waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Beautiful walking country there, MS
    It truly is.
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    OX Gear
    Tarp
    OX Shed
    Insulation
    Custom m50 HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Moel Siabod View Post
    Does HF make money?
    Of course they do. They have to pay to keep the site up and running.
    I'm doing it wrong....

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The easiest way is to follow the directions here.

BTW, I merged your second thread with this one, given that they are about exactly the same thing.
    Those directions worked for me... Though I like having them, still some vendors I don't know that I wouldn't mind paying homage to...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by hammockBlazn View Post
    Of course they do. They have to pay to keep the site up and running.
    Of course I mean after running costs.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Guys, nobody is making a profit from HF. All funds go directly to operating costs, or are saved for future costs. All the admins and mods are strictly volunteers.
    looked like it needed repeating on the next page.

I have no problem with the one ad. I use it to make sure the connection is running. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just to repeat what AS said - HF brings in enough money through donations and advertisements to cover operating costs, bandwidth and software expenses, etc. We're able to comfortably meet those expenses, and any extra monies remain in the HF account for the future.

Frankly, we're much more concerned with the type of respectful and innovative community we have here than we are with its size, the amount of money it brings, etc. That's why we don't market, advertise, have membership drives, etc. We'd much rather have a smaller community with more productivity in ideas than a larger, more profitable community that looks like other internet communities.

That's why we try so hard to keep the focus solely on hammocks.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the Admins for keeping the advertising on the site to a bare minimum. There are so many forums out there that clog everything up with advertising so much that the page loads incredibly slowly and you can barely move your mouse without popups. Several even have ads mixed in amongst the posts. It's so annoying.

Thank you, Admins, for keeping this site fast and clean!
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7d
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Suspension
    straps whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    As the original banner ad of Hammock forum and a cottage that is coming into our tenth year, there are a few points worth adding here.

First the cottage manufactures are as our mission statement at JRB states the folk that "Enabled four season hammock camping" by developing and making available the gear to support the year round use of hammocks. They have invested, some heavily, to make this market...Ten years ago you could not buy an under quilt, a hammock optimized tarp, several different, efficient, non stretching and light hammock suspension systems and numerous secondary hammock related accessories.

Second we have contributed thousands of dollars to support and enable the growth of HF.

Third these contributions began way before there was a donating member program and way before there were banner ads.

Today these cottage contributions along with the donating members carry the huge population of casual users and members who choose not to donate and support the forum. You are welcome

The cottage vendors support the major trail associations and many of the forum advertised and organized hangs with direct donations and gear for raffles.

As a vetran of two wars I personally support each American's right to freedom of speech, freedom to associate, and the HF donating members personal right to turn off the subtle banner ads... Because these things are guaranteed by the US Constitution or stated in the HF policies.

As a cottage vendor and charter member of HF, personally I wish those who want to turn off the ads would do so privately and not make a crusade of their personal view at the expense (reduced ad reach) of long time supporters of the comunity and forum.

FTR, personally I look forward to the day that both the growth of hammock camping and both corporate and cottage sponsorship enables Hammockforms.net to be the internet model of a free, dynamic and civil community of a million plus members.

Pan
    Thank you and all the others who not only donate such large amounts of money to help keep this forum up and running but to all the time and effort given in developing gear for us all to enjoy. I personally didnt know so many cottages existed. I dont know much but I know more about hammocking than most of the folks in the outdoor stores who say they do know alot. Thank You Sponcers. I think if I were a sponcer I would ask for the banner to be larger. As it stands now the banner is almost unnoticable. I wonder if the op is just fishing

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Just to repeat what AS said - HF brings in enough money through donations and advertisements to cover operating costs, bandwidth and software expenses, etc. We're able to comfortably meet those expenses, and any extra monies remain in the HF account for the future.

Frankly, we're much more concerned with the type of respectful and innovative community we have here than we are with its size, the amount of money it brings, etc. That's why we don't market, advertise, have membership drives, etc. We'd much rather have a smaller community with more productivity in ideas than a larger, more profitable community that looks like other internet communities.

That's why we try so hard to keep the focus solely on hammocks.
    That is exactly what I thought the HF philosophy was and that is why I'm extremely grateful to you and all those who make it happen, and why I'm very happy to donate.

It was never my intention to throw any of that into question by asking if I could turn off the ads. It is simply my preference and it gave me an even greater appreciation of the forum to find out that I could.

Many, many thanks to you Jeff and all the others who make this the only forum I would consider taking part in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast