Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

DIY Weekend

It has been a full weekend for me, I finally got around to making my "Monster Kmart Quilt" and my new tarp. I worked most of Friday and Saturday behind the Thread injector. If I added it all up correctly it was around 15 hrs total for both projects. My boss would be beside himself if he could get half that out of me at work.

First off the Monster Kmart Underquilt:
    It is 67 inches long and 45 inches wide. I used two Kmart down pillows for stuffing. The baffles are 2.5 inches tall and I spaced them 5 inches apart. I don't know how much it ways yet, I've got to pick up a good scale. The shell material is 1.1 oz ripstop from Backwoods daydreamer (DIY Gear Supply). The cost for the Monstrosity is somewhere around $35, $12 for material, $20 for down plus tax and thread and baffles. The photo is a little out of focus (I think the lens was dirty). I have to change up my suspension, when I tried it out, it didn't fit just right.

The Tarp:
    The tarp is 132 inches long and each side is 58 inches. I used the Hex tarp plans from Backwoods Daydreamer and purchased all materials from them. The tarp is made from 70d Black nylon and the reinforcements are 200d. I chose the orange reflective pullouts because.... well I wanted to. I don't do any stealth camping so I figured the orange would look good against the black and the reflective will help with finding in the dark. I used 3/4 D rings at all corners and side pull outs plus ridgeline.

Anyway thought I'd share my new kit, up until now I had only used silver tarps from Walmart. They worked good but man are they heavy. Granted the tarp I made is not the lightest but I sure beets WW tarp.

I also tried a double hang yesterday afternoon. My daughter wanted to put up her hammock and read. The only problem was the wind was blowing. I raised the tarp higher on the tree and hung her hammock just above mine. Now I just need to add two more underquilts and one more tarp (if we use the above system of hanging) to outfit the hole family. I included a photo of the tarp at night to show off the shinny.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts