Diy DL Asym with bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Just so someone doesn't make the same mistake as me, I should add:

The OP is cloning an Ultralight. It uses the 1.9 oz ripstop 70 denier. I was wanting to clone the Explorer Deluxe. I should have been after the 210 denier material. Not only did I forget that I wanted something that heavey but I may have also gotten a fabric that is even lighter than 1.9 oz. This mistake I made seems hard to make but after reading "1.9 oz ripstop" literally dozens and dozens of times in this thread, I just went looking for that. Even though my notes showed needing a fabric having a 210 denier rating. I know it's been asked before but aside from acquiring samples of ripstop from somewhere, does anyone know how to tell if I have 1.1 oz or 1.9 oz ripstop? Maybe I could bundle the piece I have and weigh it on a small digi scale? How translucent is the 1.9 oz stuff. Mine is fairly translucent.

Hammock
    DIY HH, DIY BB, DIY Stretchy side
    Tarp
    Any, keep you dry
    Insulation
    DIY IX + down UQs.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks heaps for your help. Was just reading through this and saw the question I posted originally, as I read it I was wondering the exact same thing, then I realised that it was a post originally by me. Cheers for your help.

Ghillieshot

Hammock
    Diy DL Asym with bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I did end up weighing a scrap piece and calculated it to be the 1oz stuff..not a problem as I've simply converted to a double layer..I've actually come a good way since last post..Just have to do bug net and all finished..pics to come

Hammock
    Diy DL Asym with bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by remstar View Post
    I have spent the last week reading this thread and have taken notes. I bought some ripstop from a local store. I am going with an 11ft piece x 60 inches. I'm affraid that my ripstop may only be 1.1 oz but can't say for certain as it didn't list the weight on the bolt. I'm going to go ahead and make it anyway. I'll try it out. If it won't sustain my 220lbs than maybe I'll give it to the wife. I was ready to pay close to 300 for a brand new hammock system. I only went to research a way to make my own UQ. That's when I came upon this thread. Now I'm going to make my own. Very excited. I have no sewing experience except a pillow I made back in middle school. Many years ago. I dug out this old 1969 kenmore machine and brought her back to life. It took some youtubing and some practice but I finally have the machine working quite well. I've just hemmed all 4 sides of my fabric. Now on to rolling and whipping.

This brings up a question: I understand that my ridgeline will make its' way through the whipping and be secured there. I understand that either my suspension will secure to the whipping itself as well as ridgeline, or it will secure to a loop that is secured to the whipping. My question is won't the knot simply slip of the end of the whipping? Or do I need to tie a knot in the actual whipping itself to make a kind of stop? I see Hennessy uses some sort of plastic piece at the end of the whipping that will catch whatever knot tries to slip off. It also has 2 melted holes through the whipping itself that the ridgeline and suspension line weave through and wrap around. Any reason I shouldn't try to copy that? Any insight is appreciated.

Also, Thank you to everyone who has offered any of the previous insight in this thread. A big thank you to Headchange4u for starting this thread. It is 7 years old and still going.
    I have this all sorted now.

Hammock
    Diy DL Asym with bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I ended up going with the following technique
    Easy Hammock Knot 2.0 - Easiest Hammock Ever: http://youtu.be/AJlEQpcbM1I
    I like how secure it is.
    I rolled ends towards centre.passed SRL through before folding end over like video shows..I made a continuous loop and used it to secure the fold..I made a fixed loop in the end of both sides of the SRL and passed them through the continuous loop before passing it through itself like video shows..very happy with the way it turned out..I'm going to whip it as well just for extra security....
    I grabbed some heavy duty eye bolts and hung it up in the basement..not only is this my first diy hammock, but it is my first hammock experience ever..it is by far the most comfortable thing I've laid on ever..

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Not sure if I missed this in the thread, but is the only reason to have the ends sewn 8" from the ends is for attaching the bugnet? If I went without an attached bugnet would not having the 8" sewn from the ends change the feel of the lay?
    thanks de wa4chq
    Last edited by wa4chq; 01-30-2015 at 07:37.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    Mayan, WarbonnetRR XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopee! Hitchcock
    So in my googling I found your drawing of what is just a rain fly. I thought it was hammock. As a hammock pattern, it does seems like an obvious idea.
    Fabric cut in a parallelogram shape, then gathered at the ends. This would create 'sags' opposite the corner you've marked 'intersect' (So 'C's would be the ends) These bulges could easily be 'managed' with Knotty Mod shock cords--or you could use the anchor points as with the Hennessey. The 'natural flat lay' would then be rotated diagonally from it's perpendicular point. The only downside is cutting down from longer fabric, and being stuck with a single directional diagonal lay. Somebody tell me what I'm missing before I chop up a bunch of fabric.

Hammock
    Hennessy Sparrow hybrid
    Tarp
    HEX12 winter tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    curently making a mini hennessy hammock for a friends dog :P just for funn. will post pictures when its done!

Hammock
    Hennessy Sparrow hybrid
    Tarp
    HEX12 winter tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by wa4chq View Post
    Not sure if I missed this in the thread, but is the only reason to have the ends sewn 8" from the ends is for attaching the bugnet? If I went without an attached bugnet would not having the 8" sewn from the ends change the feel of the lay?
    thanks de wa4chq
    curently tackling the same problem my self. will post pics when i start sewing this weekend. making a mini hammock as a trail and error project, before i start on mye 180cm wide, 360cm long hennessy twist hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950