our bacon!! 40 below outside and just about freezing inside, but it sure wasn't in a hammock!! Hat's off to you guys!!!

I'm told the SS won't work with the deluxe I ordered...haffta build my own I guess. I'm a little soft the older I get so I probably won't be out in weather much below where water get hard.

I just watched you video again and now I need to go sit next to the wood stove for a bit. HOW ABOUT THEM STEELERS!!!!

Stay WARM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Hey Lowrider....
    Just went backpacking with a HH hammock hanger. Here is a video of a recent trip and Kurt the Hennessy guy explains what is in his Super Shelter. I know he had SS, foil survival blanket, the pad with the SS, and one night put in a 30º down sleeping bag spread out.
    Here is the video .... HH scene about halfway through at 6:02 :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnoo4BPe2eo
    You'll figure out a system ... it just takes some practice ... but that is the fun part.
    I second RedHats comments!
    All secure in sector seven,
    Shug

Hammock
    RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    The Safari Deluxe arrived this PM...just came in from playing with it...30 degrees and dark so I didn't learn much except the hole in the bottom that you crawl into works great....ya git in...it closes and there you are...inside in the dark and cold all alone...but...the stars were pretty.

Wife says I'm really dumb for being outside in a hammock in the dark in below freezing temps, but I thought it was pretty cool (pun intended), but I am going to pass on spending the night...at least tonight...it got pretty cold pretty quick out there.

Snake skins worked great too...skin them down on the hammock, untie the ropes and stuff it in a sack and you're done...how much easier could that be? None of those silly poles to fool with or stakes or nuffin. This has got to be illegal or will be soon...just too easy to be real!!

I also got the "free for asking" Scout for #3 son who is away in WV snowboarding. I did not put it up tonight, but will in the AM as soon as a couple cups of coffee and a diet Mt Dew go down the hatch....and maybe some eggs and bacon on toast with some mayo and a cinnamon roll.

I'm pretty convinced from my 45 minutes outside that this hammock sleeping inside thing could catch on with me...if it was only warmer. I tried my REI 3.5" inflatable mattress in the Safari and it fit just fine...just wasn't very warm. Maybe a dozen hand warmers in the sleeping bag would do it.

In the mean time, I'll be working to straighten the learning curve and see if I can figure out how to stay warm...at least there were no bugs out tonight!!

Brand new here as well.

I'm watching this thread because I am in the same boat. I just ordered the same model HH for motorcycle touring on my V-Strom. I'm WAY too cheap to spring for one of those quilts, although they do look quite nice.

I'm interested in seeing what works for you. I will be using my HH next weekend for the first time at a rally here in Florida, but its going to get down to the 40s.

Rick

Shug and Kurt (glad to see you spell your name the correct way)thanks for posting the video link. I have the HH Expedition but I have not used it yet since we get pretty cold here in the northeast last two trips I did we had overnight lows at -12°f and 0°f I opted to stay on the ground with a tarp and my 20° bag and man was I cold. Looks like I could stay warm with the super shelter so that will be the next thing on my list to buy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12