Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    I just looked at lot closer at the side tie outs on my HH ULBA.

The side tie out is reinforced with a material cut in a triangular shape. I think the material has two purposes:

1. reinforce the tie out, and
    2. give the tie a predetermined angular shape.

Simply sewing webbing along the side for tie outs doesn't accomplish the second purpose. Rather, in that case, the angle formed by the hammock body at the tie out would be totally dependent on the position of the stake.

The reinforcing material forces the angle to be the same irregardless of exactly where the stake is positioned, within rather large bounds.

I think the reinforcing material acts somewhat like the structural ridgeline. The ridgeline determines the amount of sag. The reinforcement at the side tie outs is a major factor in determining the exact asymmetrical shape of the hammock.
    I think the reinforcements on the HH are just that, reinforcements. The shape of the netting as a whole is what gives the HH it's really asymm. shape. The hammock I made does have a distinct asymm. shape but adding zip on top portion will further define the shape. Even if the reinforcements were not present on the HH netting you would still get the same shape on the corners because of the shape of the bug netting is cut. We also have to consider that the triangle patches on the corners are just there to give HH a cleaner, more finished look.

I added the Supplex reinforcements to reduce stress on those tie out points, but they way that the webbing is sewn on it gives the side tie out points a very triangular shape when staked out. You can kinda see what I mean from the picture or the tie outs in the first post.

I hope to get some pics of it hanging this weekend and I will take some close-up photos to show you what I mean. Another reason the side tie outs were put on the way that I did is so I can go back and add the zipper to the Supplex side.

I will probably add a little reinforcement to the corners of the top covers I will make also.

I also called Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics and talked to them about zippers. The said that a tooth zipper would be best for this project. I was told that coil zippers are smoother and do better with corners, but they can clog with debris and are much more likely to freeze.

I decided on using a 2-Way separating zipper which mean I can unzip from either end of the hammock. Each side of my hammock is 101" but the longest zipper the have is 100". It's gonna be cutting it close but I think a small patch of Omni tape on each end to help seal everything up. The smallest size they have in a 100" tooth zipper is a #5. I would like to go with a #3 to save weight. The zippers at OWF are about 12.00 each and I am going to need 4 zippers if I am making 2 different top covers. OUCH.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    4 zippers?
    Possibly 3 since the zippers completely seperate. If the hammock has one edge with the pulls and one edge teeth only, then you repeat on the covers that would work..perhaps?
    hammock P T
    netting.. T P
    shield.. T P

I hope so, I've actually got out of bed at 4 am, fired up the computer all in an effort to save Headchange4u $12

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop View Post
    4 zippers?
    Possibly 3 since the zippers completely seperate. If the hammock has one edge with the pulls and one edge teeth only, then you repeat on the covers that would work..perhaps?
    hammock P T
    netting.. T P
    shield.. T P

I hope so, I've actually got out of bed at 4 am, fired up the computer all in an effort to save Headchange4u $12
    One zipper for each side is what I think he's saying, since the longest they have will only cover one side of the hammock. Then two zippers for hammock/bugnet, plus two more (only using one half on each side) for overcover. I think. You're right, it's late
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Separating zippers have an A and B side, one side with a stop and one side with a large tooth. Same zipper that is on jackets and such. That's why the are premade to length. You can see an illustration on the OWF site.

Each hammock edge will have a side A zipper and the side B will be on the top portion. Since I am going to have 2 different tops, a ripstop nylon and one made from noseeum netting, I will need an extra set of zippers so I can install another side B zipper on the second cover. I will have a set of side A's that won't be used. Is that confusing or what?

I have thought about trying to find a some of those $10 fleece sleeping bags at Big Lots and using the zippers off of them, assuming they are long enough. I will still be paying $10 per zipper, but at least I will have some fleece fabric to use for future projects to boot.

EDIT:
    I just measured the zipper on one of my Big Lots $10 fleece sleeping bag and it measures 107". WOOHOO. It is also a 2 way separating zipper with double pull tabs on each zipper. This zipper could also be trimmed on one end. All I would have to do is add new zipper stops and cut off the excess. I hope I can find more bags at Big Lots.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 03-03-2007 at 00:36.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop View Post
    4 zippers?
    hammock P T
    netting.. T P
    shield.. T P

You method may actually be the best route. I don't know why this zipper crap is so confusing to me . I may have to only buy 3 fleece sleeping bags.

I appreciate you trying to save me some cash.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I wanted to throw up a couple of pics of the sleeping bag zipper I may be using. If anyone sees a problem with this zipper let me know.

Zipper joined:

Zipper separated. Notice both zippers stay on one side:

Trimmable end of zipper:

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    You method may actually be the best route. I don't know why this zipper crap is so confusing to me . I may have to only buy 3 fleece sleeping bags.

I appreciate you trying to save me some cash.
    Hmm....now that I reread, I think he's right. Lets you use both halves of the third zipper.

I was wondering - how are you planning on making both ends separable? I didn't think they made double-pull zippers that separated on both ends.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Headchange - fleece sleeping bags have zippers that are about 108", cost about $10, you don't have to pay shipping, and you get a huge piece of fleece to play around with. Go to Walmart and look for Coleman brand.

Blackbishop - the zippers can separate at both ends if you want it to look like the sleeping bag zipper in the pic above. But if you turn one of the sliders around so it opens in the middle (like the TravelPod) instead of opening from each end (like the sleeping bag), you're out of luck. It could probably be rigged up but there's a risk of loosing a slider, which is probably why they're not made.

Re: using both sides of the same zipper on the top cover, I think it'll work but you have to be careful. Zippers also have a top side and bottom side, and they won't work if you flip only one side over. (Some do, at least...I just checked my pants zipper and it looks the same.) Or you can call it the inside and outside if that helps you understand.

But if you sew it right it should work. Sew it like Drop said...just make sure it's aligned so the insides/bottoms line up.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I suggest putting the sides with the zipper pulls on the bugnet and overcover. Then when you use the hammock without those the pulls won't bother you and you won't have to carry all the extra weight of them.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    I suggest putting the sides with the zipper pulls on the bugnet and overcover. Then when you use the hammock without those the pulls won't bother you and you won't have to carry all the extra weight of them.
    If I use Drop's method I will have one side with zipper one side without attached to the hammock.

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast