Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

DIY Weekend

It has been a full weekend for me, I finally got around to making my "Monster Kmart Quilt" and my new tarp. I worked most of Friday and Saturday behind the Thread injector. If I added it all up correctly it was around 15 hrs total for both projects. My boss would be beside himself if he could get half that out of me at work.

First off the Monster Kmart Underquilt:
    It is 67 inches long and 45 inches wide. I used two Kmart down pillows for stuffing. The baffles are 2.5 inches tall and I spaced them 5 inches apart. I don't know how much it ways yet, I've got to pick up a good scale. The shell material is 1.1 oz ripstop from Backwoods daydreamer (DIY Gear Supply). The cost for the Monstrosity is somewhere around $35, $12 for material, $20 for down plus tax and thread and baffles. The photo is a little out of focus (I think the lens was dirty). I have to change up my suspension, when I tried it out, it didn't fit just right.

The Tarp:
    The tarp is 132 inches long and each side is 58 inches. I used the Hex tarp plans from Backwoods Daydreamer and purchased all materials from them. The tarp is made from 70d Black nylon and the reinforcements are 200d. I chose the orange reflective pullouts because.... well I wanted to. I don't do any stealth camping so I figured the orange would look good against the black and the reflective will help with finding in the dark. I used 3/4 D rings at all corners and side pull outs plus ridgeline.

Anyway thought I'd share my new kit, up until now I had only used silver tarps from Walmart. They worked good but man are they heavy. Granted the tarp I made is not the lightest but I sure beets WW tarp.

I also tried a double hang yesterday afternoon. My daughter wanted to put up her hammock and read. The only problem was the wind was blowing. I raised the tarp higher on the tree and hung her hammock just above mine. Now I just need to add two more underquilts and one more tarp (if we use the above system of hanging) to outfit the hole family. I included a photo of the tarp at night to show off the shinny.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    nice job, all looks good

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Good looking kit amigo. What is the deal with the hang on the underquilt, give us the rundown and we may be able to talk you thru it. Loving the "shinny"!
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Looks great, a great sense of pride when you get to stand back and look at your work isnt it
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Eno Dn, Sn, DIY "Ahote"
    Tarp
    DIY soon
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie and straps
    Nicely done. I'm in the planning stage now for making my own UQ.
    Enjoy life's journey, but leave no tracks...

Mahna Mahna...

"The more we hang, the more we have to leave in the end" -Gresh

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Aardvark, the hang on the underquilt is bunching up around my shoulders but at the same time it is hanging really low below my back. As a temp I had mason line in the channels and shock cord tied on to that which was then connected with a "S" biner to my hammock suspension. I think I'm going to have to go with all shock cord. I was trying to save $$ with the mason line. I have channels on the head and foot plus down both sides. I think I will add shock cord to the end channels with a lock and a section of shock cord with tech line on both ends for the side channels. What do y'all think?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    lambskin rugs/pluq
    Suspension
    tree straps
    good work every thing looks grate

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Aardvark, the hang on the underquilt is bunching up around my shoulders but at the same time it is hanging really low below my back. As a temp I had mason line in the channels and shock cord tied on to that which was then connected with a "S" biner to my hammock suspension. I think I'm going to have to go with all shock cord. I was trying to save $$ with the mason line. I have channels on the head and foot plus down both sides. I think I will add shock cord to the end channels with a lock and a section of shock cord with tech line on both ends for the side channels. What do y'all think?
    Run shock cord thru side and end channels, you can get it cheapo at Harbor Freight, get the elastic truck net and unweave it, it will give you about 70 feet, $7 maybe cost. Triangle thingies to get it hanging closer to edges of hammock.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    www.supplycaptain.com has 1/8" shock cord for $7.00/100' -- easier than undoing a cargo net and more cord to boot.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    Black bird
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps or slings
    impressive , planning to start an uq myself,
    haven't yet worked out a plan on how to transfer the down from an old down bag to the new project.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast